• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I do a UNILEARN chem bridging course. (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
Hey guys im in the first term of yr 12 and am considering pursuing medicine, (Im not totally sure) but don't do chem for the HSC. I was looking at UNIS, and Melbournes course or MONash's courses look really good but they have a chem prerequisite. I emailed and they said if you do a unilearn bridiging course and get a 75%+ it will fiulfill this requirement (for Melbourne anyway).

Do you guys recommend me doing it, and just chipping away at it occasionally in my free time? Its a long course which is what im concerned about. Its basically HSC chem in detail- not really a small 3 week bridging course like the other UNIS as it actually fulfils a prerequisite rather than assumed knowledge.

I also do hard subjects as-well though so don't want it to effect my study.

Aiming for a 97 ATAR

(I also feel i might just find it fun as I have an interest for chem)

ChunkityChanka

HSC
As a non rural NSW student, melb med would require you to have a 99.9+ atar and monash med would require you to have an 99.8+ with a 98th percentile ucat to even get an interview. It would be unlikely for you to make medicine with ur atar aim of 97 unless you have EAS adjustment factors. If you want to do the course for fun go ahead but maybe reconsider if you plan on doing the course purely to fulfil the chem prerequisite for melb and monash med. If you're thinking of med with a 97 atar your options are most likely going to be wsu or newcastle med who have low atar hurdles for admission.

v.tex

HSC
As a non rural NSW student, melb med would require you to have a 99.9+ atar and monash med would require you to have an 99.8+ with a 98th percentile ucat to even get an interview. It would be unlikely for you to make medicine with ur atar aim of 97 unless you have EAS adjustment factors. If you want to do the course for fun go ahead but maybe reconsider if you plan on doing the course purely to fulfil the chem prerequisite for melb and monash med. If you're thinking of med with a 97 atar your options are most likely going to be wsu or newcastle med who have low atar hurdles for admission.
Nah. I know im not gonna get direct entry so im planning to get into a bachelor of biomedicine then do graduate medicine. Biomedicine at melbourne requires chem.
So i guess then i would sit the GAMSAT and study my ass off to get a high GPA in uni if that’s how it works? I’m not completely sure on the specifics and details but i believe this is an obtainable pathway?

ChunkityChanka

HSC
yeah thats a path you can take but why write off undergrad entry to wsu or newcastle that you can potentially make. postgrad med is a great pathway but its also very difficult to make which poses a risk that if you don't make it, a biomed degree has quite shit career prospects which is why most people recommend an undergrad degree that has decent career options as a backup if they fail to make med.

v.tex

HSC
yeah thats a path you can take but why write off undergrad entry to wsu or newcastle that you can potentially make. postgrad med is a great pathway but its also very difficult to make which poses a risk that if you don't make it, a biomed degree has quite shit career prospects which is why most people recommend an undergrad degree that has decent career options as a backup if they fail to make med.
Yeah ok. So WSU and Newcastle are good options then as they have lower requirements for direct entry. Thanks for the advice!

Btw do u still recommend doing that bridging course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)