11 units vs 10units (1 Viewer)

mugenR

HSC
Hey i'm thinking of dropping ext 1 maths this coming term because my teacher is terrible and iam not doing that well in it, but that would put me down to 10units from 11 so no back up.. my subjects at the moment are 3unit maths, adv eng, business, eco and pdh.. and apparently pdh and 3unit maths are always on the same day for the HSC i dunno how i could put up with that either.. any advice would be awesome guys especially from the people who have done 3unit maths and pdh before on the same day etc

justmeme

HSC
N/A
if u do well in all your other subjects, i dont see a prob in having 10 units.

also, i dont think you should worry about when the exams are on and whether they double up or not

nottellingu

HSC
If ur going well in ext maths keep it because it scales pretty good and can be quet the back up. But then again 1 unit pffftt it aint worth the time and effort. You could be spending all that time maximising the marks of ur other subjects. :D

Muz4PM

HSC
mugenR said:
Hey i'm thinking of dropping ext 1 maths this coming term because my teacher is terrible and iam not doing that well in it, but that would put me down to 10units from 11 so no back up.. my subjects at the moment are 3unit maths, adv eng, business, eco and pdh.. and apparently pdh and 3unit maths are always on the same day for the HSC i dunno how i could put up with that either.. any advice would be awesome guys especially from the people who have done 3unit maths and pdh before on the same day etc
Haha, having two exams in one day would suck. However, the timetable for the '08 HSC is due out on May 1, so you can check it there.

I am in a similar situation, I am not doing well in Ext. Maths, but I have 12 units, so I can afford to drop one. If you are going badly then I think it is best you drop it. The amount of time and effort you will put in to get a good mark in extension will detract from you doing well in your other subjects. I think that you should drop it and go with ten, especially if you are doing well in those ten and concentrate on doing well in them. Good luck.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Having 11 units SAVED my HSC. I did so bad in 2u math and that 1 extra unit of english absouloutly saved my mark. I reckon it made 5-10 UAI difference. Worth the trouble of doing it in my opinion.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
mugenR said:
Hey i'm thinking of dropping ext 1 maths this coming term because my teacher is terrible and iam not doing that well in it, but that would put me down to 10units from 11 so no back up.. my subjects at the moment are 3unit maths, adv eng, business, eco and pdh..
Well if you're sure that the ext unit will be you worst then drop it. There's no point doing it if you know you'll do badly. So I say drop it, the time spent (wasted) on the ext unit will leave the opportunity to study another subject forgone (lol, opportunity cost).

mugenR said:
and apparently pdh and 3unit maths are always on the same day for the HSC
It's differet every year so i doubt it's always on the same day.

mugenR

HSC
well apparently the last 30years they have been on the same year.. and thanks for your replies

notaaron

HSC
Take into account your marks & ranks.

If your only getting 60% but coming top 3, id say keep it.

independantz

HSC
I'd say keep it as it makes 2unit seem so much easier, as you're provided with a range of more difficult questions, in extension 1.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i'd probably keep it..
i wouldn't worry too much about the doubling up of exams interms of ur subject choice...
that said, i didnt have two exams on one day and iknow from friends that pdh has alot of content (stilll u don't really need to cram much content for maths.. they should be skills u practice for ages till theyre stuck in your head)

ext 1 math is alot of extra work for one unit (as compared to say SOR I) but it will do wonders for ur marks if u do welll.
futhermore speaking from experience.. i had 11 units.. i had always intended that a unit of my advanced english wouldn't count.. turns out i got a solid band 6 in it whilst in modern (a subject i had always been told i was set for a high band 6 in) i didn't quite get what i thought i would...

You can never predict these things, i'd say keep it for safety.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Are you confident with all your 10 units? If not, better stick to 11 units to have one unit to fall back on.

Personally, I don't see the reason to do 11 units or 12 units if you are extremely adept at everything you do. So make a careful decision as it only comes once.

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC
lyounamu said:
Are you confident with all your 10 units? If not, better stick to 11 units to have one unit to fall back on.

Personally, I don't see the reason to do 11 units or 12 units if you are extremely adept at everything you do. So make a careful decision as it only comes once.
I agree to an extent. I think that it is good to have one or two fall back units, the only thing which I don't agree with in your post is that what is the point on having the eleventh fall back unit if it will probably be your worst and won't count? By the sounds of it, this person is having some troubles with Extension Maths, and it will probably be their worst unit, so if that is the case, why keep it if it will detract from your focus on the other ten?

Of course, this person may do well in the HSC Extension test, and bomb out in another, so the unit maybe helpful, but from what I gather, the odds of that happening would be slim.

I do agree with the last part of your post, if you are doing well in 10 of your units, you may as well concentrate on those ten, rather than dragging one or two which you won't need.

yellow7

XD
HSC
i've got 11 units too

now correct me if im wrong, but dont they only count ur best 10units? and if thats the case, the extension course wont be counted, not even if u get 100

am i right, or has my school screwed me over, yet again? honestly i hate my school its so lame

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
yellow7 said:
i've got 11 units too

now correct me if im wrong, but dont they only count ur best 10units? and if thats the case, the extension course wont be counted, not even if u get 100

am i right, or has my school screwed me over, yet again? honestly i hate my school its so lame

no, your top ten units are counted. If your 11th unit isn't the lowest then the lowest 2unit subject is 'chopped in half' basically and is only worth 1 unit. The 11th unit will replace the missing unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)