2004 CSSA Trials Q18 (1 Viewer)

JBakaka

HSC
So im assuming that Observer A is in a non-inertial frame (although its possible that the train is moving at a constant velocity ie. inertial frame, probably irrelevant because the train is moving at relativistic speeds) and Observer B is in an inertial frame.

According to that, observer B sees the lightning hit at the same time and Observer A sees the front lightning strike hit first because the train is moving towards the front one (at very high speeds). Also, with the length contraction and the lightning not hitting the train, i think that the length contraction is observed, not actual, as in Observer B thinks that the train has contracted, but it actually hasnt. I would say you can always safely assume that the lightning actually hits the front and back

just my $0.02

jeremyandrews

HSC
Cobra said:
yeh, thats what i thought, because in HSC questions, i wouldn't ever expect them to ask a question where both observer a and b would see it at the same time..

i reckon yeh, if its worth more than 1-2 marks they couldnt possibly ask for answer that they see it at the same time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)