• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

should i drop to standard english (2 Viewers)

lacedmalice

HSC
im really struggling to decide if i wanna drop to standard english. i just started yr12 content for advanced and i CANNOT see myself getting even a band 4 cuz i got 48% rank 33/43 for my prelim. i never liked english and honestly would never even think about doing it if it wasn’t compulsory. i only picked advanced cuz it scales well but at this point im like, will me getting a fail in advanced scale better than me possibly doing better and ranking higher in standard since the texts are simpler? my biggest issue is adapting my essay to the question and thinking about what im gonna write and just writing on the spot in general. cuz i did decent on my multimodal (80%) but that was cuz i spent weeks and weeks on it. when it comes to writing on the spot i just cant. i know paper 1 is basically the same for both advanced and standard but like the texts are different and less complex. im a bit worried about scaling as well but i do 4u math so maybe that will carry my atar? help

Last edited:

lacedmalice

HSC
You will definitely get a band 4 if you get 50 raw mark. Don't listen to waht your teachers say, they are liars and just have an inflated ego.
but i dont want a band 4 im aiming for a high band 5 - band 6 for all my subjects nd idek if i can do that if i stay in advanced

15 Budapest St Rooty Hill, New South Wales
HSC
but i dont want a band 4 im aiming for a high band 5 - band 6 for all my subjects nd idek if i can do that if i stay in advanced
Just look at the band distribution of Standard, you most likely wont get a band 5 or 6 in this subject compared to Advanced. Also marking is completely the same, they just align differently, and English Standard happens align to extremely low bands, thus a lower hsc score and consequently a lower atar. The texts aren't easier, they are just different. You still have to read a long book. This shit subject is so trash regardless. Just stay in advanced.

Advanced: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BD4702627.PDF

Standard: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BD4702631.PDF

Source: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2023_12.html

Last edited:

e8zks

HSC
im really struggling to decide if i wanna drop to standard english. i just started yr12 content for advanced and i CANNOT see myself getting even a band 4 cuz i got 48% rank 33/43 for my prelim. i never liked english and honestly would never even think about doing it if it wasn’t compulsory. i only picked advanced cuz it scales well but at this point im like, will me getting a fail in advanced scale better than me possibly doing better and ranking higher in standard since the texts are simpler? my biggest issue is adapting my essay to the question and thinking about what im gonna write and just writing on the spot in general. cuz i did decent on my multimodal (80%) but that was cuz i spent weeks and weeks on it. when it comes to writing on the spot i just cant. i know paper 1 is basically the same for both advanced and standard but like the texts are different and less complex. im a bit worried about scaling as well but i do 4u math so maybe that will carry my atar? help
dm me privately, I can help cause I was in you shoes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)