• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

atar estimate pls! (2 Viewers)

tehe21

HSC
school ranked 250-350
i was sick for half of my trials, so a lot of last min cramming - couldve done much better in legal.
trials were all pilot marked or marked directly by hsc markers
Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 6.26.05 pm.png

ps. 5-6 band 6s across every subject each year generally. usually 5-7 90+ atars per year too

Last edited:

K2Trappy

HSC
its hard to say cause low-rank schools have crazy mark inflation, u could be on track for a 98 rn or even 85

tehe21

HSC
its hard to say cause low-rank schools have crazy mark inflation, u could be on track for a 98 rn or even 85
do you think the fact that my exams have been marked by hsc markers or pilot marked against higher ranking schools mitigates the possible mark inflation?

K2Trappy

HSC
d

do you think the fact that my exams have been marked by hsc markers or pilot marked against higher ranking schools mitigates the possible mark inflation?
most schools have hsc markers, mark inflation IMO is cause of the difficulty of the paper, since low-rank school mostly have ppl who are less academically focused they tend to not really make "hard" papers

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560 your help would be appreciated :)
If past HSC cohorts at your school achieved 5-6 band 6's/E4's in each subject (which would be interesting when considering your school rank because this information indicates a potentially rather high success rate that is more consistent with a school ranked among the top 20-30), your current performance would be consistent with an ATAR between 94 and 96. In such a case, your performance can be considered favourable across your subjects, which are all likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. As such, favourable HSC exam performance will allow you to solidify your overall performance, because of which you should thoroughly prepare for all of your HSC exams.

However, if you meant that 5-6 band 6's/E4's is the total number of results in the top band, your current performance would instead be consistent with an ATAR in the low 80s range, that is, an ATAR of up to 84. In this case, English Extension 1 and Society and Culture are your best-performing subjects, especially given your optimal rank in each. Should you also achieve the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort for these two subjects, the moderation process will work in your favour, resulting in your overall HSC mark being made equal to your HSC exam mark, and hence giving you a great opportunity to maximise your result in both subjects, and consequently their contribution towards your ATAR.

The same can be suggested, about your performance in Studies of Religion I, although to a slightly lower extent. This means that there is more room for improvement in this subject compared to your best-performing subjects. It would therefore be good to allocate additional study time towards this subject, allowing you to address areas of improvement and have a better chance of performing well in its HSC exam.

On the other hand, your position in English Advanced, Modern History and Legal Studies indicates that these are your lowest-performing subjects. This is where the most improvement can be achieved. You may therefore wish to consider placing greater emphasis on these subjects in preparation for your HSC exams. This is because the more you improve, the higher your chances of a better ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

tehe21

HSC
If past HSC cohorts at your school achieved 5-6 band 6's/E4's in each subject (which would be interesting when considering your school rank because this information indicates a potentially rather high success rate that is more consistent with a school ranked among the top 20-30), your current performance would be consistent with an ATAR between 94 and 96. In such a case, your performance can be considered favourable across your subjects, which are all likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. As such, favourable HSC exam performance will allow you to solidify your overall performance, because of which you should thoroughly prepare for all of your HSC exams.

However, if you meant that 5-6 band 6's/E4's is the total number of results in the top band, your current performance would instead be consistent with an ATAR in the low 80s range, that is, an ATAR of up to 84. In this case, English Extension 1 and Society and Culture are your best-performing subjects, especially given your optimal rank in each. Should you also achieve the highest HSC exam mark in your cohort for these two subjects, the moderation process will work in your favour, resulting in your overall HSC mark being made equal to your HSC exam mark, and hence giving you a great opportunity to maximise your result in both subjects, and consequently their contribution towards your ATAR.

The same can be suggested, about your performance in Studies of Religion I, although to a slightly lower extent. This means that there is more room for improvement in this subject compared to your best-performing subjects. It would therefore be good to allocate additional study time towards this subject, allowing you to address areas of improvement and have a better chance of performing well in its HSC exam.

On the other hand, your position in English Advanced, Modern History and Legal Studies indicates that these are your lowest-performing subjects. This is where the most improvement can be achieved. You may therefore wish to consider placing greater emphasis on these subjects in preparation for your HSC exams. This is because the more you improve, the higher your chances of a better ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D
thank you so much! i probably shouldve been clearer about the amount of band 6s for each subject as it fluctuates year to year with a wide gap between the high achievers and the rest of the cohort, 5 was a generalisation and certainly not the same each year. That is interesting to hear about it being inconsistent with the ranking tho!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)