• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ancient History Predictions/Thoughts (6 Viewers)

radagastthebrown

HSC
wh

which question did you answer for greek world!!
Was going to do a) but I hadn't studied enough for Artemisium or Thermopylae, knew I wouldn't be able to get quotes in if I picked it, so went with b). structure was a bit weird because I didn't really know what to talk about beyond Pericles.

The essay questions were a bit shit tbh, but still doable.

karamazova

HSC
Was going to do a) but I hadn't studied enough for Artemisium or Thermopylae, knew I wouldn't be able to get quotes in if I picked it, so went with b). structure was a bit weird because I didn't really know what to talk about beyond Pericles.
ahh i know what you mean i spent so long deliberating between them because i knew so little for either but i had to go for a) because i at least knew some quotes and historians but i completely forgot the outcome of artemisium i had to make shit up and my structure was so questionable

i kind of wish i answered b) because my vague structure was the archonship and areopagus, influence of the thetes, payment for civil service, ostracism, etc but i wasn’t confident in it </3

radagastthebrown

HSC
ahh i know what you mean i spent so long deliberating between them because i knew so little for either but i had to go for a) because i at least knew some quotes and historians but i completely forgot the outcome of artemisium i had to make shit up and my structure was so questionable

i kind of wish i answered b) because my vague structure was the archonship and areopagus, influence of the thetes, payment for civil service, ostracism, etc but i wasn’t confident in it </3
My essay probably wasn't that great. I sorta did a huge paragraph on Pericles' legislation (Payment of the Jurors, Zeigutae to Archonship, reducing power of the areopagus-->Boule, Ecclesia, etc).
Then I tried desperately to link the Delian League --> Athenian Empire to the question since I studied so much on that, so I mostly spoke about how the Delian Leagues transformation to the Athenian empire was key to the preservation of democracy in Athens, since they were facing threats not only from the Persian Empire, but also the oligarchic Peloponnese.
Third one I tried to say that Pericles' development of Athens was crucial to the increasing public participation (thus developing democracy) among the lower classes (building Parthenon required artisans and lower class labourers). The 'Golden Age' of Athens also highlighted the success of a democractic system of government, (idk if that's relevant tho).

I think the question was 'How significant were the key developments of democracy in the Greek World 500-440 BCE'

Cute-Duckie

Arbitrarily Active Member
HSC

The essay questions were a bit shit tbh, but still doable.
i did a and literally ALL my quotes were herodotus, i think im a bit screwed

Cute-Duckie

HSC
how did u guys use source e in pompeii and herculaneum?

bc it was all about what public buildings hadnt revealed yet bc we hadnt uncovered them 😭

radagastthebrown

HSC
yeah that sounds about right, and then the other one was smth like "how successful were the battles of thermopylae and artemisium for greek victory"
A) was 'To what extent were the Battles of Thermopylae and Artemisum successful in the Persian Wars 480-79BC'
I would've probably been more likely to choose a) if it was 'successful for greek victory', because then I could've spoke about Salamis (which I knew a lot more on) too (saying yes themopylae, yes artemisum, but salamis was also...) but it was weird because it didn't say 'successful for greek victory' it said just 'successful' instead.
I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

radagastthebrown

HSC
how did u guys use source e in pompeii and herculaneum?

bc it was all about what public buildings hadnt revealed yet bc we hadnt uncovered them 😭
I honestly ran out of time to be able to mention Source E properly, I definitely struggled with that source though. Still don't know 100% what it was saying.

nitroexcalibur

HSC
My only gripes with the exam was the last question on the Julio Claudians. I chose option B as opposed to option a cause I didn’t remember much of Augustus’ death and its impacts. But overall I wrote the least for that compared to my other sections

Cute-Duckie

HSC
A) was 'To what extent were the Battles of Thermopylae and Artemisum successful in the Persian Wars 480-79BC'
I would've probably been more likely to choose a) if it was 'successful for greek victory', because then I could've spoke about Salamis (which I knew a lot more on) too (saying yes themopylae, yes artemisum, but salamis was also...) but it was weird because it didn't say 'successful for greek victory' it said just 'successful' instead.
I think, correct me if I'm wrong.
yeah you're def right, that makes sense

ngl i still talked about salamis but i was more like "they weren't successful in the short term, but in the long term they helped them win the war"

i still think it cooked me tho

radagastthebrown

HSC
Ran out of time? Did you do p+h last or did you plan each question for time
I did it all back to front. Figured if I was really running out of time it's easier to dot point short answer rather than dot point extended response questions. I got like half of the final P+H question before time run out. Got everything else done though (unlike trials where I 2 12 markers blank cos I ran out of time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)