$1000 for each child by this week (2 Viewers)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Families urged not to blow $1,000 Govt bonus
ABC - December 7, 2008, 8:00 am
New South Wales families are being urged not to go on a shopping spree when they receive the Federal Government's $1,000 child bonus this week.

The $10.4 billion package to boost consumer spending kicks in tomorrow.

Parents will get $1,000 for each child, while pensioners, carers, seniors and veterans will receive $1,400 over two weeks.

Opposition fair trading spokeswoman Catherine Cusack says families need to keep some money for the new year.

"Families in NSW will need to put aside at least an extra $140 for each high school child and $95 for primary school children to make up the cost of student travel, and also the axing of the back to school allowance," she said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5196130/families-urged-blow-1000-govt-bonus/

is this true ?
like for every family ?
sounds too good to be true =/
i turn 18 in like 2 weeks
would i still be elligble=P

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
omgd. said:
Families urged not to blow $1,000 Govt bonus
ABC - December 7, 2008, 8:00 am
New South Wales families are being urged not to go on a shopping spree when they receive the Federal Government's $1,000 child bonus this week.

The $10.4 billion package to boost consumer spending kicks in tomorrow.

Parents will get $1,000 for each child, while pensioners, carers, seniors and veterans will receive $1,400 over two weeks.

Opposition fair trading spokeswoman Catherine Cusack says families need to keep some money for the new year.

"Families in NSW will need to put aside at least an extra $140 for each high school child and $95 for primary school children to make up the cost of student travel, and also the axing of the back to school allowance," she said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5196130/families-urged-blow-1000-govt-bonus/

is this true ?
like for every family ?
sounds too good to be true =/
i turn 18 in like 2 weeks
would i still be applicable =P
I don't think I am elligble for this, that's what my mum told me.

We get $2000 for two other children at my house but I don't apprently get one...

and yeah, it's true.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I don't think I am elligble for this, that's what my mum told me.

We get $2000 for two other children at my house but I don't apprently get one...

and yeah, it's true.

How come youre not elligble ? =S
My dad was saying its just for families with low incomes or something
meaning i dont get one :(
is it for everyone ?
it doesnt say anything specific in the article

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it is not for every child.

To receive the one-off payment, you must have been entitled to Family Tax Benefit Part A on 14 October 2008. The payment will also be made for each dependent child who on 14 October 2008 were entitled to receive Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, a Veterans' Children Education Scheme payment or a Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act payment.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
No, it is not for every child.

how come it doesnt say that on the article
i got all excited for nothing
sigh *

:(

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
What gives me the shits is familes that:
-Put it on the mortgage
-Put it away for a rainyday (dickheads???)
-Put it in the bank
-Put in away for Safekeeping.

Seriously, this is money you had not originally planned for, and until October this year, it wasn't coming. So go on a Holiday, buy a car, buy a TV, just god damn spend it!!!!

There is an article in the Herald sun today, and this family gives me the ultimate shits, there clearly dickheads....

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
fucking bullshit.
Why?

Before you answer that, consider this:
a) It's an economic stimulus package. We're heading for a recession. You stop/dampen recessions by releasing economic and infrastructure stimulus. E.g. tax cuts, interest rate cuts, one-off handouts, healthcare funding, education funding, infrastructure spending.
b) In a recession, the people who suffer most are the low to middle socioeconomic groups (who also make up the bulk of consumers) because less money for them is more likely to mean less money for food, petrol, electricity, bills, etc, while less money for the rich just means less desire to keep up with the joneses (holidays, plasma TVs, new clothes, and plastic surgery). Coincidentally, this is also the exact reason for progressive tax instead of the flat tax which Liberals and less hardcore Libertarians favour... and they wonder why I call them selfish social Darwinists.
c) Continuing from b), the people who suffer most during a recession (working class Joe Blow) are the people who are most important to keep the economy running from day to day. Those well-off accountants, computer programmers, bankers, and lawyers might be vital to maintaining a well-oiled market democracy in the long-term - but it's the builders/repairmen, nurses, teachers, farmers, and shop assistants which the country cannot function even one week without. So without working class economic stimulus it goes like this: America crashes -> Australian working class start focusing on daily expenses instead of consumption -> economy slows -> some of the working class laid off to balance the books -> more strain on social security system -> less consumers means economy slows even further -> good game positive feedback system -> economy collapses (depression).

With that in mind, I'd like you to provide me a reason other than "it's a waste because it's 'redistributing wealth' with 'taxpayer dollars'". Because yes, damn fucking right our government is spending its taxpayer money to redistribute wealth to those who are most vulnerable during an economic crisis. It's spending it because 'taxpayer dollars' are a portion of wealth which Australians decided to forfeit to government over a hundred years ago, during the impending doom of the Long Depression, in an effort to empower government with the ability to make the kind of holistic-and-prescient broad economic actions, as an actual rational agent, which an individual market agent (the taxpayer) alone could not because of a mix of bounded rationality, imperfect information, and the prisoner dilemma (sorry about that laissez faire :().

So in light of the potential magnitude of this most recent economic crash, I think it is terribly fitting that 'taxpayer dollars' are being proactively spent to guard against the very thing (depression) which catalysed the creation of the modern Australian (progressive) tax system in the first place. That such proactive spending also redistributes wealth because it is targeted at the most vulnerable should be cause for joy, as it is particularly true to Australian egalitarianism... But if it is not, let me fall back to appeal to selfishness: think of it as applying extra metal sheeting to the most rusty point on the hull; even if it doesn't 'deserve' the extra protection because it rusted and you didn't, wouldn't opposing it because of that be oxidative suicide? I can't see how death would promote your oxidative Darwinism ideology, and anyway miss Raynd, if you were a real oxidative Darwinist, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss altruism.

N.B. BTW, this post is a sort of a preemptive response to Schroe, ari, Kwayera, and any random (probably Libertarian) berk who doesn't understand why governments spend more during economic crisis. Not not not just a massive overreaction to one, admittedly short-sighted, sentence on your part, Riet. Also, I'm not a phet binge.

Oh, speaking of Libertarianism, I have a funny article from 1997. This is for you, Schroe. :shy:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
NSW government said:
Eh, until the next election, I'm going to give NSW Labour the benefit of the doubt and assume that such fairly drastic cuts were necessary to balance the budget.

Why no knee-jerk criticism? Because the next election is in 2011 and as such if they haven't made significant improvements in NSW by then, I'll have no qualms about preferencing Liberals. Cutting monetary support to parents and making kids pay for school buses isn't exactly populist politics, is it?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
milocole said:
There is an article in the Herald sun today, and this family gives me the ultimate shits, there clearly dickheads....
I found your problem.

The solution is to stop reading/watching any newspaper or network owned by Rupert Murdoch, and avoid populist journalism.

Here's a short (incomplete) list of things to avoid: Fox News, The Daily Telegraph, The Herald Sun, A Current Affair, Today Tonight.

The resolution is that you get less worked up about sensationalist stories which take rare problems or atrocities and misrepresent them as a common and immediate threat, or trivial & benign phenomena and mischaracterise them as dangerous.

Not surprisingly, the above media entities regularly run stories about paedophiles, even though they're relatively rare. I challenge you to take a good, long look at the next story about paedophilia and critically analyse it - ask yourself what the author thinks, are they objective, are they letting you reach your own conclusion or influencing you, what data or points of view do they carefully omit, what imagery (adjectives, etc) do they use, do they just report facts or also comment on them, do they preface facts with biased characterisations, do they put forth anecdotal evidence as fact or build up a sense of uncertainty punctured by 'eye-witness' reports, do they begin objectively and end subjectively, and most of all: do they (implicitly or explicitly) justify their bias in the name of 'protecting the children'?*

Fox, The Daily Telegraph, Today Tonight, etc, are designed not to report facts but preach an ideology. They elicit a strong emotional sense of distrust, fear and suspicion not to be particularly malevolent, rather to manufacture the type of confrontational 'us vs them' atmosphere of paranoia which makes political manipulation so easy and guarantees you'll come back to them, your trustworthy and sympathetic source, for your daily hype fix. It's probably the second strongest marketing scheme after Coca-Cola. Except once you realise they're trying to feed off your insecurities, they lose.

* Because 'protecting the children' should automatically sound huge, loud warning alarms in your head:
Mein Kampf said:
The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
The above quote puts even some typical Western government proposals in perspective, but in practice we're most familiar with it under the guise of propaganda emanating from government-run media in corrupt, authoritarian de facto one-party states like China, Iran or Russia.

So it should send a shiver down any sane person's spine and give them significant pause for thought when we they discover that in one of the most free, stable, and staunchly democratic countries in the world, not only does just one man control more than 60% of the media, but that one man also actively manipulates said media in a method somewhat reminiscent of a famous authoritarian dictator. In light of that, perhaps it's actually a good thing that almost the remainder, 30%, is also controlled by just one competing company (albeit one which at least seems to defer to journalistic integrity and relatively objective fact reporting rather the suspicious political machinations of a shadowy figure). Thank god for small mercies, eh?

Rupert Murdoch even owns MySpace (hence why it sporadically bans atheists), how perverse is that?

Here's an incentive: if you follow my advice, you may just manage to avoid ending up a brain-washed, neoconservative follower of Andrew Bolt like our resident creationist and science hater, alexdore993.

Last edited:

Delinda

HSC
It's only for families with an income of less than $150 000. But i think it's come at a ridiculous time, the economy is still going to struggle in the next few years and for many people their situation is only going to get worse. I think it should have come when times are really tough, say in the next few years, because to be honest the financial position of our economy is not as bad as what it could be.

mumajugs1

HSC
Wow pretty sure our famly earns less then $150 000 and we arent getting it. Is it only for Families that have govt. jobs?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
For fucks sake people, google the fucking thing and stop asking stupid questions.

IT IS FOR FAMILIES WHO RECEIVE THE FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART A WHICH CAN ONLY BE CLAIMED BY THOSE WHO EARN LESS (COLLECTIVELY OR OTHERWISE) THAN 150K.

NO IT'S NOT FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS
IT'S NOT FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS JUST TURNED 18
FFS FFS FFS

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
katie tully said:
For fucks sake people, google the fucking thing and stop asking stupid questions.

IT IS FOR FAMILIES WHO RECEIVE THE FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART A WHICH CAN ONLY BE CLAIMED BY THOSE WHO EARN LESS (COLLECTIVELY OR OTHERWISE) THAN 150K.

NO IT'S NOT FOR GOVERNMENT JOBS
IT'S NOT FOR ANYBODY WHO HAS JUST TURNED 18
FFS FFS FFS
And carers and pensioners, etc etc

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
im getting my $1k on Wed;

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
milocole said:
What gives me the shits is familes that:
-Put it on the mortgage
-Put it away for a rainyday (dickheads???)
-Put it in the bank
-Put in away for Safekeeping.
Im going to do this btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)