• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

*1/2 Yearly Questions!!!* (1 Viewer)

OS

Banned
HSC
So, I know some ppl have done their half-yearlys in English and others haven't. If you've had your exam, what question did you get on Journey (physical)???? Apparently if we study an essay pre-prepared on the representation of journey in set, stimulus booklet and related texts we can twist it to suit any question. Sounds a bit too easy to me! So how'd you go????????

Sar_28

HSC
1/2 yearlys

the first question is always unseen texts and its pretty easy to bludge your way through that.i had my exam today and the second question was write a speech about your journey while promoting your own book.just have a pre prepared story written, physical, imaginary or inner or a combination of all. if your doing standard the question for section 3 means the same thing no matter how you put it into words "how do physical journeys change people on the inside" all you have to do is talk about how a physical journey can lead to an inner.for advanced im not sure coz i think they do inner.hope this helped. oh by the way its easier to start from the back and make you way to the beginning of the exam, that was you have pleanty of time to do your area of study. good luck!

*ashlea*

HSC
our question was really hard cos it was a feature article u had 2 write and they gave u the start-so u really couldnt use something pre-prepared, i think most ppl found that their feature article turned out 2 be somewhat of a narritive, rather than a feature article.. myself included..
the paragraph they gave u as the start said that (insert name) had discovered that the journey they took and the ppl they met had affected their life greatly, and looking back they could see how choices they had made were still reverberating in their life today.. there was also something about the journey contributing to "the map of their life".. it was a weird question..

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
my half yearly is tomorrow and im so scared!! my teacher told me to make up a creative response-type thing before hand and i have NO idea, nothing here is useful to me either, all the stories i have found are inner journeys, and i am doing phyisical journeys.

brassedoff

HSC
forgot to integrate, have a contention, and my intro/conclusions were pretty weak. I seem to be going backwards from last year... hate speeches for section 3
As for creative,
my advice:
they might not necessarily ask you to write a physical journey. And they could ask you about the beginning, middle or end of the journey. So, if you think of a difficult situation that might arise out of a physical journey, you can use it as a middle or end bit (either they overcome the obstacle and learn stuff or it ends the journey, but they overcome emotional barriers which prevented them from learning, and then learn... etc.) You could also then twist it into the beginning of an inner journey, which shows that you know physical journeys can initiate inner journeys. In that case you could have a serious accident which begins an inner, reflective journey.
That's what i did, but i haven't got marks back yet

And if its a feature article, then you can set it out as a journalist relating the story and implications. As long as you have quotes from intelligible sources and tear-outs and a "catchy heading" (go alliteration!) etc, it should be fine

Last edited:

Pointy Ears

HSC
My half yrly questions were just last years HSC AOS Journey questions.

Jaydels

HSC
ours was something along the lines of "You don't just receive wisdom, you must discover it for yourself"

i'm sure there was more, but my memory is awful

Chan1727

HSC
The journey, not the arrival, matters

that was the quote we had to comment on for half yearly, and you had to include 3 texts, set text one from stimulus and your own text. was kinda wierd, then a creative writing piece on either physical, imaginative, or inner. and some unseen short answer questions. thats it. was kinda boring

OS

Banned
HSC
Welllllll... I had my exam today. First question - creative writing task on Journey - 3 options. I chose write mine on the option based on the sentence ''The road stretched endlessly before them''. Second question - essay on Journey, along the lines of ''Discuss the motives behind different journeys and how they affect you as the responder''. Third question - essay on Image (Strictly Ballroom and related text - I had none - they didn't say we had to!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The question was a past HSC one along the lines of ''How do the composers of your texts use image to present different experiences?''. I really screwed that last one. How were your half-yearlys in Eng. ??? Questions??? Did any schools give the same??? Give me some feedback ppls!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)