10 units with 4 unit maths (1 Viewer)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
hey

just decided to create this thread to see how many people are doing 10 units with 4unit maths and how are they finding it? Are you coping with it fine and how are you actualyl doing in ext 2 maths?

cause i have 12 units atm and im considering dropping to 10 units with 4 unit maths but i dunno if its the right move. in my opinion i'm alright at maths but everyone says i'm pro and i dunno if i should drop to 10 units

any proper advice would be appreciated

cheers

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
I do it, I find it fine. As long as you have enough motivation it should be a breeze. Plus, having only 10 units is motivation in itself, as your vying to do well in all your subjects and you have no back-up (at least I find it motivational). What are you going to drop?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I did it in 2005. I found it great.

You've essentially only got 4 subjects to study:
maths, english, whatever, whatever.

It's really refreshing because maths and English give complementary viewpoints (if you're fed with one, the other is like a nice break).

If you plan on getting 80+ in 4u, go for it.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
i'm considering dropping chemistry cuase i find myself to be absolutely hopeless at it and don't see myself imporiving in any way. i dunno how ill go in 4u cause i heard it gets crazy later on but the free study periods would really be great. so if i drop ill have 4u maths, adv eng, eco and legal. and so far im doing well in all of them.

i really really want to drop chem, i'm just not sure if it'll be the right move. i think i can do okay in 4u maths if i really really studied. i'm not aiming for like 95+ or whatever in 4u. really, i think 70-85 is more than suffice.

so yeaah =/

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
i do 10units and 4unit math and im not an elitelist...=(
but our teacher recommends students doin 4unit math to do 10units, because think about it, if you wana do it well you might as well put heaps of time and effort into it, thers just no point if ur not aiming to put 200% in the subject

leoyh

mic`
HSC
atm im doing really well in comparison to my school (which is a partially selective school with some freaky maths pros), but i know that maths is only gonna get harder, so i really dunno if i should do 10 units with 4u maths

but on the other hand, i pretty much have my head set on dropping chem because seeing the stuff we learn makes me wanna die. i hate chemistry so badly. dunno why i didnt drop it in year 11 and keep ext 1 english >< "

undalay

HSC
If u hate chem
and its ur worst subject.
Then drop it.

Just make sure you use your frees productively

SpinCobra

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed. If you dont like chem, then drop it. Thats what I did. And you can use your frees to work on Ext 2 Maths and other subjects. Helps a lot.

YannY

HSC
Just remember if you do drop it, it might be something you regret make sure you feel absolutely confident with maths when you drop it...

I do regret dropping down to 10units because sometimes i feel the work load is way too much i have to spend 6 hours on 4u maths a week whereas all my other subjects that count as 2units only takes 2-4 hours to stay alive.

Chemistry is easy to catch up, but maths isnt if you didnt learn your year 11 concepts with confidence then you'll need to do maths everyday. where chemistry from prelim only 10% are incorporated in the hsc and its quite easy to catch up.

Remember its not your life its only one year of chemistry - i hate all my subjects but im still doing okay because i know its only one year its not my whole life. But if you dont do well in the subject by rejecting it because you hate it then that will sting you for the rest of your life.

anyways if you're a cool dude who is really stubborn and believes that chemistry is not the thing and that maths 4u is way too cool then by all means do it for the coolness.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
YannY said:
I do regret dropping down to 10units because sometimes i feel the work load is way too much i have to spend 6 hours on 4u maths a week whereas all my other subjects that count as 2units only takes 2-4 hours to stay alive.
Ignoring your weird maths (using your figures you spend as much time per unit on maths as you do your other subjects), how exactly does picking up MORE units lower the workload of 4unit maths?

A piece of advice to 2008'ers: for the 90% of people who get band 3 or higher in 4unit, all your units of maths will count. That's 40% of your UAI right there. That given, picking up an extra subject in the hopes it will account for a poor maths mark is rather illogical; even if you do well in the extra subject, it's unlikely that subject will out-scale maths.

The only reason to keep 12 units would be if you were equally bad in two subject, or just equally good in your worst 2 subjects. Even then, I'd recommend dropping one once it becomes clear which is easier half-way through the year.

Chemistry is easy to catch up, but maths isnt if you didnt learn your year 11 concepts with confidence then you'll need to do maths everyday. where chemistry from prelim only 10% are incorporated in the hsc and its quite easy to catch up.
Subjective. What makes you think chem is easier to catch up than maths? Or in fact is even easier than maths?

It's completely down to the individual. And I doubt he'd be doing 4u maths if he didn't understand most of his year 11 advanced and 3u maths concepts.

Remember its not your life its only one year of chemistry - i hate all my subjects but im still doing okay because i know its only one year its not my whole life. But if you dont do well in the subject by rejecting it because you hate it then that will sting you for the rest of your life.
This is rubbish. There are many things in life you may regret. The HSC is not one of them.

Last edited:

leoyh

mic`
HSC
lol good analysis slidey. the thing is, chemistry i dislike and don't feel any motivation to do it. hence, its hard, hence i fall behind and don't see myself getting anywhere with it.

although i came 1st in the first 3u HSC assessment and 3rd in the 1st 4u HSC assessment (and like top 5-10 for prelim 3u), i'm not sure if its gonna be a good decision to drop to 4u maths as my 10 units because i know it gets crazy later and i dunno if i can handle it

but yeah, i pretty much have my mind set on dropping chemistry. going to go talk to the deputy tomorrow. i'm not interested in chem at all lol. not anymore anyway.

Zephyrio

HSC
I know this guy, he is amazing at maths. No exaggerating.

If you hate chem, just drop it... you've set yourself up to HATE it, so why bother? lolz

Did you come third in 4U? I thought you came first.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
Slidey said:
Ignoring your weird maths (using your figures you spend as much time per unit on maths as you do your other subjects), how exactly does picking up MORE units lower the workload of 4unit maths?

A piece of advice to 2008'ers: for the 90% of people who get band 3 or higher in 4unit, all your units of maths will count. That's 40% of your UAI right there. That given, picking up an extra subject in the hopes it will account for a poor maths mark is rather illogical; even if you do well in the extra subject, it's unlikely that subject will out-scale maths.

The only reason to keep 12 units would be if you were equally bad in two subject, or just equally good in your worst 2 subjects. Even then, I'd recommend dropping one once it becomes clear which is easier half-way through the year.

Subjective. What makes you think chem is easier to catch up than maths? Or in fact is even easier than maths?

It's completely down to the individual. And I doubt he'd be doing 4u maths if he didn't understand most of his year 11 advanced and 3u maths concepts.

This is rubbish. There are many things in life you may regret. The HSC is not one of them.
lol

YannY

HSC
jeez slidey you're way too analytical. Not everyone is as good as you are in maths.

3rd means nothing if you go to epping boys or something - it merely means you tried.

But if you do find maths decent then by all means drop chemistry - chemistry itself wont get harder, its mainly the same.

Ha slidey you do sound very biased. how do you know that no one regrets doing badly in the HSC, i know heaps of people that regret not doing better people that regret not getting the marks - as low as 0.15 uai.

Its up to you - maths doth get harder later i think you should keep it until you're chem mark is far too crap to catch up or until you feel maths is a strong subject.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
leoyh said:
although i came 1st in the first 3u HSC assessment and 3rd in the 1st 4u HSC assessment (and like top 5-10 for prelim 3u), i'm not sure if its gonna be a good decision to drop to 4u maths as my 10 units because i know it gets crazy later and i dunno if i can handle it
Well, don't drop 4u because of some perceived 'difficulty factor'. It would be rather sad if you did, as difficulty is very subjective. It's not like it suddenly gets crazy hard. If you're finding 3u and 4u simple enough so far (e.g. you get above 60% consistently), then I'd strongly advise you to keep it, as the level of difficulty is likely to remain as is, perhaps requiring a bit more study (but trust me you've got plenty of time, especially at the end, before the external exam).

I think I averaged about 50% for my 4unit exams over the year. I was ranked 1st. My teacher just felt like challenging us so we'd be on our toes, though granted my class had a size of 4, and no strong tradition of good 4u results. Your school doesn't matter.

I think I got about 60 to 70% in the external. My combined mark was 92 for 4u.

YannY said:
jeez slidey you're way too analytical. Not everyone is as good as you are in maths.
I was an average 4u student and a great 3u student. It's not terribly difficult for an average 4u student to get a band 6 in 4u. But my level if expertise isn't in question. As I stated before, statistically speaking, the vast majority of students do well enough in 4u for it to count as one of their strongest subjects (we're talking like 70 or 75+ in 4u, which if you'll check I think is like 70 to 80% of all candidates).

3rd means nothing if you go to epping boys or something - it merely means you tried.
Ranks barely matter when it comes to calculating your combined HSC mark. And as far as ranks go, 3rd is fairly good whatever school you go to. And if you go to a good school, 3rd is even better.

Ha slidey you do sound very biased. how do you know that no one regrets doing badly in the HSC, i know heaps of people that regret not doing better people that regret not getting the marks - as low as 0.15 uai.
Because I've been surrounded by uni students for 2 years? So many of them were doing their degree because they didn't get their first preference or bombed their HSC. None of them regret it even half a year later. I think I'm in a better position than you to make such a judgement. It's been all of, what, -1 years since you finished the HSC?

I just think it's rather arrogant when a HSC student gives another student advice like "If you don't do well, you'll regret it." or "If you don't drop this subject, you'll screw up your HSC". Just how much CAN you know? You haven't yet done the HSC, you've never done university, you haven't got a full-time job. How can you seriously think you've got the life experience to claim somebody ELSE will regret the decisions they make in the HSC?

The HSC is not the be-all end-all. There are so many alternative pathways after and before highschool that overlap it's not funny (TAFE, work experience, mature age entry, personal letter to uni, bridging courses, tertiary education prep courses, etc - all will get you into uni). And you know what? The people who enter uni as mature age students, or who take a year off before going to uni are some of the most interesting, determined, and studious people I've met. So I cannot fathom how a decision one makes in the HSC could possibly cause regret or pain for the rest of somebody's life, or even for more than a year.

And that all assumes that if this guy drops chemistry he somehow won't get into a university course that suits him. Because if he does, then I can CERTAINLY guarantee that the HSC and his HSC subjects will mean all of diddly squat to him.

Its up to you - maths doth get harder later i think you should keep it until you're chem mark is far too crap to catch up or until you feel maths is a strong subject.
Fair advice. I wouldn't say maths gets harder, though. It's just that some topics aren't good for some people, and it seems to be unpredictable which ones (though conics, mechanics and volumes stand out - basically word problem questions).

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Am I a bit paranoid when reading the name of the thread? lolz

Agree with Slidey...

It's so true people keep whining and **** HSC and stuff, what's the point? You do what you have to do to get into a course. Just muck around while others are studying then by the end of the day taunt or jeer at them for being nerds. Look at their backs, they've been doing nothing. Look at the top students, they are far more talented and intelligent than those bludgers. Do they keep count of their failures and pressure? Hell no! Unless you don't want to get into your dreamt course in the Uni, play on and dream on! (ironic, eh?)

I used to be, honestly, arrogant when looking at some people who did pretty badly in their studies despite their attempts. I learnt it the hard way when I was...isolated for not being such a smart ass but such an arrogant idiot. Well, what's the point? It was hard to come back but giving encourageous advice is always more valuable and appreciated than showing your sneer. (Well, as Slidey said, by warning your friends/foes to drop some subjects)

By the way, if you need help with Chem, PM me. I'm not that smartass but I'm not a dumbass either. I've been sort of helping out some of my classmates so yeah, I find it very...um...helpful to myself as well. Kind of revising, you know? Just, for heaven's sake, don't drop it.

"The hard thing is the right thing" (Anonymous)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
You sure are a dumbfuck. Onces intelligence and talent can be huge, but if you don't work, you won't get the results or achieve anything. Just because you are killing exams and getting B6s, doesn't necessarily imply you are more talented or intelligent than anyone else. Can just be a factor of yo uworking harder than the rest.
Mind you, you'd better read again. I did say that those who are smart and got band 6 did work hard like Alex Borowsky. GOsh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)