2 questions on titration (1 Viewer)

some_girl

HSC
I don't know how to answer these two questions:

- Explain the chemistry involved in finding the concetration of ammonia
- What is one procedure that can replace titration?

Hope you can help and thanks!

jamesy_1988

HSC
One method of finding the concenration of ammonia if it is in solution is to tritate it with a standardised acid solution, e.g. oxalic acid. This is because a solution of ammonia is basic because it produces ammonium hydroxide, and therefore hydroxide ions.

NH3 + H2O >>> NH4OH >>>>> NH4+ + OH-

Then it is possible to calculate the concentration of the ammonia solution, using the tritation calculations beacuse you are just performing a tritation.

If the ammonia is free, then I'm not sure, maybe electronic sensors.

Procedures that could replace tritation may be calculating the density, because the density of the solution would change as more of the solute is added. But this method would likely be very inaccurate. Other than that, I'm not to sure.

Hope that this helps,

Jamesy

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
methods other than titration for this PARTICULAR titration: if u know the degree of ionisation of ammonia, or pKa or pKb, u can find out it's pH then works back wards to find the concentration of ammonia...

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Thats really stuff that should of been found in a textbook or class notes.

Its through molarity and the amount of moles of base (ammonia) and the moles of acid that will react with eachother for a complete reaction (neutral pH).

Mege

We're doing the same sorta thing and we produced a primary standard(Na2CO3) made a secondary standard from it(HCl) and used the secondary standard to titrate the amonia. I used the eqn to work # moles and used pretty much general titration eqn's to get answer.
I dunno how u'd do it without titrating but if anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated :)

some_girl

HSC
Thanks for the info!!
Well the 2 questions were questions we had to answer and put into our background information. For the actual practical, we have to titrate HCl with a household cleaner (ie. cloudy ammonia?) I think.... forgot the name of the base, buts its ammonia
I found information from textbooks, but not enough info. to actually "answer" the questions.

So another procedure that will replace titration is to first find the pH level of the solution, then find the concentration. So we can use the universal indicator or pH meter?? soorrrry!! just very confusing?!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
it is recommended do not use universal indicator, as the colour change maybe very confusin... pH meter u can... in fact in 1st yr chem, there's an expmt were titration is conducted usin a pH probe...

some_girl

HSC
is titration and volumetric analysis the same thing?
if not, could someone explain to me what the difference is, coz i think its the same?!

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Some girl (that's funny to say :p), volumetric analysis and titration are not the samething. Rather, titration is a type of volumetric analysis.

Generally volumetric analysis is defined as a type of quantative analysis by measuring volumes. You can also do it with gases as well as liquids.

Hope that helps ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)