14 units in y11? (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
hi so apparently my school encourages us to do at least 6 subjects, but with my combination of choices i would be doing 5 subjects with already 12 units;

3u eng
3u maths
eco
modern
legal

they want me to take another subject?? and honestly i also want a subject to break the humanities.

i kinda want to try doing a language for fun (chinese or french beginners???) but then i'd possibily have to do distance ed or saturday school. the sciences are also an option but i'm not that into stem and i feel they require too much effort when i will most likely drop them in y12. the most i find enjoyable is bio but is heavy on memorisation and i don't think that eases my workload at all. i find chem interesting enough so with adequate coercion i might give it consideration. but who knows? if i do somehow produce good results i might keep the subject and drop one humanities subject just to give myself a break.

any advice is appreciated.

also if anyone has done 14 units in y11 before can you please let me know what the workload was like and your routine. thanks!

for reference this is what im planning with year 12 subjects

3/4u eng (depends on my motivation for major work but willing)
2/3u maths (if i get good marks in y11 i'll keep the ext but most likely only doing adv)
modern
hist ext (fav subject!!! very excited to do it)
^ these are my definite choices and reasonings.

eco
legal
(subject i decide to do, either languages/sci)
^ i will pick my two best subjects out of these three

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Taking a language subject is a good option as it is always beneficial to learn a second language or to strengthen your ability in a language that you have previously familiarised yourself with (if applicable). Based on this, you may wish to consider taking the language subject that you feel would best suit your interests and where you feel you can perform at a higher standard.

The French Beginners course assumes that students have had very little or no prior exposure to the French language, making the subject relatively easy for non-natives as it mostly explores basic aspects of French. On the other hand, depending on which level of Chinese you are contemplating and whether you have some sort of background in this language, studying Chinese may be a good option, although it will likely be more difficult than French Beginners, which is something to keep in mind.

I would also like to note that there was a decent increase in resources for French (including French Beginners) in the Notes & Resources section, which may be beneficial, should you end up taking French Beginners. They can be accessed using the following link:

In terms of distance education, which I assume will be required to take French Beginners, it is likely not to be problematic, given the low difficulty of the subject and provided you are able to commit to studying a subject via distance education, which involves being determined and diligent in your studies. Overall, choosing between French Beginners and Chinese is subject to your own consideration, although taking a language subject altogether definitely has its advantages and is also likely not to be a substantial addition to your workload.

From the information that you have provided, it seems like Biology would be the best option with respect to Science subjects, given the fact that you find it enjoyable, implying the possibility of performing favourably in this subject. However, the added workload resulting from taking this subject may be problematic, especially when considering the other subjects that you intend to take. Based on this, if you strongly believe that you can effectively manage a rather heavy workload, then you may wish to consider taking Biology. If not, taking a language subject is likely the superior option, and would be my personal recommendation.

I hope this helps! 😄

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Physics may be beneficial to ext 1 math, but that's only in yr 12

Through doing 14 units in year 11, and doing 2 extension subjects in year 12, you may be able to drop 2 subjects in year 12 given that you don't like some of your subjects.

Hope that makes sense

cyniczny

HSC
i did 14 units during term 1 year 11 - my school wanted me to do 12 units there just in case saturday school fell through or something like that. luckily it didn't, and once i got my marks back for the first assessment i was able to drop a subject. my workload for that first term wasn't too stressful (also given it was term 1 and there wasn't as much going on), but looking back i'm not sure i would have been able to handle doing 14 units for the whole year, as i had few free periods and quite a lot to do.

if you are going to take 14, i'd suggest taking a subject with a slightly lower workload (that's based on your interpretation, of course) - french beginners is a good choice, and if you speak another language at home that's offered at saturday school you could look into that. if you're not the type to be able to manage a whole lot of work, particularly with your humanities subjects that are relatively content-heavy, you might want to see if your school can make an exception for the subject issue.

for interest, my subjects for term 1 year 11 were: ext eng, standard maths, legal, japanese cont., french cont., polish cont. (saturday school), and philosophy (1u board endorsed). i ended up dropping japanese (realised i wasn't very good lmao)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)