• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

10? 11? or 12 units for year 12? (1 Viewer)

Sofstar

HSC
I'm still deciding whether to do 11 or 12 units.
I do biology and our teacher i gotta say doesn't do a good job at teaching us but we get syllabus points covered. I need bio for uni (ideal at least) and no-one who is doin biology in our grade at the moment is getting above 80%......i'm not sure if it would be worth it.
I like it but not enjoying it.

501n2u

HSC
Currently I'm doing 14u, and for yr12 I'll be doing 11u at the beginning of the year. But if I find that I can't cope with doing Ext2 Mathematics, then I'll be doing 10u. Not sure if that's a good idea since I won't have a "back-up" subject.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
501n2u said:
Currently I'm doing 14u, and for yr12 I'll be doing 11u at the beginning of the year. But if I find that I can't cope with doing Ext2 Mathematics, then I'll be doing 10u. Not sure if that's a good idea since I won't have a "back-up" subject.
If you think that you can kill the remaining 10 units if you drop extension 2 maths, then it wouldn't really matter that you don't have a back-up subject.

501n2u

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
If you think that you can kill the remaining 10 units if you drop extension 2 maths, then it wouldn't really matter that you don't have a back-up subject.
That's true, but I don't think I'll be aceing the remaining 10u ><. I'll get decent marks but probably kind of risky? Then again, if I do 13u that would be too much to handle for yr12.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
501n2u said:
That's true, but I don't think I'll be aceing the remaining 10u ><. I'll get decent marks but probably kind of risky? Then again, if I do 13u that would be too much to handle for yr12.
Well it is kind of risky by having only 10 units if you aren't confident that you could do well in all of them. Do remember that even though extension 2 maths is only 1 unit worth of work in the HSC, it will count for 2 units of your UAI if you do well in it, and also extension 1 maths will then count for 2 units of your UAI, again if you do well in it, so there's something for you to consider.

karnoganguli

HSC
Basically everyone has said what i'm about to say but i'll say it anyway:

I reckon 12 is the best... i'm going to do 13 because i don't think i'll get a good mark in 3 unit english. 13 is like 12 units assuming you have 2 extension subjects in those 12 units. My advice: be safe and do 12 or more. 11 is pushing it. However, 10 lightens the load.

dandel26

HSC
13???????? Your MAD (no offense)
i did 13 in yr 11 and nearly went mad. Droped to 10 in year 12 and am sooooooo much better off. Less assessment tasks means more time to focus on the other subjects. As a result i've been getting heaps better marks in all my other subjects. Also whats the point of doing a subject that u know wont count towards your UAI, just stupid in my opinion

dandel26

HSC
Also dont count 1 unit extension subjects to mean half the work, in my case i do more work in my extension subjects then in my 2U subjects

karnoganguli

HSC
Chuckles to myself... i do 14 units at the moment and i don't think i'll do english extension and so i'm dropping it. In year 12 i'll do the remaining 13 units. Should've made myself clearer.

D

dzzlng_07

heyy.. i'm in the same position as you. i dont know whether to do 12units or drop to 10units. im basically doing pretty okay in everything, but i think 12units is too much to handle..

but like they say, 10 units is very very risky.. and if you're a procrastinator (sp?) then you should stick to over 10 because the extra units keeps you busy:)

agassner

HSC
okay here is a question related to units.... how many units actually count towards your UAI... example... I did 3 units one year in advance (so when i was in year 11 i did 3 units of my hsc already) and i am now doing 8 units... do 8 units count tward your UAI or is it 10? AND if all up i did 11 units, does that mean 3 units wont count? thank you

anniea89

HSC
They take your 10 best units, including 2 units of english (standard or adv).

agassner

HSC
okay so my best 10 units count...but since english is 2 units and it counts automatically that means my 8 best units? and since i already have done 3 units (for which i received 92 for 2 and 80 for 1) and hypathetically if i dont get better than 80 in my other subjects that means 5 other units will count inc. 2 for english... right? or confusing.....

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Found a table from a thread about units here. From the table, I'd say 11 or 12 units is quite okie but hey, do what you think you can do not what the table tells you to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)