10 units - Too Much of a Risk? (1 Viewer)

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
Is anyone aiming for a UAI in the high 90s with only 10 units?

Do you think it's wise to have some backup units just in case something stuffs up, or do you prefer to put all your time and effort in to the 10 that will definitely count?

I am doing 12 units now, but considering dropping Legal Studies so I am left with 10. It's probably stupid because I will be doing 4u English, 4u Maths and Ancient History.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well if you read through the HSC marks thread, you will see that some people that only had 10 units have been let down considerably by a uni while others have gotten away with it. It really does depend on the student.

I would suggest keeping all 12 units unless you are really struggling as eventually you will learn your weakest subject and you will know what will and won’t count and how to manage your time.

What I don't buy into is when people say 'I am dropping to 10 units for more frees\study period' complete bull. Most people don't effectively use their study periods unless it is a major assessment\exam period so that justification just doesn't stick. You learn how to concentrate your time on all your subjects no matter how many you have - it's all up to you the student.

Affinity

HSC
depends..

for many of people, they know which 10 units will count, so 10 and 12 doesn't make a difference. but again there are reasons to do 12

nitnit

HSC
You would have to be very confident in all ten units if you want a UAI of 90+.

I'm doing 11units- with Maths Extension 1 so if i DO flunk in on of them, I have a back track.. but then again, I also need to manage my time so I can concentrate on all the subjects.

Good luck with your decision, but personally, you should keep Legal Studies but only drop it with it is wasting your time and not achieving the marks you want!

Have a merry christmas! :santa:

kony

HSC
don't you need at least 4 subjects?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Use common sense. If there is a chance the spare unit can be one of the higher mks then keep it. If not, drop it. Simple.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Hmm but wont they have 4 subjects if they only drop legal, actually you guys are probably right depending how they count the ext subjects, I wasn't paying that much attension and tired from this morning. Anyway talk to your careers adviser for full confirmation of your options.

flyingdown

Ave Satanas!
HSC
^ I talked to my the head teachers in both English and maths. English extensions count as seperate subjects.

Although I am keeping Legal anyway, at least until I get assessment results back.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2005.pdf

Page 52, this was for last year's hsc.

At the top end of the uai spectrum, most people did 12 units. From the trend though, 13 and 14 units seem to be a killer so at the moment i think you're very fine.

Also you def can't drop any units anyway english extensions don't count as separate subjects.

G

gaoOO

flyingdown said:
^ I talked to my the head teachers in both English and maths. English extensions count as seperate subjects.
definitely not, or i wouldn't be taking 12 units with 4/4 combination.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah i'm going for 95+ with 10 units:
2 Bio
2 Chem
2 Eng Adv
2 Maths
2 Studies of Religion

Well i'm doing 11 units including maths. ext 1 but that's not going to count at all, to my UAI - it's just there to help me with 2u maths.

I've dedicated myself in the 10 units, because I know that I probably won't stuff up in any of them if I do the work/study proparly - there's no reason why I should stuff up, of course unless I get some sort of virus during exam time :( But personally I think it's much better than 12/13+ units, gets the weight off your chest.

HSC
hello 07'ers, i only did 10 units, and i admit it was a huge gamble to take, but fortunately i won it, i rkn if u are willing to dedicate a lot of time and effort towards your subjects, then u will be fine, regardless of how many units that you are doing. but also remember to still have and enjoy your social life, dont be a hermit.

good luck to you all!!!

sly_skittle

HSC
It depends on how your going in every subject- I only did 10 units and got a UAI of 95+ even though i stuffed up english advanced.
The exam for english this year was pretty hard and when compared with all other subjects the english exam is the most uncertain- a good or bad question (worth 20 marks) can make or break your UAI.
Because your doing 4 units of english your lucky because if you got a bad question you'd have 2 other english units which could count instead. This is the advantage you have. If you dropped legal studies you would loose this advantage.
Just to be on the safe side I would probably keep legal studies. If you were only doing two units of english i would recommend only doing 10 units because no matter what, english(advanced) will count towards your UAI.- but then again if english is your best subject and you go well in all others you could drop legal studies- but only if you know that legal studies will be your weakest subject.

Chocolat

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Umm, you can't do that, as pointed above, you need at least 4 subjects to get the HSC and UAI.
I think that you could go and work for the Board of Studies. Seriously. You know like everything there is to know in regards to HSC!

Now in regards to the question, I think that you should keep the 12 units. Unless, as has been said many times before, you feel overwhelmed and aren't doing well in that 2 Unit subject. I just think it's nice to know that you have these back up units in case you stuff up or something...but if you're confident in doing 10 units...then go for it!
Best of luck :D!

Chocolat

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
The Board probably sends him away to post on this forum.
So, how many bonus UAI points will they be giving you, eh? :p
That's a very probable theory, Gangles! :D He just seems to know TOO much...

Chocolat

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Umm, not really :eek:
LOL. Yeh...you're just naturally overly smart. In certain aspects, I despise people like you...you're so going to pawn me in our HSC next year! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)