14 Units for Year 12 (1 Viewer)

shay_la7

HSC
Hey guys I'm just wondering whether or not to take up French Extension moving my number of units from 13 to 14.

At the moment I take Ext Maths, Adv English, Chemistry, Biology, French Continuers and Spanish Beginners. I wasn't considering it before but after learning that it will only be one morning class a week and considering I already wake up pretty early in the mornings and live close to my school it won't be much of a hassle. Also I feel like it will improve my continuers even if I only take it for a bit. I'm doing decent in all of my subjects at the moment (except English but I can't drop anyway :() and I also enjoy all the subjects I'm doing. Is doing 14 units even for just a bit a bad idea?

astroman

HSC
It's a bad idea, why would you want to do 14??? Focus your time on the 10 units that will count. I recommend sticking to 12 that way you have a failsafe subject if one does go bad.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
14 units is a lot of work. It is not worth putting that much stress on yourself if four units won't count. I'd say try and stick with twelve so you have a back up for your ATAR.

fluffchuck

HSC
14 units is definitely a lot, however, if you genuinely enjoy all 14 units and have the time to study for all your units, then it is okay. I knew a people who have done extremely well in the HSC with 14 units.

ConquerHSC

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't recommend it, esp focusing on getting the best marks possible for all your subjects. Only 10 units will count towards your ATAR.

However, I am not sure how much French mean to you personally but you are also studying Spanish beginners.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
you are not doing yourself any favours by doing nearly 1.5 times as many units as most people are

stick with 10 at most 11.

doesn't matter if you enjoy all of your subjects, pick the one/two that u can drop

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
my advice

if you like science

drop both languages

if you wanna learn languages

drop both sciences

if you like one or the other

pick one of bio/chem or french/spanish

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
If you really truly have a passion for all of your subjects (not necessarily including compulsory English) then you could try doing 14 units and see if you can bear the workload, and drop later if you feel that it's too much.

m3medes

HSC
Jesus...... please don't take 14 units it'll completely kill you. French extension is a great course, but what is your extra 2 units? I only count 11. Extension helps massively with vocab and speaking (monologues......) but it is alot of work if you wanna get the benefits of it. Need to do your own research and there aren't many resources. I would recommend the course but don't do 14 units. I'm on 11, (currently doing HSC) and i did 4 x the amount of work for extension that continuers during the term and for assessments, but i still copped 75% for my extension marks as oppossed to high 90's for continuers.

Jokes, I realise Ext 1 maths involves 2U as well. Sorry. But please drop 2 of your units, I'm not sure how you're performing but I'd say Spanish Beginners is good to drop as beginners languages scale bad compared to your others, it's alot of work for vocab etc.

HSC
did 14 units in y12 here xd
had a similar problem to you as i couldnt decide which subjects to drop since i enjoyed them
suspect i would have done better if i did less units but do i regret it? honestly, nah

didn't do a language subject but i've heard that it's a lot of work? Logically, you can spend more time per subject if you have less units but at the end of the day, it's completely up to you and what you think you can handle :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)