2004 Graduate Statistics (Starting Salaries) Out! (1 Viewer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
vet = $38,500. hmmm. well, once i pay off my $40,000+ hecs debt then i shall at least be above minimum wage. You know though, an animal attendant with no experience working full time gets $35,000+ per year.....

Oh well, in reality i'll probably do my back in and end up in a desk job anyway. Hurrah for the government (and their generous pay packages)

Astounds me that 11% of vet students go on to further study.... i couldnt face it, i'm sick of it already and i'm not even halfway through!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If I entered my degree for the money I'd have done software engineering rather than compsci/maths. I purposely chose my degree for further study, as do many BSc students.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
yeah, because surely people can't really enjoy com subjects?
no... but it's common perception that comm students are more easily employed and have a higher salary...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
stazi said:
just like the common inference that most science students only do science because they are unable to communicate with others in a business setting. i think it's pretty crap.

Why are people so touchy? everyone knows the generalisations about every degree... eg. the arts "do you want fries with that" etc.

Seriously ppl, loosen up, sometimes people do this thing called "making a joke", and usually other people "laugh" in response, or, if the joke is in poor taste, they simply ignore it. (or they sit back, content in the knowlege that they earn double what the joker earns, or that they have a nicer gf / bf or that the joker is a tool) If they didnt, there would be many more pub brawls, and coffee shop brawls, and internet forum brawls that do nothing but get people fired up and waste time.

But hey, if you want to start another "dont bag out my degree" whinge session because you have nothing else to do, be my guest! I shall start....

Law students all wear glasses
Science students are all nerds
Arts students are all lazy
Ag students are all bludgers
Pharmacy students are all asian
Med students are all rich
IT students all have hunchbacks
Vet students are all smelly
Educations students all want to be doing something else

have i missed anything?.. let me know....

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I thought Arts students were all rich, ditzy, hot girls who can't get into anything else?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Haha check out some of the BSc graduate jobs:
BAR TENDER LEWIS HOTELS PTY
BAR ATTENDANT CASTLE HILL TAVERN
BAR ATTENDANT BLUE GUM HOTEL
BAR PERSON CUNCURRY BOWLING CLU
CARPARK ATTENDANT MIRVAC
CASHIER WOOLWORTHS LTD
CHECKOUT OPERATOR WOOLWORTHS
LABOURER KERRY COCHRANE
etc

I'd say this'd be why 30% of people won't pay off their HECS before they die.
I think those would be people working part time while completing further study as indicated. So they will probably have Honours or something :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Xayma said:
I think those would be people working part time while completing further study as indicated. So they will probably have Honours or something :p
I don't think that it takes into account jobs of people doing further study

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Mambomeg said:
Why are people so touchy? everyone knows the generalisations about every degree... eg. the arts "do you want fries with that" etc.

Seriously ppl, loosen up, sometimes people do this thing called "making a joke", and usually other people "laugh" in response, or, if the joke is in poor taste, they simply ignore it. (or they sit back, content in the knowlege that they earn double what the joker earns, or that they have a nicer gf / bf or that the joker is a tool) If they didnt, there would be many more pub brawls, and coffee shop brawls, and internet forum brawls that do nothing but get people fired up and waste time.

But hey, if you want to start another "dont bag out my degree" whinge session because you have nothing else to do, be my guest! I shall start....

Law students all wear glasses
Science students are all nerds
Arts students are all lazy
Ag students are all bludgers
Pharmacy students are all asian
Med students are all rich
IT students all have hunchbacks
Vet students are all smelly
Educations students all want to be doing something else

have i missed anything?.. let me know....
You missed engineering, social work, social science, international studies, liberal studies, economics and commerce students

gerhard

HSC
stazi said:
just like the common inference that most science students only do science because they are unable to communicate with others in a business setting. i think it's pretty crap.
ive actually never heard that

jellybeenz

HSC
Hmm... nor have I...

Eh as an Arts student I am very familiar with the amusing generalisations about my degree.... but I really don't care coz some are very true (in regard to me anyway).

I found the starting salary for Arts interesting though, also rather interesting how high it was for Liberal Studies because people were telling me that with Liberal Studies its too general to get a job out of...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I don't think that it takes into account jobs of people doing further study
No it does.

Please note: ‘Unavailable for work’ includes, but is not limited to, students pursuing further
education that are not working. If students work part or full time while engaging in further
study they are classified as ‘Working part time’ or ‘Working full time’ as applicable.

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

HSC
sikeveo said:
Maybe. I was thinking about Grad Med and Dentistry.
I do bsc and I can't see myself just completing my 3 year degree and leaving uni. I know I won't be fulfilled. I want to research more aspects of science and expand my understanding of it. I'm thinking of doing perhaps, post grad medicine or a phD or a masters in business... still deciding. But I know honours is definately on the agenda. Hmm...I guess I won't leave uni til i'm in my mid twenties :p. Money is not a big issue for me... as long as I will be able to afford a nice spacious apartment in an alrite neighbourhood then i'll be happy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
Money is not a big issue for me... as long as I will be able to afford a nice spacious apartment in an alrite neighbourhood then i'll be happy.
How hypocritical. You need money to afford a spacious apartment in an alright neighbourhood. Unless you leave sydney

doe

HSC
N/A
i did a bsc and my salary on graduation was 6 figures :p

Last edited:

jokay22

HSC
N/A
doe said:
i did a bsc and my salary on graduation was 6 figures :p
interesting. where?

Maximus said:
Does anyone know where to find similar data for UNSW?
yeah, does anyone know? just curious. ppl says that companies esp. big 4 tends to recruit UNSW's commerce graduates than USYD's.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nosadness said:
not to sound stupid, but where do you look it up?
an exact site is appreciated.
the site that i gave everyone in the first post on this thread.
yes, you do sound stupid :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
stazi said:
You missed engineering, social work, social science, international studies, liberal studies, economics and commerce students
Yes but you have not provided generalisations for these....
engo = drunkards
commerce = money motivated

and i havent heard generalisations for the rest really....

Lazy = lying on lawn in sun
Bludgers = hung over in bed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)