2005 CSSA English Advanced Trial (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sphyx said:
Yeh, I typed out my half-yearly AoS essay in preparation for the trial, esp since it got full marks and thats how long it was.

The only way to get 18-20 or 14-15 is to write quality in enough quantity. For me, 7 pages normal paper, is about 1600 words, and what I keep in mind all the time is the question, I dont actually memorise, simply because my memory is not good enough for that, and I know that if I do, I will not satisfy the question well, especially a curly one like the King Lear.

And plus, I really enjoy thinking on the spot, and another reason why I write so fast is that I literally think PARAGRAPHS ahead, remembering that integration is one of the requirements, thus I think ahead of any possible links I can make.

So, Ancient on Tuesday will be fun. :rolleyes:
Of course you wouldn't memorise a response word-for-word, but memeorising quotes and structure and possibly when you might use particular quotes is handy. In spite of what the question is, your thesis and your argument is likely to remain constant since you're simply relating your thesis (and thus your response) to the question.

And your point about quality/quantity is a good one...it is necessary to write a certain amount in order to construct a plausible thesis, but beyond that "critical mass", further words may not get you much further.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Of course you wouldn't memorise a response word-for-word, but memeorising quotes and structure and possibly when you might use particular quotes is handy. In spite of what the question is, your thesis and your argument is likely to remain constant since you're simply relating your thesis (and thus your response) to the question.

And your point about quality/quantity is a good one...it is necessary to write a certain amount in order to construct a plausible thesis, but beyond that "critical mass", further words may not get you much further.
i remembered two of my advanced essays word for word and adapted them to the question and was even able to add more that came to my head when doing it
ill let u know how i go. This is for BNW/BR and Frontline btw
my King Lear i made up in there but was pretty shocking...i put too much of my interpretation into it and coming to think about it now, its gonna sound really bad
But with KL you cant really prepare a response. The questions for CSSA are too specific.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
goan_crazy said:
i remembered two of my advanced essays word for word and adapted them to the question and was even able to add more that came to my head when doing it
ill let u know how i go. This is for BNW/BR and Frontline btw
my King Lear i made up in there but was pretty shocking...i put too much of my interpretation into it and coming to think about it now, its gonna sound really bad
But with KL you cant really prepare a response. The questions for CSSA are too specific.
For BNW/BR, I knew the structure and the places I was most likely to use certain quotes. The beauty of BR, and any film for that matter, is that you can just visualise a scene in your head and churn out techniques in the exam. I had to do that for Powerplay, coz I only prepared one scene well for my response...I expected them to ask for two piece of related material.

In past I've memorised responses word-for-word for Journeys, but that was only because the teachers gave us the question prior to the actual exam...a luxury I don't have in the HSC exam :p

goan_crazy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For BNW/BR, I knew the structure and the places I was most likely to use certain quotes. The beauty of BR, and any film for that matter, is that you can just visualise a scene in your head and churn out techniques in the exam. I had to do that for Powerplay, coz I only prepared one scene well for my response...I expected them to ask for two piece of related material.

In past I've memorised responses word-for-word for Journeys, but that was only because the teachers gave us the question prior to the actual exam...a luxury I don't have in the HSC exam :p
memorising responses helps
I've got that advice from past HSCers
Well heres some examples
I remembered a BNW/BR essay for an inclass... (well most of it anyway) and got 18/20
also a Frontline one and got 20/20 for an inclass
All you need to do is manipulate your response to adapt it to the question ;)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
goan_crazy said:
memorising responses helps
I've got that advice from past HSCers
Well heres some examples
I remembered a BNW/BR essay for an inclass... (well most of it anyway) and got 18/20
also a Frontline one and got 20/20 for an inclass
All you need to do is manipulate your response to adapt it to the question ;)
True.

On a slightly different note...the CSSA had better not implement a state-wide re-sitting of the English Papers - if they do, then Cheltenham Girls deserves to be destroyed (no offence to any students of CGHS who may be roaming on BoS)

goan_crazy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
True.

On a slightly different note...the CSSA had better not implement a state-wide re-sitting of the English Papers - if they do, then Cheltenham Girls deserves to be destroyed (no offence to any students of CGHS who may be roaming on BoS)
I heard about that.
Today Mount St Benedict got notified they will have to resit the English exam
Stupid Cheltenham!
Y couldn't the damn school just stick to the CSSA timetable
:chainsaw:

laurel18

Keep smiling Ü
HSC
Do all schools have to resit the paper or is it just a number? Because I've heard nothing from my school...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
laurel18 said:
Do all schools have to resit the paper or is it just a number? Because I've heard nothing from my school...
Well, unless the CSSA imposes a "blanket" over every school that uses their paper then I guess it's up to the discrepancy of the individual school to decide.

scoby_2000

HSC
its going around at my school that we may have to sit the exam again

i highly doubt that our hod of english will give a damn........

goan_crazy

HSC
I say, to make it fair, don't get everyone to re-sit it, just give all girls at cheltenham 0 and kill the girl who leaked it out :uhhuh:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I don't know what my school is going to do. Seeing as they already changed the Module B question, I don't think we will sit it again. But then again I havn't been to school since the modules exam so who knows what will happen.

goan_crazy

HSC
Sweets said:
I don't know what my school is going to do. Seeing as they already changed the Module B question, I don't think we will sit it again. But then again I havn't been to school since the modules exam so who knows what will happen.
same...our school changed module B too...
newspaper@http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=22146 said:
Students to re-sit exam after bungle
08:35 AEST Mon Aug 8 2005
AAP

HSC students across Sydney will have to re-sit a statewide English exam after it was released early to one school.

Cheltenham Girls High School in Sydney's north, sat the test one week before the HSC trial exams began last Monday.

Fears are now held that the questions were circulated to students at other schools, allowing them to cheat, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Several schools have since opted to re-sit the exam, including Carlingford Boys High, Normanhurst Boys, North Sydney Boys and Marsden High School at West Ryde.

The trial exams are worth between 20-40 per cent of a student's school-based assessment, which goes towards their final HSC mark.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
ummm

this has most likely been posted already....

but just in case

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=22146

from that it looks almost certain EVERYONE will have to resit :(
Again I would say it's up to the discretion of your own school to decide, since the fact that the papers leaked out really only undermines the integrity of internal assessment rankings. The fact that guys at NSBHS, for instance, knew the paper before other schools won't really effect final HSC results for the rest of the students in the state. Had the HSC papers been leaked, that would be an entirely different story.

Simpson Freak

HSC
yeh i think our school may have changed the questions, especially the KING LEAR QUESTION, it was so weird, who gives a damn about edmund.

wat are the OFFICIAL CSSA questions for
emma/clueless
king lear
frontline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)