• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2024 HSC Chat (57 Viewers)

mysterymarkmachine

HSC
once again, that’s not how that works. you just skip to the next data point. the same idea goes for a stem and leaf plot, just because theres values in the 10s place and values in the 30s place and no values in the 20s place doesn’t mean the median is 0. i don’t think you understand how this graph works.
Yes...you skip to the next data point. then there are 7 values to the right and 8 to the left of the median. that means that the data is no longer symmetrical. that means that it cannot be matched with a symmetrical box plot. that means I don't think you understand how this graph works

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
Yes...you skip to the next data point. then there are 7 values to the right and 8 to the left of the median. that means that the data is no longer symmetrical. that means that it cannot be matched with a symmetrical box plot. that means I don't think you understand how this graph works
no? i will represent the median with a line: 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 | 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7. you see how there are 8 values on either side?

mysterymarkmachine

HSC
this is stuff you learn in year 7 or something i’m not even trying to be rude
hahah these little jabs are just gonna make you feel like more stupid when you realise why it's C. HISTOGRAM = frequency of something. you've just assumed that the x axis is numbers when it may not be. it could be absolutely anything. e.g. if your "4" actually represents "amount of people in denial about question 15", then how can it be the median if no one is? (theoretical though because clearly someone is). on a histogram you can't make something that literally does not exist the median

radagastthebrown

HSC
hahah these little jabs are just gonna make you feel like more stupid when you realise why it's C. HISTOGRAM = frequency of something. you've just assumed that the x axis is numbers when it may not be. it could be absolutely anything. e.g. if your "4" actually represents "amount of people in denial about question 15", then how can it be the median if no one is? (theoretical though because clearly someone is). on a histogram you can't make something that literally does not exist the median
I hope it is C because I guessed C
:)

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
yes, i know that it represents frequency. regardless, the result is the same. D is different than the other options. plus, the advanced solutions also agreed that D was the answer - tbh i trust that. you cant have a median of 0 if there are data values before and after it that are above 0. its the exact same thing with a stem and leaf plot like i said. im sorry. that’s just not how medians work. if you give me another reason that is plausible i might change my mind.

sainzsgf

HSC
i cant wait to see what nesa puts as the answer to this question and we can finally settle this debate (praying to god its c 😍)

• Love
Reactions: bcv

Legendary16

HSC
no? i will represent the median with a line: 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 | 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7. you see how there are 8 values on either side?
As much as it hurts for me to say, you should ignore those who say its c because they seem to be trolling and forget how median works...I forgot why I selected c but I agree the answer's d now

katiekms

/bænd/
HSC
As much as it hurts for me to say, you should ignore those who say its c because they seem to be trolling and forget how median works...I forgot why I selected c but I agree the answer's d now
true…. it definitely seems like trolling but it hurt me to see misinformation, especially after so many sources agreed with D… but you’re right, i’ll ignore it.

mysterymarkmachine

HSC
yes, i know that it represents frequency. regardless, the result is the same. D is different than the other options. plus, the advanced solutions also agreed that D was the answer - tbh i trust that. you cant have a median of 0 if there are data values before and after it that are above 0. its the exact same thing with a stem and leaf plot like i said. im sorry. that’s just not how medians work. if you give me another reason that is plausible i might change my mind.
Yes correct you can't have a median of 0. Nobody is saying the median is 0. by your working, the frequency of the median is 0. You can't make up some fantasy numbers on the x axis when each bar could mean anything. Have you ever answered those histogram questions where it asks "how many complaints because of bad service" etc.?. the reason you have got it wrong is because you've assigned it a numerical value.

if the only reason you chose D was because it looked different from all the options then I have gained a lot of confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 57)