2003 HSC Question 2 (d) (1 Viewer)

Neborg67

HSC
This question doesn't seem like it's in english! I might have a shot at the answer if I understand the question.

The question is:

By applying de Moivre's theorem and by also expanding (cos(theta) + i sin(theta))^5, express cos(5theta) as a polynomial in cos(theta).

I have no idea what they want you to do... please help.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
For this one you express (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> in two ways and then you equate real parts. I'll show you what I mean:

Using de moivre's (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> = cos5&theta; + isin5&theta;

Using binomial expansion (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> becomes:

cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; + 5isin&theta;cos<sup>4</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta; - 10isin<sup>3</sup>&theta;cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; + 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta; + isin<sup>5</sup>&theta;

= cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta;+ 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta; + i(5sin&theta;cos<sup>4</sup>&theta;- 10sin<sup>3</sup>&theta;cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; + sin<sup>5</sup>&theta; )

You know that these two expressions are equivalent so you can equate the real parts of each side so that:

cos5&theta; = cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta;+ 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta;

You can then use the identity sin<sup>2</sup>&theta; = 1 - cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; to put it all in terms of cos.

Edit: I forgot all the binomial coefficients :p. Sorry.

Last edited:

Neborg67

HSC
Thats a bit rough putting binomial expansion in complex numbers. Wouldn't have thought of that. (I get what they mean by " as a polynomial in cos theta now"). Well... i guess if i couldn't remember binomial expansion I could do it the long way lol.

(Thanks for your help again!!!)

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
KFunk said:
For this one you express (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> in two ways and then you equate real parts. I'll show you what I mean:

Using de moivre's (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> = cos5&theta; + isin5&theta;

Using binomial expansion (cos&theta; + isin&theta; )<sup>5</sup> becomes:

cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; + 5isin&theta;cos<sup>4</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta; - 10isin<sup>3</sup>&theta;cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; + 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta; + isin<sup>5</sup>&theta;

= cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta;+ 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta; + i(5sin&theta;cos<sup>4</sup>&theta;- 10sin<sup>3</sup>&theta;cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; + sin<sup>5</sup>&theta; )

You know that these two expressions are equivalent so you can equate the real parts of each side so that:

cos5&theta; = cos<sup>5</sup>&theta; - 10sin<sup>2</sup>&theta;cos<sup>3</sup>&theta;+ 5sin<sup>4</sup>&theta;cos&theta;

You can then use the identity sin<sup>2</sup>&theta; = 1 - cos<sup>2</sup>&theta; to put it all in terms of cos.

Edit: I forgot all the binomial coefficients :p. Sorry.
These questions are highly likely to occur, but not likely to be a 5th degree. Probably 3rd or 4th.

Neborg67

HSC
acmilan said:
Isnt this a standard 4 unit question? :S
I'm not sure. First time i've seen it. I should probably check some more past HSC papers.

Neborg67

HSC
justchillin said:
Please tell me ur just starting 4 unit this term...otherwise i'd do a crap load of revision if i were u :)
umm.... no actually. I'm doing the HSC this year.

justchillin

HSC
Please tell me ur just starting 4 unit this term...otherwise i'd do a crap load of revision if i were u :)

HSC
Maybe the wording confused him, although I really don't think it's that obscure.
hehe or maybe the wording's confused us, no-one's actually asked if Neborg's doing 4unit maths for his hsc :p

Last edited:

Neborg67

HSC
yes yrtherenonames, I am doing 4 unit this year. And Yes, the wording confused me. (and yes, I know i should be up to scratch on complex numbers by now)

Antwan23q

God
HSC
justchillin said:
damn man, u always give everyone attitude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)