• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mod 5 Chem (1 Viewer)

C_master

OG member
HSC
My teacher said that 'entropy of mixing' doesn't really pop up as it doesn't really get tested in the hsc. Is this actually true/worthwhile to know?

herbimycin

HSC
my (very limited) understanding is that the main things you need to know about entropy is just how the relationship between change and entropy and change in enthalpy affects spontaneity of reactions (Gibbs free energy). I don't think the course really goes too deep into entropy (i don't think we have to be able to calculate it???) so its probably not a big worry.

Entropy of mixing specifically will always be positive (more disorderly). If you picture two different gasses, contained separately which are then mixed, they move from being fairly ordered (separated and contained) to be less ordered (molecules of different gasses 'sprinkled' around and not in any particular arrangement). I don't believe you would really need to know any more than that, and i also doubt that they would ask much about entropy aside from giving you a reaction and asking something related to gibbs free energy and spontaneity.

HSC
nah just gibbs free sub, sometimes u do a whole classic molar heat of combustion q which ends up being ur enthalpy and then theyll say the reaction can be at equilibrium at a certain temperature then u solve for entropy

herbimycin

HSC
nah just gibbs free sub, sometimes u do a whole classic molar heat of combustion q which ends up being ur enthalpy and then theyll say the reaction can be at equilibrium at a certain temperature then u solve for entropy
Ah right makes sense, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)