• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i need advice (1 Viewer)

fromthethickofit

HSC
for context i do business adv english adv math engineering d&t and sor 1 and a filler 1 unit i just got my prelim results back for 2u math and i failed 30/70 got 50/100 for the first test and 98/100 for the 2nd test so i need advice on how to improve, my math skills really feel like theyre falling off ive currently just started year 12 so should i grind the topics for this term rlly hard and then on the 6 week break go over year 11-10 topics idkk also i seem to understand everything im being taught in class and at tutor though i somehow fumble in the test with the dumbest mistakes does this mean i just need to practise more perhaps textbook questions or smthing.

also im planning to drop engineering studies and keep sor 1 even though ive failed both assessments though i didnt study for sor am i delousinal to think that i can go from a failing mark to a 17+/20 in sor if i actually payed attention i need advice, thanks.

MPabe22

HSC
i guess for math just do a bunch of practice tests a few weeks before each test and after a few tests only do questions in the tests from the topics ur not as good in. thats what i did atleast

person3024

HSC
sor 1 id say its definitely doable and achievable to improve your mark, usually with essays its the structure and the way your quotes are integrated w info

ringading

HSC
for context i do business adv english adv math engineering d&t and sor 1 and a filler 1 unit i just got my prelim results back for 2u math and i failed 30/70 got 50/100 for the first test and 98/100 for the 2nd test so i need advice on how to improve, my math skills really feel like theyre falling off ive currently just started year 12 so should i grind the topics for this term rlly hard and then on the 6 week break go over year 11-10 topics idkk also i seem to understand everything im being taught in class and at tutor though i somehow fumble in the test with the dumbest mistakes does this mean i just need to practise more perhaps textbook questions or smthing.

also im planning to drop engineering studies and keep sor 1 even though ive failed both assessments though i didnt study for sor am i delousinal to think that i can go from a failing mark to a 17+/20 in sor if i actually payed attention i need advice, thanks.
past papers is a life saver

i know is dumb but do your homework - the textbook questions
ask for help from your teachers
try understand the concepts and not just the steps
familiarising with questions help tackle future questions

idk how to give advice for math except maybe make a cheat sheet on formulas and examples for topics u particularly don't understand, past papers, looking at the answers/feedback and see where you went wrong and redo those questions

fromthethickofit

HSC
sor 1 id say its definitely doable and achievable to improve your mark, usually with essays its the structure and the way your quotes are integrated w info
do i just revise everything learnt in class, ask the teacher q do u have any other advice <#####333

person3024

HSC
do i just revise everything learnt in class, ask the teacher q do u have any other advice <#####333
yeah make sure youve got all your info for each subtopic under each religion so like ethics, significant person/practice, principal beliefs and then try practice responses and essays to get marked by your teacher (i really shouldve done this more)

fromthethickofit

HSC
yeah make sure youve got all your info for each subtopic under each religion so like ethics, significant person/practice, principal beliefs and then try practice responses and essays to get marked by your teacher (i really shouldve done this more)
thanks, also do you know any main structures i should be using for essays, 5 markers

ringading

HSC
thanks, also do you know any main structures i should be using for essays, 5 markers
don't repeat the question
my teacher said if your starting with a definition make sure its the relevant definition and not a word that everyone can pretty much know. know your syllabus well and talk about the dot points within the syllabus. give examples/evidence and explain - don't yap too much (try not to make up quotes THEY KNOW)

just do like a TEEL paragraph if all hope is lost

person3024

HSC
don't repeat the question
my teacher said if your starting with a definition make sure its the relevant definition and not a word that everyone can pretty much know. know your syllabus well and talk about the dot points within the syllabus. give examples/evidence and explain - don't yap too much (try not to make up quotes THEY KNOW)

just do like a TEEL paragraph if all hope is lost
this!! know your syllabus it actually helps sm because you can basically use it to predict the questions, a lot of SOR questions are pretty similar so after a while of practice you know the gist of what to write based on the topic
yeah make sure you have a list of relevant quotes/evidence and integrateee them, this was one of the bigger issues my class had
i remember my teacher saying that a 5 marker is on average around 13 lines?? (depends on your handwriting tho and if im wrong someone correct me pls i cannot remember)

ringading

HSC
this!! know your syllabus it actually helps sm because you can basically use it to predict the questions, a lot of SOR questions are pretty similar so after a while of practice you know the gist of what to write based on the topic
yeah make sure you have a list of relevant quotes/evidence and integrateee them, this was one of the bigger issues my class had
i remember my teacher saying that a 5 marker is on average around 13 lines?? (depends on your handwriting tho and if im wrong someone correct me pls i cannot remember)
yess syllabus is really helpful so try know that and some general dot points for each with lots of key terminology. markers love good terminology

i think 13 lines yeh, depends on the handwriting (i have fat diabolical handwriting so mine requires more) but the lines given should be pretty average of how much you should be writing generally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)