12 units or 10 units and Extension 2 maths (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
So I was thinking about dropping Economics. I really liked the year 11 course, but the year 12 course seems harder and less interesting for me.
But dropping would leave me with 10 units. Is this a good idea.

Also, we have only done Complex numbers and polynomials in ext2. How much of the course should I have finished by now?
How much of the course have other schools finished by now? I have not done any accelerated subjects and We still haven't finished 2-unit.
It would be good to get a reply from anyone else who has done 4-unit or currently completing it.

EDIT: I'm stuck whether on doing Quanta to Quarks or Age of Silicon as my Physics option.
I like electrical engineering, but I don't do any of the HSC multi/IT/IPT,etc. subjects. Will that affect my performance in Age of Silicon? And it seems there are barely any resources for this module either. I have a deep knowledge in radioactivity (more than usual because I researched it since year 8) but I know nothing about quarks except the elementary particle table.

EDIT:Our teacher for Physics said most of the class will do Medical Physics. Although when I discussed this with him, he said it is very flexible for the top 3 in our class to choose another topic if we want.

My marks in my first exams.

2-unit Maths- 97% (This doesn't count unless I drop MEX 2)
MEX 1- 98%
MEX 2- 96%
Chemistry- 84% (2 silly mistakes cost me 8%)
Physics- 90%
English Advanced- 80%
Economics- 56% (Edit)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
Our school had only done complex numbers by this point but I think we were very behind other schools LOL- we were really rushing towards the end. Complex and polynomials seems like a nice pace- you should be sweet for the rest of the course.

Looking at your marks, your eco marks are WAYYY lower than your other subjects + coupled with the fact you dislike it would suggest to me that it defs won't count and you might as well drop it. Having said this, I recommend just keeping it a tiny bit longer because something could change. If after half-yearlies its the same situation, get rid of it imo

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
id keep it. wait till heal yearlies if you can. i was tossing up between bio and chem and eco to drop and i wish id waited till half yearlies then made the decision

enoilgam

HSC
I would probably drop economics. There is no point having the extra two units if they are extremely unlikely to count towards your ATAR. I would probably keep the units a bit longer (maybe until after the half yearlies), but if you really feel strongly about dropping out at this point then I would drop. You have already experienced a term of the HSC course and a round of assessments, so you should have a fair perspective on it.

Last edited:

Riaa

HSC
I was in a similar position to you this point last year (same subjects as well :p). Wanted to drop Physics, but in the end I sat the HSC and it didn't count. I only kept it as a 'safety net' and because it was such an epic class. So, I would say, decide by half yearlies at the latest. I would drop it though.

For 4U, we finished complex numbers before summer holidays. By half yearlies, we were tested on complex, volumes, polynomials and conics.
Imo since you are smashing MX2, I would keep it. From memory, our assessments were extremely difficult and passing was considered Godlike. Since you are getting 90%+
it is worthwhile to keep.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In your case, it looks very, very unlikely for Economics to count and it's not even just slightly lower to be a decent "back up". I'd probably drop it if I was you.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would drop it as soon as possible - if you don't like it, you won't study for it and it will just waste your time in class.

In fact, I was in a similar situation with Modern History which I began hating with a passion - I dropped it as soon as I could because I just felt so sluggish in it.

deswa1

HSC
Re: your added question- doesn't your class decide? Either way, if you get to make the call, do Q2Q imo. There are soooo many resources on that that it makes everything a lot easier. You don't need any pre-knowledge or anything really; its pretty simple + the fact that you do chem helps

Pfortune35

HSC
i dont know what school you go to so this is hard to judge but 96% in ext 2 is pretty fucking good. DONT DROP IT

also at my school we've only done 2 topics aswell and so have most other people ive talked to.

as far as econmics goes, if 12 is too much to carry, drop it, do better in your other subs

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school for MX2 we have completed complex numbers, polynomials, started the first exercise on conics and we did further graphs as well.

Although;
- We did do the whole further graphs topic in one day at the end of term 4 with schools from around the region
- Our class at school only had the top three (imo) maths kids start MX2 (rather than the usual 6-8) and we have a boss teacher, so we all understand the content pretty quickly
- All three of our frees lined up so our class is actually online, and we share frees so are able to help each other, plus our MX1 teacher also teaches MX2, so if we need help we have plenty of people to ask

jellyo

HSC
I think you should continue economics until your result for your next assessment comes back. I prefer having something as a back up

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
i dont know what school you go to so this is hard to judge but 96% in ext 2 is pretty fucking good. DONT DROP IT

also at my school we've only done 2 topics aswell and so have most other people ive talked to.

as far as econmics goes, if 12 is too much to carry, drop it, do better in your other subs
Our exam was only on Complex numbers, and I do every question in two textbooks.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
To be honest, don't drop anything you don't seem to have any real need to drop something, don't drop for the sake of 10 units. You have very good subject combinations and should be kept as is tbh, you aren't struggling in anything it seems so there is no point of dropping. Wait until the HYE and make another judgement.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
No way, drop it as soon as possible. All these year 12s say to wait wait wait and do half yearlies, you need to act asap if you want to drop a subject, otherwise you're wasting precious time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)