2002 catholic trial need help (1 Viewer)

!Melody~

HSC
hey, i can't seem to figure out how to answer question 26 (b) from the 2002 catholic paper

Improving Performance
26 (b)
The majority of research indicates that, ingeneral, stretching is benficial in improving performance, increasing flexibility and reducing injury risk. Analyse the circumstances where stretching is not recommended and discuss the problems associated with two 'contraindicated' stretches. (12 marks)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
whoa this is a hard question. i assume what they mean by is balistic and pnf stretching. this is not reccomended for begginer athletes as injury can easily occur.

i think this is it im not 100% sure though.

!Melody~

HSC
yeah it's really difficult, need help haha, stressed over that question =(

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
just wondering, do you copy and paste that from your own notes, or do you type that up all the time?

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
oh ok.. cos i was thinking if you typed them up everytime.. then you would have no life, but i must say u do a good job as moderator.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
no its not my life, hehe just look how many posts you have compared to me...:p

oh and yeah i try to beat u to every new post.. hehe j/j

Last edited:

!Melody~

HSC
thanks Without Wings and mr_speedy, i really appreciate your help! thanks again guys!

!Melody~

HSC
hey guys, that information helps with the second part of the question but it doesn't give ayt information about
"Analyse the circumstances where stretching is not recommended"
i can't think oif when stretching is NOT recommended, and keep in mind the fact that it's an improving performance questions not a sports medicine question so rehab doesn't come into it does it? cause i'm really confused with that part of the question, you need stretching in almost anywhere dont you? i can't think of any acticity where you do not need to stretch.

can you help me out guys?

TheKing

there are two threads regarding the same question....

Last edited:

Cab31

HSC
you could also talk about the fact that stretching when you arent warmed up is not recommended because it leads to an increased risk in muscular tears. we had a similar question in our trial exam this year. except i dont think it was worth as much

kattie

Hey. I am new to this forums and especially posting replies but i thought maybe i could help !Melody~. If i replied wrong to this let me know cause i have no idea what i am doing with computers. Well mr_speedy is right in stating ballistic stretching is not recommended for the beginner athlete. This is due to the increased rate of injury that can result with the bouncing of the stretching movement. Ballistic stretching I assume you know is when the stretch is bounced or pushed beyond normal range of motion. It stimulates stimulates the reflex action in the muscle causing contraction and this can damage muscle fibres. The beginner athlete would have less muscle strength and therefore this exercise could be very harmful to them.
Um... I think that it is okay for a beginner athlete to perfrom PNF stretches. I am pretty sure that they are the best kind but you might want to check this. Another time when they shouldn't is when their is previous injury so a ballistic stretch will not help them. PNF is used for rehabilitation in this stage. Check all of this cause i don't want to lead you on the wrong check.
Hope it could help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)