05' Performance: Monologue Assistance Service...hahaha (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Hey Everyone, in particular 05ers.

This is just a little post for those people who are currently undertaking their most difficult task of the performance option for your IP. Finding a monologue!Books that hold monologues such as "The Actor's Book of Contemporary Stage Monologues" can cost over $30 a pop and only holds just under 100 monologues. Luckily, during my search last year I've collated a whopping 15 monologue books with around 400 directly taken from plays, 200 freely adapted and about 30 specifically written for auditions.

So I thought, heck, Let's share!

Due to copywright and what not, I really cannot publish any of these on the web, so this is my alternative.

If you are looking for a monologue that has a certain character or deals with a certain issue...or just want something different (that I like!) feel free to PM me or Email me (address is in my profile) with some details.
Such as:
Sex of Character(s), Approx age of character, What you want the monologue to deal with (insane, mother, a feminist, war veteran...etc).

The more you can tell me of what you want, the harder it will be for me to search so don't go on a fifty line spiel.

So the service is there, and will remain until August next year. Feel free to use it.

Cheerio,
Katie :p

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Thanks very much skillo! You're easily becoming one of my favourite people here! I'd rep you, but I don't think noob rep amounts to diddly squat.

Expect a PM from me soon :D

timtam

Your great skillo

i know this sounds dumb but, what does pm mean, im a new member and only starting to work this thing out! i want to start thinking of ideas for my ip. can you help plz, im open for ideas!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
freaked! said:
as a veteran what do you think about writting your own performance peice, no go zone, stupid or passable as an idea. directed at the ever helpful skillo
Okay, I know I'm not Skillo, :p, but I will empart some wisdom if it is requested :p

Writing your own is a really good idea, but only if you can think of a great idea/character/issue/theme you want to use/explore. The two best monologues out of my class last year, one was written by the performer based on a commedia del arte character and the other was from a monlogue book, with a few alterations. If your confident in your piece, go for it!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Okay, I know I'm not Skillo, :p, but I will empart some wisdom if it is requested :p

Writing your own is a really good idea, but only if you can think of a great idea/character/issue/theme you want to use/explore. The two best monologues out of my class last year, one was written by the performer based on a commedia del arte character and the other was from a monlogue book, with a few alterations. If your confident in your piece, go for it!
No you're not Skillo! Hehehehe :p. I love you billy... :)

Hey guys, this is my first chance online in yonks...in the middle of a production at the mo so everything is a bit hetic...will get better after Monday.

Freaked: I support Sparky in his views. A self-written monologue must have a solid foundation...ie. an issue, theme...A few people in my class wrote their own and the girl from my school who topped drama last year (she ended up getting 92) wrote hers. But the ones that are successful come from people who are good at english (i.e. Ext 1 and Ext 2 students...not saying that necessarily means you're a good english student!!). The better the creative writer you are the more easily you can create a piece.
Another really important part of writing your own monologue is making sure that you let other people (teachers, parents, peers) READ IT and you are totally flexible to their suggestions or ideas. Respect and revere the help you get from others.
Sparky mentioned that one of his peers adapted their monologue. I did the same and have never done a monologue (not just at school but also mono competitions in eisteddfods) without adapting it first. As long as you identify and keep the main jist/theme of the monologue, you can give as much tweaking as you like. I prefer working this way, but thats just me. My IP ended up having 21 drafts (all of which were documented in my LOG!) and it was adapted...

Hope you get the jist.

Tamara: Just sent you an email. PM means Private Message (Messenging). Click on the username of the person you want to PM and it will come up as "Send Skillo a Private Message...(I think!).

Crowie

HSC
N/A
i think writing ur own monologue is prettty cut throat i fink if u find a script that u like n then base it round that as an influence lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)