2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

MW4H_X0X0

HSC
Help Me!!

im really stuck on what to do for my research assessment or whatever u call it!!! im really interested in 2 particular topics

terrorism and looking at it from another angle different to the western view
OR
anastasia romanov:dead or alive and look at whether she did die that night, or did she survive???

i also was sorta interested in a kinda contreversial topic lol.. the stolen generation:a white perspective??? like look at it from the white view/angle??

any1 got any ideas.....guides..or totally different topics??

X

xeuyrawp

MW4H_X0X0 said:
im really stuck on what to do for my research assessment or whatever u call it!!! im really interested in 2 particular topics

terrorism and looking at it from another angle different to the western view
OR
anastasia romanov:dead or alive and look at whether she did die that night, or did she survive???

i also was sorta interested in a kinda contreversial topic lol.. the stolen generation:a white perspective??? like look at it from the white view/angle??

any1 got any ideas.....guides..or totally different topics??
Yikes, you haven't decided on a topic yet?

1. Terrorism, could be interesting, but I'm sure it would be lame if you didn't do it well...
2. Anastasia, you could find a billion Ext History essays on it, let alone books in professional libraries, it's one of those controversial issues that keep spiralling around, with all the evidence already looked at..
3. White perspective of stolen generation, that'd be cool. I like it :) When's it due though...?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
I've finished and handed in my research project! :D Getting it back in 3-4 weeks.

X

xeuyrawp

Airness said:
I've finished and handed in my research project! :D Getting it back in 3-4 weeks.
Cool. How do you think it went?
Would it be possible to have a read of it, I'd love to have a look. Anything non-ancient history, but history related, is always welcoming during the procrastination period of uni assesments.

hottie_mira

am doin my proposal now, so havin a quick squiz on here to see wat otha ppl have done so i can get a good format for mine.. my teacha is extremely hard to please so im hopin i can win her over with an excellent proposal.. 500 words is too much i reckon.. but anyway.. must go and make a start i gess!!

Alimoe_KG

HSC
mira2005 said:
am doin my proposal now, so havin a quick squiz on here to see wat otha ppl have done so i can get a good format for mine.. my teacha is extremely hard to please so im hopin i can win her over with an excellent proposal.. 500 words is too much i reckon.. but anyway.. must go and make a start i gess!!
Woah, you guys started your MW's late. Won't it conflict with your trials and stuff? =/
ANd pwyeurxpwya bleh Your name is too tongue-twising :p
If you want to have a look, pm me or something =)

X

xeuyrawp

Airness said:
Woah, you guys started your MW's late. Won't it conflict with your trials and stuff? =/
ANd pwyeurxpwya bleh Your name is too tongue-twising :p
If you want to have a look, pm me or something =)
Just out of practicality, and out of procrastinating from my DT MW, I finished most of my 4U english, and my Ext History in the Christmas holidays. School was much easier because of it.

dozza144

HSC
Hey, im doing a major work on Napoleon (i do ancient so i was allowed to do it). I am doing it as in the topic of "how have different people portrayed napoleon". i dont have a clue where to start... any help?

X

xeuyrawp

dozza144 said:
Hey, im doing a major work on Napoleon (i do ancient so i was allowed to do it). I am doing it as in the topic of "how have different people portrayed napoleon". i dont have a clue where to start... any help?
The best way to form a topic question is by doing heaps of research, then seeing what's debated a lot.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
PwarYuex said:
The best way to form a topic question is by doing heaps of research, then seeing what's debated a lot.
I agree utterly and completely. Before you form your topic, decide which area you're interested in, that is, military history, social history, political history etc. Then the country or event you're interested in. If you don't know, surf around the net. Once you've kind of got one or two options in hand, go through those topics, and try to find certain aspects of them that have generated the most historical debate. DO NOT do something that a) doesn't have many diverse and conflicting viewpoints, b) cannot be easily discussed, i.e. you are able to say that one viewpoint is more correct then the other.

ice_lord

Medical Student
HSC
"The Denial of History: Irving and Windschuttle"

Comparing David Irving (the chief denier of the holocaust) and Keith Windschuttle (the chief denier of genocide in Australia... but we all know that).

I haven't really started yet, but have a stack on windschuttle

X

xeuyrawp

ice_lord said:
"The Denial of History: Irving and Windschuttle"

Comparing David Irving (the chief denier of the holocaust) and Keith Windschuttle (the chief denier of genocide in Australia... but we all know that).

I haven't really started yet, but have a stack on windschuttle
Remember one important thing in this area. A big thing that Irving's on about is semantics: a summary that he is a Holocaust denier isn't really true.

But yes, your idea is cool- taking someone who's pretty well-known and contraversial (and also a frequent topic for the Ext Hist essay) and someone who's less well known globally, but equally contraversial (yet not a frequent topic for the essay). I like :)

X

xeuyrawp

kpris said:
I'm very indecisive and so i'm still not too sure on what i should do. Our proposals due next week but is only one mark (either we hand it in and get the mark or we don't). It's more for ourselves, to get us started and stuff...
Look in the thread ancient_nut started.

So the idea that i'm most leaning toward is "was Cleopatra as beautiful as they say she was?"
That's interesting, you found a photograph of her!

but then i'm worried that it might be too ... what's the word... common? I heard someone did that exact same topic last year (not sure which school... heard from one of my friends) which really threw me off...
Yes, Cleopatra-related works are very common: Was she pretty, interpretations, femenist undertones. It's all been done.

What do you think? should i stick with the cleopatra idea?
I doubt you could do any worse, so no, I wouldn't stick with it.

Amoii

HSC
ext. project

Hey i'v done my proposal, handed it in on Friday (thank god), i'm not sure how i went, i got a few people and teachers to read through it though and they said it sounded tops.

I just read through this, geez, and you brought some really intresting topics to my attention, Stalingrand is one that i would have looked to do.

However, I'm doing the Berlin Wall.

Crazy i know. I chose it by my teacher going "amy what are you doing?" Me glancing around the room "ummm the Berlin Wall?"

Anyway, i am very intrested in the domocracy vs. commmunism thing, i did chile throughout year 11, which was fun, complicated but fun.

Now i have my teeth suck into the Berlin Wall, but am stuck for a question, my proposal was very broad, and no dobt i will be marked down for that but i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for questions.

I am more intrested in the effects the wall had on the people of Germany and the building of the wall, rather than the dismantling of the wall.

Any help would be awesome.

cla

HSC
Extension Ideas

i am so confused as to an extension topic, so far i've come up with a few ideas:
1. Breaker Morant and the whole controversy behind that.
2. Whether Shakespeare really wrote his works, or whether he was publishing them on behalf of someone else.
3. Gordon's murder at Khartoum

i have no idea.
i read that you shouldnt do something thats controversial or that people who dont study history have opinions about, so im not really sure whether either of these are appropriate.

HELP

X

xeuyrawp

cla said:
i am so confused as to an extension topic, so far i've come up with a few ideas:
1. Breaker Morant and the whole controversy behind that.
2. Whether Shakespeare really wrote his works, or whether he was publishing them on behalf of someone else.
3. Gordon's murder at Khartoum

i have no idea.
i read that you shouldnt do something thats controversial or that people who dont study history have opinions about, so im not really sure whether either of these are appropriate.

HELP
1 and 3 sound great. I think 1 would be slightly harder to research than 3, but that being said, both have a lot of merit. :)

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I'm doing a critique of postmodernist historiography. Most people around here seem to be concentrating on a topic in a specific time, so I hope what I'm doing is allowed and everything. I haven't found anything to the contrary.

Does anyone know if what I'm doing is commonplace?

m1234

HSC
i was thinking about doing a similar essay to this (Richard III).
What relevant resources have you found (books)?

fifteenstep

HSC
I'm doing the Shakespeare Debate and looking at who has been accused of being Shakespeare. Thoughts?

KEVINQUACH

HSC
Im doing the myth of Ho Chi Minh, something along the lines of a revisionist or post-revisionist & attacking his traditionalist western and Vietnamese view of a hero, saint of the people, great leader etc etc.

but i need help for his biography, where can i get really good notes on ho chi minh for their modern history course?? and its ok my teachers already approved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)