• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Engineering Studies HSC Prediction/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

PRX

HSC
I think there's gonna be more marks on drawing this year since last year didn't have as much of that as 2022 and 2021,
Anything you guys have in mind?

mellysmelly

HSC
I think there's gonna be more marks on drawing this year since last year didn't have as much of that as 2022 and 2021,
i recon, there possibly will be, given in my trial paper there was two drawing questions

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
It’s possible that there will be a heavier focus on drawing this year, especially if previous years didn’t emphasize it as much. Here are a few common areas they might ask for drawing tasks:

1. Diagrams for Practical Experiments: You could be asked to draw and label apparatus used in common experiments, especially for chemistry or physics. Make sure you're familiar with drawing setups for titrations, electrolysis, circuits, and projectile motion experiments.
  2. Graphs: Be prepared to draw accurate graphs, particularly for experiments involving motion, energy, or rates of reaction. Understanding how to plot data correctly, including proper scaling, labeling axes, and drawing best-fit lines, is crucial.
  3. Molecular Structures: For chemistry, you might be asked to draw Lewis structures, structural formulas, or even electron configurations. Be sure to revise how to represent molecules, ions, or even equilibrium systems graphically.
  4. Force Diagrams/Free Body Diagrams: In physics, drawing force diagrams to show forces acting on objects or systems, such as inclined planes or projectiles, could pop up. Brush up on how to represent vectors, friction, normal force, and gravity.
  5. Energy Level Diagrams: For chemistry, energy level diagrams for endothermic/exothermic reactions might be something they throw in. Practice drawing potential energy diagrams and labeling activation energy and enthalpy change.
Any of these ring a bell for you, or is there a specific type of diagram or drawing you’re worried about?

HOPE THIS HELPS 😀

mellysmelly

HSC
It’s possible that there will be a heavier focus on drawing this year, especially if previous years didn’t emphasize it as much. Here are a few common areas they might ask for drawing tasks:

1. Diagrams for Practical Experiments: You could be asked to draw and label apparatus used in common experiments, especially for chemistry or physics. Make sure you're familiar with drawing setups for titrations, electrolysis, circuits, and projectile motion experiments.
  2. Graphs: Be prepared to draw accurate graphs, particularly for experiments involving motion, energy, or rates of reaction. Understanding how to plot data correctly, including proper scaling, labeling axes, and drawing best-fit lines, is crucial.
  3. Molecular Structures: For chemistry, you might be asked to draw Lewis structures, structural formulas, or even electron configurations. Be sure to revise how to represent molecules, ions, or even equilibrium systems graphically.
  4. Force Diagrams/Free Body Diagrams: In physics, drawing force diagrams to show forces acting on objects or systems, such as inclined planes or projectiles, could pop up. Brush up on how to represent vectors, friction, normal force, and gravity.
  5. Energy Level Diagrams: For chemistry, energy level diagrams for endothermic/exothermic reactions might be something they throw in. Practice drawing potential energy diagrams and labeling activation energy and enthalpy change.
Any of these ring a bell for you, or is there a specific type of diagram or drawing you’re worried about?

HOPE THIS HELPS 😀
I don't think they will ask any of these except for 4. yes its expected to do fbd anyway for most math in engineering. In terms of drawings I think its more the AS1100 drawings and pictoral drawings they were talking about. but yes I agree fbd will be expected, probably also manufacting processes, diagrams and also microstructures

HscAddict1111

HSC
ye definitely and I think they will ask maybe fill in a table and draw the different wave graphs for telecommunication e.g phase modulation etc

wizzkids

HSC
Make sure you are familiar with the basic distinction between a pictorial drawing and an orthogonal (orthographic) drawing.
Remember that hidden lines are NOT to show on pictorial drawing.
Make sure you are familiar with AS1100 rules for dimensioning orthogonal drawings.
Make sure you are familiar with AS1100 rules for sectioning drawings (half-section, full-section, broken or partial-section, auxiliary section) and which parts are NOT to be sectioned (pins, fasteners, shafts and webs).
Make sure you have practised 2-D development drawing of a 3-D shape.

StudyNotesTips

HSC
N/A
Make sure you are familiar with the basic distinction between a pictorial drawing and an orthogonal (orthographic) drawing.
Remember that hidden lines are NOT to show on pictorial drawing.
Make sure you are familiar with AS1100 rules for dimensioning orthogonal drawings.
Make sure you are familiar with AS1100 rules for sectioning drawings (half-section, full-section, broken or partial-section, auxiliary section) and which parts are NOT to be sectioned (pins, fasteners, shafts and webs).
Make sure you have practised 2-D development drawing of a 3-D shape.
Listen to this man!

mellysmelly

HSC
hi guys,,,, i just wanted to ask if you have encountered the need for this formula: 1728620363472.png
and if it is worth knowing? I dont think ive seen it in any past papers but please do let me know if its worth knowing and if so can you explain what its used for?

THANK YOU

PRX

HSC
Yeah, tho not often since it only came up twice since the new syllabus, but since its engineering so you never know when it could come up again so it wont hurt to know.

This formula is used for pressure in any kind of fluid, P_o is the external pressure, p is the density of fluid (use 1000 for water), g is 10 and h is height (m), pgh together is the internal pressure, and then you can use the final value with P=F/A if they ask for it (like in 2020 Q22 d))

mellysmelly

HSC
Yeah, tho not often since it only came up twice since the new syllabus, but since its engineering so you never know when it could come up again so it wont hurt to know.

This formula is used for pressure in any kind of fluid, P_o is the external pressure, p is the density of fluid (use 1000 for water), g is 10 and h is height (m), pgh together is the internal pressure, and then you can use the final value with P=F/A if they ask for it (like in 2020 Q22 d))
thank you so much!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)