• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths Is this necessary to know (1 Viewer)

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
hii
if im doing 4u do i really need to know the discrete probability topic from 2u all that E(x) x=X variance etc? its so painful and annoying (even tho we do 4u we still have to do 2u in case we end up dropping)

does probability even pop up in the 3u 4u hsc exams? I dont see it getting examined esp the e(x) x=X etc thing or I may be mistaken

C2H6O

HSC
hii
if im doing 4u do i really need to know the discrete probability topic from 2u all that E(x) x=X variance etc? its so painful and annoying (even tho we do 4u we still have to do 2u in case we end up dropping)

does probability even pop up in the 3u 4u hsc exams? I dont see it getting examined esp the e(x) x=X etc thing or I may be mistaken
I slacked in my 2u classes once we started that stat stuff cause i just can't with stats that stuff puts me to sleep (I'm not encouraging slacking off), but no for 4u I can say 99% certainty its not gonna come up unless you're at Ruse or something where exam questions are a nasty blend of every topic in existence, even then you might only see 1 or 2 questions in your time.

3u on the other hand... the last topic is binomial distribution, which is very similar to the random variable stuff. It is in my opinion easier than the 2u stuff, but it definitely helps a lot to understand the basics of random variables, normal distribution, z scores, etc. The formulas for E(x) and Var(x) are much easier in 3u, and you definitely won't need to know how to use the stat function on your calculator.

I'll be honest I've been scrambling to understand the topic this weekend cause the exam's tmr, so my advice is you don't need to know it, but it helps to know the basics. If your teacher is half decent they'll teach everything you need for binomial distribution in 3u anyway (I didn't pay that much attention so that's why I was struggling with it)

Last edited:

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
hii

No

C2H6O

HSC
I slacked in my 2u classes once we started that stat stuff cause i just can't with stats that stuff puts me to sleep (I'm not encouraging slacking off), but no for 4u I can say 99% certainty its not gonna come up unless you're at Ruse or something where exam questions are a nasty blend of every topic in existence, even then you might only see 1 or 2 questions in your time.

3u on the other hand... the last topic is binomial distribution, which is very similar to the random variable stuff. It is in my opinion easier than the 2u stuff, but it definitely helps a lot to understand the basics of random variables, normal distribution, z scores, etc. The formulas for E(x) and Var(x) are much easier in 3u, and you definitely won't need to know how to use the stat function on your calculator.

I'll be honest I've been scrambling to understand the topic this weekend cause the exam's tmr, so my advice is you don't need to know it, but it helps to know the basics. If your teacher is half decent they'll reteach everything you need for binomial distribution in 3u anyway (I didn't pay that much attention so that's why I was struggling with it)
Also just note that the crossover is actually pretty minimal. Stuff like skatter plots, correlation coefficients, box whisker plots, that histogram with a line chart over the top (i don't even know it was named after a guy whose name started with p), are all pretty useless, examiners would have to be evil to put it in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)