• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

mod 5 phy prjectiles (1 Viewer)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
soo I recently started mod 5 physics and dont understand how you find the range
whats the formula? the y x subscripts is confusing the heck out of me coz Im used to the normal v=u+at etc etc in yr 11 😭

is there a fixed formula to find the range of a projectile? theres multiple when I search like one involving angles and one without so im confused

so yeahh thanks!

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
whats the formula? the y x subscripts is confusing the heck out of me coz Im used to the normal v=u+at etc etc in yr 11 😭

is there a fixed formula to find the range of a projectile? theres multiple when I search like one involving angles and one without so im confused

so yeahh thanks!
whatevr u do dont use integration. I did that in my zhangs test and I had to solve a quartic 😭 😭 😭

coolcat6778

HSC

so yeahh thanks!
This is literally the most basic thing. People like you are why the physics syllabus has no more math than it does.

use this with the y component. That allows you to find the time of flight. Then using this formula to find t if you cannot factorise. First you make everything equal to zero. Then using the formula sx=ut you can find the range using time of flight and x component

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
This is literally the most basic thing. People like you are why the physics syllabus has no more math than it does.
yeah so help me instead of berating me 😭 I know its basic and im probably gonna look back on this in a couple of days and be like 'why tf did I ask this' but rn idk

liamkk112

HSC

so yeahh thanks!
yes, we know that s = ut+0.5at^2 right
so in the x direction, thats
s_x = u_xt+0.5(0)t^2
or s_x = u_xt as we assume 0 acceleration in horizontal direction
now in general u_x=ucos(theta) where u is initial velocity, theta is the angle of elevation that the projectile is launched at (this is clearly seen through drawing a triangle)
that’s where the theta can come in, you just sub that into the above formula

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
yes, we know that s = ut+0.5at^2 right
so in the x direction, thats
s_x = u_xt+0.5(0)t^2
or s_x = u_xt as we assume 0 acceleration in horizontal direction
now in general u_x=ucos(theta) where u is initial velocity, theta is the angle of elevation that the projectile is launched at (this is clearly seen through drawing a triangle)
that’s where the theta can come in, you just sub that into the above formula
ohh 💀 ok tysm

igor9

HSC
think abt it logically. the range is when Ry = 0, then find the time associated with that, and then sub that time into Rx. obviously just use the corresponding SUVAT for these.

coolcat6778

HSC
whatevr u do dont use integration. I did that in my zhangs test and I had to solve a quartic 😭 😭 😭
You mean quadratic? Quartics are polynomials to the power of 4, how can you derive a quartic from a quadratic? Quadratics are literally the most easy thing to solve. If you only have 2 terms without a constant (a term thats just a number), factorise and solve using the null factor law, if you have three terms you use the quadratic formula. The stupid hsc syllabus assumes you can't solve quadratics, yet they assume you know log laws even though standard doesn't even touch logarithms let alone exponentials.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)