0.9999999999.... = 1 ????? (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
I personally think it does equal to one.

What do you think?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Of course it equals one

0.9999... is the same thing as:

(I am pretty sure)

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

In the bracket we arrive at an infinite converging geometric series.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes this is correct and can be mathematically proven

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
you guys are so arrogant. stop pushing your believes onto other people. everyones opinion is equally valid. calculus is only aproximations anyway, iBibah you should make up you're own mind. personally i believe it depends on you're frame of reference which is what einstein said when he debunked newtons theories

theind1996

HSC
N/A
you guys are so arrogant. stop pushing your believes onto other people. everyones opinion is equally valid. calculus is only aproximations anyway, iBibah you should make up you're own mind. personally i believe it depends on you're frame of reference which is what einstein said when he debunked newtons theories
English Extension 2...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

arrogant

HSC
x = .99999...
10x = 9.99999...
10x-x = 9
9x = 9
therefore
x = .9999999...

iBibah

HSC
I did make up my mind, but was interested in others' opinions/reasoning, I am in no way pushing my beliefs on anyone. It's nothing more than a discussion.

Relax.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if this is a serious post, or not. For this topic, there are no 'beliefs'. It is either correct or incorrect.

In this case, the claim that 0.999... = 1 is correct and many proofs can be provided.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
youre lucky rep doesnt exist

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lol wtf

Most people who reject this fact generally do not grasp the concept of a limit or infinity.

Most people can accept that 0.3333... = 1/3 with an INFINITE number of decimal places.

But 0.3333333... =/= 1/3 with a FINITE number of decimal places.

Likewise 0.99999... = 1 only if the number of decimal places is infinite. If the number of decimal places is finite then the equality is not true. Many people who don't accept this fact often picture the decimal with only a finite number of decimal places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999

Dash8

HSC
Hmmm I don't get it.... So does this mean that 0.99999... Is exactly the same as 1? I can see how it approaches 1 as it nears infinity, but it never really reaches 1. The different just gets smaller. If 0.9999... equals 1, does that mean that an asymptote to the x or y axis will touch it at infinity?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Hmmm I don't get it.... So does this mean that 0.99999... Is exactly the same as 1? I can see how it approaches 1 as it nears infinity, but it never really reaches 1. The different just gets smaller. If 0.9999... equals 1, does that mean that an asymptote to the x or y axis will touch it at infinity?
You're thinking about it wrong.

The difference doesn't 'get smaller' - there just is no difference. 0.999.. and 1 are the same numbers, just different representations of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)