N/A
Why it's harder to make uni grade.

By Daniel Landon, Education Reporter
519 words
6 January 2004
Canberra Times
English
(c) 2004 The Canberra Times

Entry to local universities has become tougher in 2004 with cut-off scores to rise and many University of Canberra courses to require a "considerably" higher score. Nursing at UC will require a Universities Admissions Index score of 90 or more, up from 76 last year, and the cut-off for primary teaching would also rise significantly, Vice-Chancellor Professor Roger Dean said yesterday. UC's minimum cut-off score will rise to 75, up from 73. Scores for all courses will not be known until later this week. The Australian National University's minimum score, for courses such as arts, commerce, economics and science, would rise to 80, Vice-Chancellor Professor Ian Chubb said. Cut-offs for other ANU courses might rise, but only by two to three points. Law will stay at 95. Last year's minimum was 70, for Asian studies. For arts, commerce, economics and science the cut-off was 76.

Universities will not finalise exact enrolment figures for this year until after the main round of offers of 2004 university places on January 19. However, Professor Dean predicted that UC would make about 5 per cent more offers to school leavers than it did in 2003. Professor Chubb said the ANU would make about the same number of offers as last year. In 2003, UC and ANU offered about 3000 and 2000 places respectively. They offered 1183 and 1738 places, respectively, to school leavers. Professor Dean said the substantial increase in applications from school leavers and mature age students was "very pleasing". However, the increase in demand was difficult to manage because the Federal Government wanted to decrease the number of places it funded at the university. Cut-offs could have been raised even higher - as a means of reducing student numbers - if it were not for UC's aim to ensure as many students as possible from the ACT and south-east NSW could attend the university. "That demonstrates, I think, our commitment to the region we serve," Professor Dean said. The increased demand at UC was the result of people wanting to secure a university place before higher education reforms came into effect in 2005. "It also demonstrates that UC's reputation as a university providing high quality courses with a practical, 'real world' focus, particularly in the professions, is being widely accepted within our community," he said. Nursing, education, communication and sports studies were particularly popular, but demand was strong "across the board". At the ANU, the number of applications by school leavers fell for 2004, after a 25 per cent rise for 2003. However, Professor Chubb said that it was difficult to draw useful conclusions from the decrease - and that there had been an increase in applicants who had a UAI above 80. "We're interested in the number applying with high UAI scores," he said. "It's not a bad position for us to be in ... we're fairly pleased that there's a robust demand for entry into Australia's best [university]." (Endstory) (Story #975755).

Document CANBTZ0020040105e0160001i

More Like This

Dingo

Banned
ANU isnt the best uni in australia.
bullshit
if it was, then all cut offs will b 95+
not 80+

Peace^^

Kittycat

HSC
This is because it used to only offer postgraduate studies. No uni has all cut offs be 95 +, not even USyd, or UNSW or Uni of Melbourne.

Dingo

Banned
thats because they are not the best uni, and ANU is also not the best uni as it claims itself to be

peace^^

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo
ANU isnt the best uni in australia.
bullshit
if it was, then all cut offs will b 95+
not 80+

Peace^^
nah, they have lower cut off cos they dun get the demand as much as UNSW or SYD, and thats mainly due to the location

the demand of canberra compare to sydney is a big difference...

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by Dingo
thats because they are not the best uni, and ANU is also not the best uni as it claims itself to be
Okay, which uni is the best? I bet even the best Uni could not have had all cut offs of 95+

Originally posted by ...
nah, they have lower cut off cos they dun get the demand as much as UNSW or SYD, and thats mainly due to the location

the demand of canberra compare to sydney is a big difference...
I have to agree with you. Sydney is more densely populated therefore more competition

Dingo

Banned
hence uws is even better than anu and canberra aye

well for the business courses n e wayz..

peace^^

Dingo

Banned
uws cut offs for business are higher than anu or uc, meaning its got more demand.

peace^^

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
For a start. stop fkn writing peace, you sound simple.

ANU is Australia's best university in terms of research, individual student attention, reputation in the international community and teaching staff. Cutoff's DO NOT indicate how 'good' a university is, it purely indicates demand. Cutoffs at ANU and UC are lower because of their location, less people live in those areas and less people from Sydney are prepared to move to Canberra to do their studies. It has nothing to do with the quality of the uni. I really don't see how you can sit there and try and have us believe that UWS is better than either of Canberra's universities.
ANU was established by legislation many years ago. It is a part of Australia. No one overseas has ever heard of UWS whereas the name 'ANU' is recognised worldwide, therefore better employment opportunities because of its rep as Australia's 'national' university. Hmm, Western Sydney or Australian National......let me see :rolleyes:

Dingo

Banned
Originally posted by Ms 12
Hmm, Western Sydney or Australian National......let me see :rolleyes:
if i was employing some one in sydney id choose western sydney.

if i was to employ someone outside of sydney, i would look at their marks and see who achieved higher marks. and that person would get the job regardless of what uni they went to.

peace^^

Kittycat

HSC
I totally agree with Ms 12 (I mean about ANU)
I am not sure how good Canberra Uni is but I know ANU is good.

Last edited:

Kittycat

HSC
Yes, Of course UC ROCKS! It is a way cool uni. Really, I mean it. (I am not being sarcastic here).

Chris462

ugh, sydney is such a horrible place anyway, theres no way im spending 4 years of my life in there... canberra is so clean and perfect...

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by googy_1985
So kittycat,

U still planning to come to UC? What course r u going 2 do?
well, UC is certainly in my preferences (though not the first due to me being in Sydney & all...by the way, HEY! sydney is such a horrible place Chris462...well, it may not be the best place in the world but it aren't that bad) I have put in primary teaching & art. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)