• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about civil engineering (1 Viewer)

TheSpecial1

HSC
Hello to whoever is reading this

I really regret not applying for macquarie early entry and I really want to go there for civil engineering. I'm scared I might not get the degree as it is an 80 atar and I have not been doing too well in school. Are there any other ways to get the degree if my atar is not high enough other than the pathways?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Transferring is always an option. You can transfer to MQ's Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) after you complete a sufficient part of another degree, as long as your results in the other degree are of a sufficiently high standard. You can approach a transfer in one of two ways, either internally or externally.

An internal transfer means studying a degree different from your desired one and doing so at the same university where you want to study your desired degree. In your case, this means studying a degree other than the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), but still at MQ. The main advantage of an internal transfer is that it is convenient since you would keep attending the same university and would likely be prioritised over students wanting to transfer to MQ from other universities. The disadvantage of this is in the event that you fail to transfer to the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), in which case you would end up enrolled in a degree that is not your preferred one.

An external transfer means studying a degree, preferably your desired one, at a different university, and then applying to transfer to the desired degree at the desired university. In your case, this means enrolling in a degree, preferably a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours), at a university other than MQ, then later applying to transfer to MQ's Bachelor of Engineering (Honours). The main advantage of this is in the event that a transfer fails, you would have ensured that you are still studying your desired degree instead of an unrelated degree. On the other hand, the amount of credit that you can get for previous study may differ and may reduce your progress in the sense that you would have to take some units again, although this is also possible in the case of an internal transfer. If you wish to transfer externally, the LSR for WSU's Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) is 68, which is significantly lower and more achievable than their Bachelor of Engineering Advanced (Honours), which requires an LSR of 90.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
@jimmysmith560 Other than Unsw, What unis are the best for civil engineering that also doesn't have an insane atar like unsw or usyd. List the top 5 please/
There are not many universities in NSW that offer a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in civil with an ATAR/LSR requirement of less than 80 (assuming that this is what constitutes a reasonable requirement given your circumstances). They are as follows:

UniversityDegreeATAR/LSR
Western Sydney UniversityBachelor of Engineering (Honours) (Civil)68
University of NewcastleBachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)75
Charles Sturt UniversityBachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours)75

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)