• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ancient History Section IV - Historical Periods (1 Viewer)

radagastthebrown

HSC
I've noticed that every single HSC question for The Greek World in the Historical Periods topic that they always seem to ask one question from the Persian Wars, and one question from the Development of Athens and the Athenian Empire. All the CSSA trials (and others) have also followed this pattern. Does anybody else have other historical periods that follow this pattern? Do you reckon they could ever throw a curveball and ask two questions from the same point?

I'm wondering because I might just completely neglect Delian League, etc and just focus on Persian Wars.

E.g.
(a) Discuss the role of Themistocles in this period
OR
(b) To what extent did the Delian League transform into an Athenian Empire

HSC
I've noticed that every single HSC question for The Greek World in the Historical Periods topic that they always seem to ask one question from the Persian Wars, and one question from the Development of Athens and the Athenian Empire. All the CSSA trials (and others) have also followed this pattern. Does anybody else have other historical periods that follow this pattern? Do you reckon they could ever throw a curveball and ask two questions from the same point?

I'm wondering because I might just completely neglect Delian League, etc and just focus on Persian Wars.

E.g.
OR
Don’t do that, as they can easily ask for Athenian empire and Sparta/athens sections easily

radagastthebrown

HSC
Don’t do that, as they can easily ask for Athenian empire and Sparta/athens sections easily
Do you reckon essay plans on;

– Invasion of 490 BC: Battle of Marathon, role of Miltiades

– Impact of Persian Wars

– Reasons for Greek victory and Persian defeat

– Inter-war period: preparation and developments in Persia and Greece

– Invasion of 490 BC: Battle of Marathon, role of Miltiades

Is this enough? They've asked questions on all the other dot points for Persian Wars, and the 'Impact of Persian Wars' comes from the Athens/Sparta dot point.

Edit: Nevermind, just gonna suck it up do it the hard way 😭

Last edited:

Cute-Duckie

Arbitrarily Active Member
HSC

E.g.
OR
I've been wanting to only prepare for one half of the syllabus, same as you, but I wouldn't do it. They can ask for ANY two dot points - they might throw us an absolute curveball, who knows. In the ENA paper this year they expected an imaginative to at least be an option for Mod C, but didn't give one, and some people were cooked because of it. The same could happen to Ancient, with two questions on more similar dot points. You can prepare more in-depth for the Persian Wars maybe, but don't neglect Athens/Sparta.

radagastthebrown

HSC
I've been wanting to only prepare for one half of the syllabus, same as you, but I wouldn't do it. They can ask for ANY two dot points - they might throw us an absolute curveball, who knows. In the ENA paper this year they expected an imaginative to at least be an option for Mod C, but didn't give one, and some people were cooked because of it. The same could happen to Ancient, with two questions on more similar dot points. You can prepare more in-depth for the Persian Wars maybe, but don't neglect Athens/Sparta
Should I just make essay plans for each dot point then (excluding question asked from 2023, 2022, and maybe even 2021)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)