1st year review (1 Viewer)

deadnature

HSC
Hey everyone - i know this is chiche but can any of the students that have completed the first year (BE - Mechanical & Manufacturing Eng) give me a run down on how difficult the course actually is like how hard is the maths i.e. in mathematics 1131 and whats higher physics like anything would be appreciated. Cheers

click here

to see my profile
HSC
The maths 1131 course is like a mixed of 3 unit and 4 unit subjects so if you only did 2 unit maths you might find it a bit difficult.

As for physics, I found it hard because I didn't do it at school and I actually failed lol!

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
MATH1131 started where 3-unit left off, covered most of 4-unit stuff and a little more. MATH1231 continued on, covering different topics.
They're not much harder than 3-unit, just different. Each is about equivalent in number-of-topics to 2 units of HSC maths, and equivalent in difficulty to 4-unit maths.

Physics will cover the stuff you did in year 12 but in greater depth, and with a more mathematical approach, plus a few extra topics. Higher physics is like standard physics but harder (duh).

Your mechanics classes might be harder than maths and physics, cos they're more about applying the principles you learn in the lectures.

deadnature

HSC
Thanks am actually doing the bridging course at UNSW for math 3u(all looks pretty straight forward) - what happens if you fail at like physics i.e. like you get 45 or sumthin in a test? Does that mean your well and trully screwed?

Last edited:

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
deadnature said:
Thanks am actually doing the bridging course at UNSW for math 3u(all looks pretty straight forward) - what happens if you fail at like physics i.e. like you get 45 or sumthin in a test? Does that mean your well and trully screwed?

Nah, first year physics have a funny system.

You do the mid-session test.
Then at the end of session, you can choose to do it again after the final exam, exactly the same paper i think.

Assuming you can get a pass for your lab mark and 80% + when you repeat the mid-session, you're guaranteed a pass

Maths have six little tests (they take your best five marks), plus a big final test and a computer test.

If you turn up to classes, it'll be hard to fail physics. You might find maths a bit harder having not done much of it in the hsc. damn calculus.

deadnature

HSC
Is there much difference between higher physics and physics (1st year)?

shannonm

HSC
N/A
nah, you go to the same lectures and are taught the same stuff

2 years back the mid session of phys and high phys 1a shared 4 of the 6 questions

the repeat exam isnt exactly the same but should repeat at least 2 or so questions form the first one

your given alot of chances in first year phys so its not like they want you to fail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)