• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Solving quad eq with complex coefficient (2 Viewers)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
Doquestions like these pop up often in 4u exams? Its easy but the amount of simplifying is annoying asf and if ur not careful with the simplifying you can easily fuck up the final answer so..

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Doquestions like these pop up often in 4u exams? Its easy but the amount of simplifying is annoying asf and if ur not careful with the simplifying you can easily fuck up the final answer so..
i mean finding roots of any complex poly let alone a quadratric i'd say it very common. Though u can make mistakes u can always plug ur values back in to see if they work

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
ok yeah :( im prolly gonna come back in a few weeks and laugh at this. im prob just being dramatic 😭😭

liamkk112

HSC
does your calculator not have complex numbers? on mine you can just type stuff into the calc and it'll simplify it for you, so you can just put in the quadratic formula and it'll tell you the answer
though obviously if you get something complex under the square root, you still have to find the roots of the complex number

appleali

HSC
ok so with these questions, ive seen them q11-12
usually a 2mark part i, where they ask you to find square roots of a complex number
then part ii is 2 or 3 marks and you use the quadratic equation where the square root part is the square root from part i
nothing too hard just needs some practice

Sam14113

HSC
Presumably your big time sink is finding square roots of complex numbers.

For some inexplicable reason schools very rarely teach this well.

Consider that you want to find a number x+iy such that its square is 3+4i.

By squaring both sides and equating real and imaginary components you get the equations x^2 -y^2 = 3 and 2xy = 4.

But you also get |x + iy|^2 = |3 + 4i|, from which you get x^2 + y^2 = 5.

The first and third equations are pretty trivial to solve simultaneously using elimination. The second equation will just tell you whether x and y have the same sign or different signs.

This to me is a lot easier than only using the first 2 equations. And hopefully should save you just under half a page.

epicmaths

HSC
N/A
This is amazing Sam I've actually forgotten this trick exists, although the version I've seen gets the same thing through squaring and adding eq1 and 2.

I always recommend students try get the values through inspection before they delve into time wastage >.<

appleali

HSC
This is amazing Sam I've actually forgotten this trick exists, although the version I've seen gets the same thing through squaring and adding eq1 and 2.

I always recommend students try get the values through inspection before they delve into time wastage >.<
yeah i never even thought of that method
it’s acc so good
usually i get it via inspection but when the values are non trivial then it is very useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)