16 Year olds doing the HSC (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ditto to birdman89 for me, and Justin...wow! How did that happen? Something like that hasn't happened since Amelia Joy Thompson last year (2005) when she started accelerating courses towards her HSC back in Year 8, 2001.

My previous school changing academic years from January to June, and because I then came here, from the British system at my old school, which has 13 years, making me two years younger for my cohort.

Nothing special, really. As long as you do well, I'm sure no-one will really care how old you are. A 19 year old in my grade is doing really well, and is a boarder too so has to take care of herself, and people respect her for it, rather than thinking that 'geez, she's ancient'. On that note and no insults to anyone, I'd personally rather have been the dux of my grade (not that I was anywhere near achieving it) and old (she turned 18 in July last year), than be young and nowhere near as good--let's just say there were 3 UAI points between her UAI and mine.

rawker

HSC
At the start of Yr 11 last year we had a girl who was 26, had 3 kids and divorced at our school. Teacher's thought it was funny though when she was not only older than them, but had phone call's from her children's school. lol. She dropped out near the end of year 11 though.

Kaz Man

HSC
looks like everyone's doing accelerated courses. it's kinda sad cuz at our school, we're not allowed to accelerate, even though it's a selective school. i think most, if not all selective schools accelerate...

We've got pretty normal people at our school. i'm turning 17 in july but i've got a friend turning 19 after the hsc. it's kinda scary to get put in the same grade as someone 1 and a half years older than you... you don't really think about it much at school but it's a weird feeling.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Kaz Man said:
We've got pretty normal people at our school. i'm turning 17 in july but i've got a friend turning 19 after the hsc. it's kinda scary to get put in the same grade as someone 1 and a half years older than you... you don't really think about it much at school but it's a weird feeling.
Wow, you're going to completely freak out at Uni...

Justin

HSC
yeh, at university there are people of all ages doing courses.

thewhitecomet

HSC
Kaz Man said:
looks like everyone's doing accelerated courses. it's kinda sad cuz at our school, we're not allowed to accelerate, even though it's a selective school. i think most, if not all selective schools accelerate...
Accelerating isn't really a big thing usually it's done in small numbers so it's not something to worry about. Occasionally, there's a headmaster like mine who thinks it's wise to accelerate half the year 11 cohort in maths. (we all did pretty well though )

rahrah

¬_¬
HSC
Hey, i`m turning 16 in a couple of weeks as well. So yeh, 16 for the HSC. silentdarkangel: the SC`s not hard... Not the Maths and Science sections anyway.

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
Candi4u said:
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else was doing their HSC at the age of 16. I will be turning 16 in Febuary this year, and completing my HSC, so i dont turn 17 until i start university basically.

Is there anyone else out there like me?
there's a 16 year old girl in my year who is in the top 5 ranks of all her subjects competing against 17 and 18 year olds.

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Wow... smart people...

I'm in newc med right now, and and there were 3 16yr olds in my course when i started... and a 15yr old girl who chose to defer. Kinda scary when u think about it.

All i can say is... if ur that young at least u won't have trouble getting a job after u finish... hehe

NobodyKnows

HSC
A l said:
Sometimes I feel sorry for those who turn 18 years of age in the HSC examination period, especially on the day of one of their exams.
Aheh, that would be me. I turn 18 on October 20, second official day of the exam period. Oh goody.

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
I was accelerated when I was about 5 [I skipped Year 1] and so I turned 17 on the third day of my HSC after accelerating HSC Chemistry at the age of just 16 [while in Year 11].

So that I'm not an exceptionally young uni student [I'll turn 18 this October] I'm doing a GAP year in England this year and then I'll start Arts/Law at UNSW next year. I don't think being accelerated hurt my academic performance; I got a UAI of 99.70 - and I don't think it hindered my social skills either. But it can go both ways - I know of people who were accelerated [typically more than one year] whose social skills aren't really up to scratch.

I wasn't the youngest in my year, by the way - the youngest girl in my Year 12 topped the state in Biology after turning 16 two months before the HSC. She'd been accelerated 2 years.

nanajim

HSC
i skipped year 1 as well!! i have a friend. I'm 17 during stu- vac time, October first. Ok say you get paid out by your friends everynow and again, but its not that bad.

ane_st

HSC
im turning 17 in july, i guess its not the same, but otherwise that is quite young, but hey if you can do it, then why not?!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
eafj90 said:
I'm 15 now, and i did my hsc last yr (full hsc, 11 units) - i'm going to uni this year, and i turn 16 at the end of may
What UAI did u get?

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I'm turning 17 during the HSC, skipped Year 3 back in primary. I don't think it's affected me emotionally or intellectually or whatever, except that I'm not bored anymore. I was doing accellerated maths for a couple of years, but decided not to do my HSC two years ahead, so dropped back. I'm doing 13U at the moment: 4U English, 3U Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Modern History. A boy that used to go to my school did his HSC (Maths) in 2005, and got a scaled 3U mark of about 97 and a 4U of about 96. He was 13 at the time. That is what I call "above-average" intellect. Too bad his social skills were a little on the downside.

joanne289

HSC
shortie_89 said:
i just finished the hsc (so '05) and i turned 16 in august..
and there was apparently a girl who was only 15 last year that did the hsc..
cheers
and good luck for '06 of course!
:) shortie
I know this girl! we're friends with their family. anyway, i'm 15 and in Year 12 now, but i turn 16 in september so i'll have just turned 16 when i do the HSC

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
im turning 17 in may. (god i feel so old).

ahh.. the beauty of being younger than every1 else in the school and kicking most of their asses in tests. ^_^

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
shinji said:
im turning 17 in may. (god i feel so old).

ahh.. the beauty of being younger than every1 else in the school and kicking most of their asses in tests. ^_^
I know the feeling, but not to the extent of some of these BOS'ers.. doing the HSC at 15 is crazy!

Krustallosice

HSC
wow! some pplz are so smart *sigh* unfortunately i'm one of the average ones <<shruggs>> :p but there's also some pplz doing the HSC when their 19 or over at my school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)