2 Questions Titration and Esters (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
ive got 2 problems if someone could please help me

1) for titrations, when you get the 3 values, should u average them or use the lowest value. my teacher is really really old and she goes dat you just take the lowest value, but from what i hear you have to take the average...

2) could someone help me with this dot point for Esters
"Describe uses of Esters as flavours an perfumes in processed foods and cosmetics"

ssglain

HSC
1) I think this will be taught in various ways by different teachers. In my chemistry class we have to do 3+ titrations so that we produce at least 2 consistent values. Our teachers says if you get 2 equal values then you use this value; if all 3 values are different but are within +-0.1 of each other, you take the average of the three; if you had to do more than 3 and produce 2 values that are within +-0.1 then you ignore the others and average the two.

2) Read a textbook and/or study guide.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
generally what ssglian was saying... except one thing: the three results, should have a max difference of 0.1 mL, instead of +- 0.1mL...

because titration is really a very quantitative test... a small error in measure can screw up all the calculations...

Alfred_rulz

Very Important Person
HSC
The process of esterification requires very precise and pedantic measurements, what this requires is the minimal deficiencies in your result, just taking the lowest value of the three results would not be recommended, I doubt that any chemistry teacher would have said something like that. If you have three results you would nomally average them but not always. When you end up with two similar results and one result far off, you only average the two close ones. Some teachers ask you to not include the result of your first titration so only average the second and third. NEVER just take the lowest number!

Second part of your answer is quite self-explanatory if you are a girl with lots of interest in cosmetics and nurition. (just joking...)(It wasn't meant to be funny).

Esters are widely used as fragrances in the cosmetics industry and as flavouring agents in the food industry. The natural flavours of foods are usually a complex mixture of several esters. However, chemists can identify the main esters in these natural flavours and manufacture them in the laboratory. The natural perfumes produced by many flowers are also esters. Again chemists can manufacture these esters in the laboratory to mimic these natural odours.

Ethyl acetate (ethanoate) is widely used as a solvent in industry. It is also
the common solvent in nail polish remover. It is manufactured on a large
scale from acetic acid and ethanol, using in principle the same process as is used in the laboratory. High molecular weight (i.e. non-volatile) esters such as dialkyl phthalates are used as plasticisers in some plastics such asPVC: they make the materials soft and pliable.

The flavourings in your lollies are from:
Orange flavour: Octyl ethanoate
Raspberry flavour: butyl ethanoate
Grape flavour: ethyl methanoate

Hey hope this help you ...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Alfred_rulz said:
The process of esterification requires very precise and pedantic measurements, what this requires is the minimal deficiencies in your result, just taking the lowest value of the three results would not be recommended, I doubt that any chemistry teacher would have said something like that. If you have three results you would nomally average them but not always. When you end up with two similar results and one result far off, you only average the two close ones. Some teachers ask you to not include the result of your first titration so only average the second and third. NEVER just take the lowest number!

Second part of your answer is quite self-explanatory if you are a girl with lots of interest in cosmetics and nurition. (just joking...)(It wasn't meant to be funny).

Esters are widely used as fragrances in the cosmetics industry and as flavouring agents in the food industry. The natural flavours of foods are usually a complex mixture of several esters. However, chemists can identify the main esters in these natural flavours and manufacture them in the laboratory. The natural perfumes produced by many flowers are also esters. Again chemists can manufacture these esters in the laboratory to mimic these natural odours.

scale from acetic acid and ethanol, using in principle the same process as is used in the laboratory. High molecular weight (i.e. non-volatile) esters such as dialkyl phthalates are used as plasticisers in some plastics such asPVC: they make the materials soft and pliable.

Esters make great solvents [e.g Nail Polish - Ethyl Acetate (or Ethyl Ethanoate)] also because they dissolve polar and non-polar substances.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Alfred_rulz said:

OMG thanx lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)