• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

explain uts course enrolment like im five (2 Viewers)

Neogotmyback

HSC
Hello all,
I have recieved an early entry offer for bachelor of business and international studies at UTS, and I will be choosing courses for my timetable soon but i am very confused. Do I choose what classes I want to do each semester, or are there set ones I have to do at certain times? Also, does every major get to choose electives? I have attached a photo below of what the handbook looks like. What does 'select 18 credit points of options' mean? What options? And are we talking business or language options? I am just very lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you :D

Attachments

Demons

HSC
Hello all,
I have recieved an early entry offer for bachelor of business and international studies at UTS, and I will be choosing courses for my timetable soon but i am very confused. Do I choose what classes I want to do each semester, or are there set ones I have to do at certain times? Also, does every major get to choose electives? I have attached a photo below of what the handbook looks like. What does 'select 18 credit points of options' mean? What options? And are we talking business or language options? I am just very lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wait I thought that you can only select your classes after ATAR'S came out and UTS has confirmed that you met the ATAR of 69.

Demons

HSC
No you can start enrolling from the 11th of Nov
wth, what if you already chose all your classes and then UTS comes out of nowhere and be like "uh hey, you didn't meet the 69 so like imma just make you leave even though you chose all your classes". 🤣

Neogotmyback

HSC
wth, what if you already chose all your classes and then UTS comes out of nowhere and be like "uh hey, you didn't meet the 69 so like imma just make you leave even though you chose all your classes". 🤣
IKR, but I think most people probably achieve a 69 atar anyway.

liamkk112

HSC
Hello all,
i'd recommend following the sequence in the handbook, because to do some later year subjects you need to have complete the prerequisite subjects, so it's a good idea to just do it in order if you don't wanna deal with looking through all the subject requirements

actually looking at the handbook for that degree they don't list out every combination (prob coz there's too many). you can contact the student center if you want and they'll tell you the recommended sequence though (https://www.uts.edu.au/current-students/contacts/uts-student-centre) based on whatever majors you want to take

for the bachelor of business it looks like you can either choose to do two majors where you don't have any electives, or you can do a whole bunch of stuff with sub majors or taking additional subjects under your majors, or to just do electives. so it depends on what you want to do

Demons

HSC
i'd recommend following the sequence in the handbook, because to do some later year subjects you need to have complete the prerequisite subjects, so it's a good idea to just do it in order if you don't wanna deal with looking through all the subject requirements

actually looking at the handbook for that degree they don't list out every combination (prob coz there's too many). you can contact the student center if you want and they'll tell you the recommended sequence though (https://www.uts.edu.au/current-students/contacts/uts-student-centre) based on whatever majors you want to take

for the bachelor of business it looks like you can either choose to do two majors where you don't have any electives, or you can do a whole bunch of stuff with sub majors or taking additional subjects under your majors, or to just do electives. so it depends on what you want to do
hey @liamkk112 is it ok if I can ask what university course you are doing and what uni you go to?

Demons

HSC
yeah im doing a bachelor of mathematical sciences at uts rn
How do you like UTS because im having a dilemma on if I should go to Macquarie or UTS cause I have early entry offers for both in the Bachelor of Cybersecurity.

liamkk112

HSC
How do you like UTS because im having a dilemma on if I should go to Macquarie or UTS cause I have early entry offers for both in the Bachelor of Cybersecurity.
its pretty chill, i like it, it's close to central so there's no public transit transfers which makes getting there easy if you live further from the city, if u live near macquarie tho it's obv easier to go there in terms of distance

campus is okay, it's small but at least everything is in the same area so it's not too bad to get between classes and the library is pretty nice, macquarie has a really nice campus tho and much more leafy (uts is at least right near the city tho so if you like going out there that's a thing)

in terms of content, i've taken a few subjects from the faculty of engineering and it and it's been good, i really like the class on c programming that i'm taking this sem, ik the faculty is pretty up to date with all the new technologies and stuff too. there's a lot of project and group work in the faculty so if you're interested in making stuff rather than just learning the content it's good, eg my group project this sem for c is creating a compression and encryption library which is fairly hands on for a first year course (they always encourage us to use more advanced stuff from outside of the class too and give us project ideas, and even offer extra credit if you have an interesting project u want to present lol, though i'm not sure if that applies to every class). compared to others unis tho uts is a bit less theoretical and content doesn't necessarily go as deep, especially in the compsci areas like cybersec which is usually more focused on industry standards and new technologies rather than getting into the rigorous stuff behind it, though from memory macquarie is pretty similar in their approach.

tbh most of the unis r gonna be a pretty similar experience lol, i'd just pick based off location and whatever classes they offer if there's any major difference there. besides that, just pick on vibes basically

Demons

HSC
its pretty chill, i like it, it's close to central so there's no public transit transfers which makes getting there easy if you live further from the city, if u live near macquarie tho it's obv easier to go there in terms of distance

campus is okay, it's small but at least everything is in the same area so it's not too bad to get between classes and the library is pretty nice, macquarie has a really nice campus tho and much more leafy (uts is at least right near the city tho so if you like going out there that's a thing)

in terms of content, i've taken a few subjects from the faculty of engineering and it and it's been good, i really like the class on c programming that i'm taking this sem, ik the faculty is pretty up to date with all the new technologies and stuff too. there's a lot of project and group work in the faculty so if you're interested in making stuff rather than just learning the content it's good, eg my group project this sem for c is creating a compression and encryption library which is fairly hands on for a first year course (they always encourage us to use more advanced stuff from outside of the class too and give us project ideas, and even offer extra credit if you have an interesting project u want to present lol, though i'm not sure if that applies to every class). compared to others unis tho uts is a bit less theoretical and content doesn't necessarily go as deep, especially in the compsci areas like cybersec which is usually more focused on industry standards and new technologies rather than getting into the rigorous stuff behind it, though from memory macquarie is pretty similar in their approach.

tbh most of the unis r gonna be a pretty similar experience lol, i'd just pick based off location and whatever classes they offer if there's any major difference there. besides that, just pick on vibes basically
Oooh I like the project work you're doing it sounds fun, yea to be honest I might just go with UTS mainly because I live close to it and because I love the city and as you said that they both are pretty similar in their approaches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)