• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English studies (1 Viewer)

jane1820

HSC
Im doing so bad in yr 10 eng (i just finished my 3hr cry over english) to an extent im considering doing english studies

any comments?

tbh my deputy will NOT let me do this subject due to me being ‘a selective student’ but screw what she thinks im deadass struggling so much w yr 10 eng which is more basic than standard eng

Demons

goated member
HSC
Im doing so bad in yr 10 eng (i just finished my 3hr cry over english) to an extent im considering doing english studies

any comments?

tbh my deputy will NOT let me do this subject due to me being ‘a selective student’ but screw what she thinks im deadass struggling so much w yr 10 eng which is more basic than standard eng
Yea you can take it, but you'll have to do really good in it to make sure you get a reasonable ATAR, but even then, within the past few years not a single student has gotten a band5 or above, so you're just restricting your ATAR since English has to count anyways, you're better off doing standard and not trying too hard and getting band 4 then trying really hard and being restricted to a band 4 in studies.

carrotsss

HSC
almost everyone struggles with english that’s fine, but english studies is not a good idea you pretty much have to state rank 1 by a huge margin to get a good ATAR. The thing is if ur going to put in all the effort to do that to get a good ATAR you might as well be putting that effort into English standard or advanced instead

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

any comments?

Do NOT do English Studies. There is a reason why plenty of schools - even those that offer English Standard - do not offer it. Since it got introduced in the new syllabus there haven't been any Band 6s for it, or a single person who took it that got an ATAR in the 90s. It's also full of dropkicks who don't care about school since it is also a non-ATAR course

Are you being considered for English Advanced since you are a 'selective student'? Regardless, I highly recommend you picking English Advanced as the difficulty gap between Advanced and Standard is slim to non-existent, and you have a higher chance of getting a Band 6 in Advanced than in Standard as long as you put in the effort as the cohort in Advanced is technically 'better', allowing for better alignment in Advanced even though the scaling for both courses remain the same. (Note: Less than 100 students got a Band 6 in Standard vs around 3000 for Advanced last year even though there are less people in Advanced than in Standard... I would highly recommend choosing Advanced English and then just seeing how you go in Year 11)

jane1820

HSC
almost everyone struggles with english that’s fine, but english studies is not a good idea you pretty much have to state rank 1 by a huge margin to get a good ATAR. The thing is if ur going to put in all the effort to do that to get a good ATAR you might as well be putting that effort into English standard or advanced instead
Bro its bc i spent 3hrs crying today bc i didnt know how to
‘Analyse how Stan Grant‘s speech explores collective resistance towards racism.’
N the thought that i’ll be doing eng adv next yr stressed me out so much so i started crying harder

the thing abt me crying is bc i believe im overwhelmed by the whole thing, like my teacher doesnt explain these typa questions bc ‘you are the selective class and should know this’ and honestly everyone in my class knows how to answer these questions except me (i think its bc i did primary in a non-english speaking country n for yrs 7-9 i went to the 3rd lowest skl in the state n wasnt taught all these)

jane1820

HSC
Do NOT do English Studies. There is a reason why plenty of schools - even those that offer English Standard - do not offer it. Since it got introduced in the new syllabus there haven't been any Band 6s for it, or a single person who took it that got an ATAR in the 90s. It's also full of dropkicks who don't care about school since it is also a non-ATAR course

Are you being considered for English Advanced since you are a 'selective student'? Regardless, I highly recommend you picking English Advanced as the difficulty gap between Advanced and Standard is slim to non-existent, and you have a higher chance of getting a Band 6 in Advanced than in Standard as long as you put in the effort as the cohort in Advanced is technically 'better', allowing for better alignment in Advanced even though the scaling for both courses remain the same. (Note: Less than 100 students got a Band 6 in Standard vs around 3000 for Advanced last year even though there are less people in Advanced than in Standard... I would highly recommend choosing Advanced English and then just seeing how you go in Year 11)
Yh my skl does english studies for the refugees (i think we have 17% or something of our students refugees) and ppl who want to got to TAFE
its just that im really worried abt advanced like i cant answer yr 10 english how am i to do advanced???

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Yh my skl does english studies for the refugees (i think we have 17% or something of our students refugees) and ppl who want to got to TAFE
its just that im really worried abt advanced like i cant answer yr 10 english how am i to do advanced???
There is a two-year gap between the end of Year 10 and the end of Year 12, a lot can change in between. You can vastly improve your marks especially in Year 11 - a time where you can analyse where you're going wrong, and how to fix certain study habits or mindsets towards studying.

Your previous post suggests that a lot of your struggles stem from your teachers not explaining fundamental aspects of the English course properly to you. If you go to a partial selective school, the selective cohort and the non-selective cohorts are mixed rather than being separate classes, so your teachers will have to accommodate for that. A lot of people I know struggled with Year 10 English (and even Year 11 English as well as the start of the HSC year because the transition was hard for them). But if you put in some effort and continuously ask your teachers for help (or even if they don't. Seek out a tutor. Look at exemplars of essays available online. There is way more support for Year 11 and 12 English out there than for Year 10), you can definitely improve with your marks.

aqwerty13402

HSC

Has there actually been 0 b6's ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)