Class of 2025 (2025 HSC CHAT) (3 Viewers)

sakinluvo

HSC
English Advanced and Standard have the same exam requirements (Paper 1 is almost identical and Paper 2 has the same structure but different texts).
If you drop down to Standard, it will be easier but only by a trivial amount. Less than 1% of the state who take Standard manage to get into the top band 6 compared to English Advanced (which normally reaches the double digits) which may work against you considering the competition for a spot at architecture school. Also, know that your final exam mark is not your raw mark, it is adjusted in terms of performance descriptors (i.e -> they mark leniently and categorise responses into different levels of sophistication/knowledge).

This is all a bit complicated but what I am trying to say is that if you are a C-average student in English Advanced, you will probably get C's in Standard, since the requirements are more or less the same (minus the higher-order concepts of Shakespeare or Jane Austin e.c.t). You should speak to your teacher and head of department before you move down. I will say that there have been miracles (per se) in English Advanced - last year a student who got a raw mark of 67/100 (Band 3) got adjusted to an 80/100 (Band 5) since the markers understand that the underlying concepts are harder to grasp they tend to be extremely lenient during marking(check out https://rawmarks.info/english/english-advanced/).

If you are generally struggling in English Advanced, Standard is a good choice, but just note that if you trust the process and stick with Advanced (assuming you try and put in effort) You may see your C's get inflated to a high B mark by the end of year 12.
Do take my advice with a grain of salt though.
Also, SparkNotes is a lifesaver, especially for Shakespearean texts (summarises the key quotes/thems + puts the text into a more modern friendly tone).

Your teachers are more than likely willing to give you extra support since they like having students.
Anyway, you do you - it's your life after all :).
Hope this helps.
Thank u sm <33

melanie_o

HSC
I need advice.
I'm doing ext 1 maths atm and we're finishing up the perms + combs unit and I'm starting to get stressed about the topic test in two weeks.
The basic ideas are fine, but the proofs (especially pascal identities) and the 'find the constant/coefficient are making me feel really stupid.
Should I keep the course and are the other topics easier to grasp (I legitimately think I might fail the assessment 😭 )?

carrotsss

HSC
I need advice.
I'm doing ext 1 maths atm and we're finishing up the perms + combs unit and I'm starting to get stressed about the topic test in two weeks.
The basic ideas are fine, but the proofs (especially pascal identities) and the 'find the constant/coefficient are making me feel really stupid.
Should I keep the course and are the other topics easier to grasp (I legitimately think I might fail the assessment 😭 )?
stick with it until at least prelims and see how you go, most people find perms and combs pretty hard so I wouldn’t worry too much about it just keep practicing. keep in mind with ext 1 that it’s supposed to be a harder subject and scaling offsets this, you might get lower percentage results than other subjects and that’s ok

melanie_o

HSC
Does anyone have a Maths 2u prelim (Assessment 1) Past Paper, specifically with algebra and functions + a harder test?

aqwerty13402

HSC
Does anyone have a Maths 2u prelim (Assessment 1) Past Paper, specifically with algebra and functions + a harder test?
No, but check the acehsc website. You can specific maths advanced, and then click exam paper and hopefully u will find some stuff for functions. Goodluck with ur test you got this :redface:

Realstudytips

HSC
bro these days everyone is talking about doing past papers and practice papers to get ahead but nobody ever mentions where to find them ☠ other than THSC or Acehsc like everyone knows about those websites or am I missing something 😭

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
bro these days everyone is talking about doing past papers and practice papers to get ahead but nobody ever mentions where to find them ☠ other than THSC or Acehsc like everyone knows about those websites or am I missing something 😭
maths in focus thats where its at πŸ€™πŸ€™

carrotsss

HSC
there are a lot more trial papers out there than prelim papers, esp for subjects like chem phys and maths ext. for prelim most of the papers are copyrighted so they can’t be posted publicly, but a lot of the time your school will have tons of them so you can probably get them from your teachers

melanie_o

HSC
No, but check the acehsc website. You can specific maths advanced, and then click exam paper and hopefully u will find some stuff for functions. Goodluck with ur test you got this :redface:

I've looked but most of the papers for the AT1 are old syllabus with geometry and other topics that are no longer assessable.
But thank you for directing me to the site though. It seems like a good resource.
:)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I've looked but most of the papers for the AT1 are old syllabus with geometry and other topics that are no longer assessable.
But thank you for directing me to the site though. It seems like a good resource.
:)
dm me rq i got u dude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)