1st Ranking = highest exam mark? (1 Viewer)

ceebee21

HSC
Ok...Ive been told time and time again, but i have a few questions to clear up if anyone can help me...

Is it true that if you are ranked first, and you have a really bad exam for some reason you still receive the highest exam mark that your class gained in HSC exam? Is this also true for every ranking? E.g. second ranking receives 2nd exam result etc etc.

The other question I have is - If your ranked first I have been told that the highest exam mark in the HSC for your class becomes your internal assessment mark? What then happens if the exam result which is supposed to become your internal assessment mark is lower than the actual internal assessment mark you earned all year? or lower than that of the people ranked 2nd or 3rd?

Thanks if anyone can clear these up!

rama_v

HSC
Yes, it is true that the person whose ranked first in the class will have an assessment mark equivalent to the highest HSC exam mark in that class.

I am not sure if what you said is true for the 2nd rank..

Also yes it is true that if your ranked first, and you get the highest HSC exam mark from your class, then that will become your assessment mark even if it is lower.
e.g. a studnet is ranked first in the class, and the school sends an assessment mark of 90 to the BOS. The student then gets 75 in the HSC exam, but no one else from the class gets above 75 either. Hence the student's assessment mark is moderated down to 75. In the case that someone from your class beats you and comes first in the HSC exam, you keep your HSC exam mark as always, but their HSC exam mark becomes your assessment mark.

P.S. This thread should really have been posted in the UAI/HSC Marks technical area.

Last edited:

ceebee21

HSC
So you work hard all year and have a great assessment mark and just because your ranked first your marks can get lowered? that sucks! I'm ranked first in all my subjects so if the best exam result is lower than the assessment marks for say even those ranked 2nd and 3rd..my marks are dropped below these people? gee...this removes all my hard work of the year and seems slightly unfair...!

rama_v

HSC
ceebee21 said:
So you work hard all year and have a great assessment mark and just because your ranked first your marks can get lowered? that sucks! I'm ranked first in all my subjects so if the best exam result is lower than the assessment marks for say even those ranked 2nd and 3rd..my marks are dropped below these people? gee...this removes all my hard work of the year and seems slightly unfair...!
Its not unfair, its an advantage...Because even if you screw up in the exam, you get the highest HSC mark that anyone from your class got as your assessment mark. Its the only way to make sure that your school isn't marking you 'easy'. Otherwise every school would be giving 100 to their students. If you come first your assessment mark can only be lowered by your own performance, not the performance of everyone else in your class. This is not true for the peopel not ranked first however. Thats the advantage of coming first.

EDIT: also, I forgot to mention, that if your first and your assessment mark is moderated down, then so is everyone elses in the class.

Last edited:

DarkPrince_87

HSC
ok i have a question...in ipt for example this person beat me by 1 mark (all coz the teacher is bias and hates me) i spoke to him after the test and he didnt answer 8 marks worth of questions where i answered em all and am expecting a band 5...and hes expecting a band 4...lets just say for internal marks i got 76 and he gor 77 but in the HSC i get 88 and he gets 76...doesnt this seem slightly unfair coz originally he beats me by one mark and i flog him in the HSC and it shows that his internal mark beats me by like 12 wen it was originally one.,...im confused but if thats how it goes it sux

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
rama_v said:
Its not unfair, its an advantage...Because even if you screw up in teh exam, you get the highest HSC mark that anyone from your class got as your assessment mark. Its the only way to make sure that your school isn't marking you 'easy'. Otherwise every school would be giving 100 to their students. If you come first your assessment mark can only be lowered by your own performance, not the performance of everyone else in your class. This is not true for the peopel not ranked first however. Thats the advantage of coming first.

EDIT: also, I forgot to mention, that if your first and your assessment mark is moderated down, then so is everyone elses in the class.
well explained Rama v

for the EDIT in ur post, I think there are exceptions, for example, if everyone else performs near equivalent or better than their assessment marks, but the person ranked 1st stuffs up, I dont think the class will be affacted so much, but yeh generaly everyone else would most likely be affected!... Im not too sure about this, but yep, sounds right!

rama_v

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
ok i have a question...in ipt for example this person beat me by 1 mark (all coz the teacher is bias and hates me) i spoke to him after the test and he didnt answer 8 marks worth of questions where i answered em all and am expecting a band 5...and hes expecting a band 4...lets just say for internal marks i got 76 and he gor 77 but in the HSC i get 88 and he gets 76...doesnt this seem slightly unfair coz originally he beats me by one mark and i flog him in the HSC and it shows that his internal mark beats me by like 12 wen it was originally one.,...im confused but if thats how it goes it sux
I am not 100% on this, you would have to ask someone like Laz or Rench, but lets say ur situation is true, then because your HSC mark was 88 then the internal mark for him would become 88. I am pretty sure your internal mark would get dragged up accordingly as well, for exmaple it may become 85. You keep your HSC Mark and so does he. In the end you are not disadvantaged, and neither is he.

physician

HSC
DarkPrince_87 said:
Since u did well in the exam, ur internal will not be 76 anymore it will most likely be moderated, and depending on how the rest of ur class performs, u may even end up with a higher mark than him!

in the example uve given above, his final HSC mark will be (88+76)/2=82%, urs would probably be higher..of course depeding on how the rest of ur class performs!

punch some marks into this protoype, it should give u a better understanding:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
physician said:
well explained Rama v

for the EDIT in ur post, I think there are exceptions, for example, if everyone else performs near equivalent or better than their assessment marks, but the person ranked 1st stuffs up, I dont think the class will be affacted so much, but yeh generaly everyone else would most likely be affected!... Im not too sure about this, but yep, sounds right!
Yeah..Im pretty sure that other factors come into play when there are huge differences, thats why I cant say for sure ;)

7th Sign

HSC
no this is not true...

if u get like 1st with a internal mark of 90%

and a exam mark which really sucks like 50%

bos will be like hay theirs something up here and you will get totally dropped...

it is only ok if you get like 80s and every one gets 90s and your 1st then you may be in front of them.

Also how does this work if you equal first in a subject?

rama_v

HSC
7th Sign said:
no this is not true...

if u get like 1st with a internal mark of 90%

and a exam mark which really sucks like 50%

bos will be like hay theirs something up here and you will get totally dropped...

it is only ok if you get like 80s and every one gets 90s and your 1st then you may be in front of them.
Yep like I said, I am pretty sure there are other factors that come into play when such a thing occurs. Just what effect they have, I do not know, thats best left to more enlightened ones to answer :)

7th Sign

HSC
i think its in like a margin of 10% if people are 1st and 2nd around that

any thing higer then 10% and then bos would become sus .... thinking hay this is been bias...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Just to clear something up, it is true that the person who came first in your class gets the highest exam mark as their assessment mark, but it doesn't just go 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the same way......the remaining marks earned by everyone in your class in the exams are pooled and then allocated according to the relative difference between the ranks of the assessment marks your school sent in....

Diiiiiana-_-

B. Int. Studies @ Usyd !!
HSC
OMG -0-
if that's the case with the rankings and HSC marks
I'm so screwed up ~
I had to go overseas because of an external Exam
got to do with my Visa problems
So my rankings dropped to 3rd and 4th from 1st and 2nd
in nearly all my subjects,
i was away during Trial Periods So i Stuffed up my Trials,

i aisssssed the HSC,

But i guess .. ........... NO USE, since my ranking is not good enough?

(our school has only about 10 kids in one class)

rama_v

HSC
Diiiiiana-_- said:
OMG -0-
if that's the case with the rankings and HSC marks
I'm so screwed up ~
I had to go overseas because of an external Exam
got to do with my Visa problems
So my rankings dropped to 3rd and 4th from 1st and 2nd
in nearly all my subjects,
i was away during Trial Periods So i Stuffed up my Trials,

i aisssssed the HSC,

But i guess .. ........... NO USE, since my ranking is not good enough?

(our school has only about 10 kids in one class)
I'm pretty sure that if you aced the HSC then you will still get good marks especially because your ranks sound good...The system is designed to benefit students for working throughout the year, as well as to reward those who do well in the HSC...so dont sweat:)

Last edited:

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
I havent bothered to read half of the replies.

Its a FAIR system people dont worry.

Your internal assesment mark is flexible, all that is maintained is your rank and the differences between each person in the class.

If you come first in assesment with a 80, and the guy who came second gets a 79.

Say guy who comes second beats you in hsc, gets a 95 whereas you get a 90.

Your INTERNAL assesment mark will be 95, and your hsc mark will be 90.

HIS internal assesment mark will be around 93-94 (see the DIFFERENCE between you is maintained) and his hsc mark will be 95.

see? its a fair system

7th Sign

HSC
im pretty sure it does not count as much for heaps big schools

if your some one who goes to a school wiht like 20 people I dont know it may be different

Gumdropz

HSC
7th Sign said:
Also how does this work if you equal first in a subject?

I heard that if you are equal 1st in a subject, then your two marks are averaged.
so if you get 88 and the other person gets 72, both of you will get the average of those two marks for your internal assesment marks.

helenpoo

HSC
Your internal assesment mark is flexible
You have made my day. I have been fed so much about the mark fiddling, but that has never been told to me. There is hope!

physician

HSC
Gumdropz said:
I heard that if you are equal 1st in a subject, then your two marks are averaged.
so if you get 88 and the other person gets 72, both of you will get the average of those two marks for your internal assesment marks.

yep, thats right!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)