• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

08er...i will finish high school this year and... (1 Viewer)

cxlxoxk

HSC
I don't know what I want to do with the next few years -> the rest of my life...

Uni?

Start working?

No Clue...:cold:

Anyone been in the same situation?

and/or

Can anyone give me advice?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
If you dont know what to do, try and work out where you would like to be in 5-10 years.

Your two choices are basically

1. Go to uni

2. start working

Going to uni is easy, you dont even have to pick a particular career path just yet, do a bachelor of science or arts and pick subjects in a bit of everything. When you find something you like, major in it and when you finish your degree, get a job doing it.

2. starting work is also pretty easy. Pick a job that pays alot and you wouldnt mind doing for the next,say 10 years and there ya go. A trade is a good way to make lots of money without going to uni, consider an apprenticeship in something you enjoy[e.g if you dont mind cooking food, become a chef]

If neither of those two works out, cosider joining the defense force. They provide some great jobs with great experiences and decent pay. Good training, and you will be a different person when you leave.

Above all else, dont just decide to fuck around and do nothing for a bit after school. If you are going to work, drop your shitty after school job at Coles or whatever and get into contact with some people. IF you just fuck around and party, go out drinking and so on, you will realize money quickly becomes an issue and you aren't even working towards any goals. Before you know it all your friends are finishing their degrees and landing awesome jobs, and your other friends are making deposits on houses because they have been raking in the cash for a bit now.

If you want to go to uni, you should probably be deciding that in the next few months and working towards it.

cxlxoxk

HSC
defense forces is not an option, i do not believe in fighting or war, conscription was banned, and even if it were reintroduced for whatever reason, i'd be a conscientious objector :D.

so i guess i'll see how my marks go, if i get 90+ uai (which i probs won't) i'll go to uni

if i get crap uai i'll just work.

i can't imagine getting a home loan and paying it back for the majority of the rest of my life, its scary. i fear life after high school :S.

what is a job that pays well that doesn't require uni degree...

Last edited:

ccc123

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Do whatever the fuck you want to do.
I suggest lab rat.

/thread.
lolz. That's your answer to everything.

cxlxoxk: If you are unsure of what you want to do, the best course of action is doing a broad degree in uni, and then taking it from there.

cxlxoxk

HSC
what is a broad degree? show me example of courses, at unis in sydney.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
cxlxoxk said:
I don't know what I want to do with the next few years -> the rest of my life...
Everyone is scared of responsibility. You just have to deal with it.

Guide to life: Find what you enjoy, Work hard in anything you do, Try to be a good person.

Serius post is also A+

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
bahahaaa poor kid.
im doing tafe i finished last yr
and it sucks coz ii didnt know what to do so mehhhh
whatever floats ur boat

lala2

Banned
HSC
As Serius said. Probably your best chance now is to study hard, get a good UAI, go to uni and do a broad course like ccc123 said: Arts, Science or Commerce. Or take a gap year and work. Just don't do nothing after you've finished Year 12.

Rebz101

HSC
Well what im going to do is work the next year earning $$$ and maybe do so short tafe courses and then the next year im moving out and going to tafe full-time and working on weekends or something. :D

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Serius said:
Above all else, dont just decide to fuck around and do nothing for a bit after school. If you are going to work, drop your shitty after school job at Coles or whatever and get into contact with some people.
I dont see what's wrong with fuckin around for a bit after school. I mean, you've just finished school.. It'd be time to party and get smashed...

BackCountrySnow

HSC
theshortykatt said:
this generally leads to no job which generally leads to the doll which generally leads to everyone else paying shit for you.

get a job.
no way. only if you continue the lifestyle til youre 30...

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
this generally leads to no job which generally leads to the doll which generally leads to everyone else paying shit for you.

get a job.
ummmm gap year? ---> uni/ work

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
yer, but most work/travel (work during travel?) during a gap year.. its doing something.
]

and others bum around as they feel they need a break then go back to uni. they don't necessarily go on the dole. nor can they get goverment allowence without studying so i don't see the harm.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
are you going to "bum around" next year?

edit: unless rich, where does the funds come from to bum around? parents?
social life = money
food = money
lifestyle necessities = money
yes i would say most likely from parents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)