1st Year University Mathematics Thread (1 Viewer)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
IF x is an integer, then it can be odd or even

Suppose x is odd, then there exists an integer M such that x = 2M + 1

Suppose x is even, then there exists an integer M such that x = 2M

So

ONLY IF, not sure atm, thinking about the contrapositive

I have this:

Let x be p/q such that p and q are integers and q is not 0 or 1

LHS = x = p/q

RHS = floor(x/2) + ceil(x/2)
= floor(p/2q) + ceil(p/2q)
yeah this was on of the questions in the discrete final, did exactly like you so far but cant get the opposite way

seanieg89

HSC
RHS is defined to be integer lol.
So what? The claim is not that the RHS function outputs an integer iff x is an integer, the claim is that the RHS expression is EQUAL to x iff x is an integer.

We write x/2=m+d with m an integer and 0 =< d < 1.

If d=0, then RHS=m+m=2m=x=LHS.

If d is nonzero, then RHS-LHS=(2m+1)-(2m+2d).

Which is zero iff d=1/2.

This means that the identity in the question is true iff x/2 is a half-integer, that is iff x is an integer.

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
Alternatively, a simpler way to do it would be to use complex numbers.

Consider the case where z = 0. Then, it boils down to the vectors formed by z = 1/5(4 + 3i)exp(i pi/4), w = 1/5(4 + 3i)exp(-i pi/4)

So we get our two solutions,

Alternatively alternatively, rotate the vector using a rotation matrix.

Last edited:

emilios

HSC
hey y'all. how would you say 1st year maths stacks up against HSC 4U? harder? about the same? more crammed syllabus?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
solve or find the ananytic solution of
Ok I gave this a crack but nah got nowhere. Non-linear, non-separable ODE's is something I've never encountered before. Tried substitutions, not exact, not separable, integrating factor does not work. Can anyone give me a tip on what can be done for this (do keep in mind I'm only in first year so I have never touched an ODE like this before)?

hey y'all. how would you say 1st year maths stacks up against HSC 4U? harder? about the same? more crammed syllabus?
Make a thread on this if you feel necessary.

The workload is a bit more in my opinion. However, the maths requires a lot more rigourous and well defined rules and definitions. There is quite a degree of abstraction to it as well.

You'll be fine though. I found first year maths more interesting than what we learnt in high school.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Ok I gave this a crack but nah got nowhere. Non-linear, non-separable ODE's is something I've never encountered before. Tried substitutions, not exact, not separable, integrating factor does not work. Can anyone give me a tip on what can be done for this (do keep in mind I'm only in first year so I have never touched an ODE like this before)?
Dividing both sides by 'y', we can use some kind of substitution (involving that fact that y'/y = d(lny)/dy) to reduce the LHS into something easier (I guess it might a substitution involving logs)

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Dividing both sides by 'y', we can use some kind of substitution (involving that fact that y'/y = d(lny)/dy) to reduce the LHS into something easier (I guess it might a substitution involving logs)
I'll try it again now.

EDIT: Got this now:

Keep going around in circles getting more and more ODE's which I can't solve with these substitutions :haha:

Updating my substitutions so far lol:

u = ln y
u = 1/y
sqrt(u) = y
u = dy/dx
y = du/dx

Every single time I just get something that can't be solved using first year methods using these substitutions. I guess someone else can confirm if any of these substitutions work or not as I may have made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
With that DE, I don't think a substitution is necessary, and that the solution can be implicit.

A tip, assuming I did it correctly, is just aim to solve the DE, don't solely rely on methods you learnt in uni.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)