2005 History Extension Major Project Topics (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
2005 major work

question for class of '05. what is everyone doing for their major work? i'm very undecided. maybe hopefully, after you all say what, i might be able to make up my mind.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i suggest u do something that explores how the mechanics of history operate

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
gordo said:
i suggest u do something that explores how the mechanics of history operate
i partially know what you are on about. but do you realise what you want to do as the year follows on?

BabyKat

Katti_Love
HSC
i have absolutely no idea. . .
i was tinken mayb nationalism vs. terrorism, who does Northern Ireland really belong to?

but i reali duno, ne1 got ne ideas dey would like to share. . stuck :(

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
"i suggest u do something that explores how the mechanics of history operate"
you'll get bogged down in philosophy. you'll need to be eased into something like that. this question would be great with some more focus.

"nationalism vs. terrorism, who does Northern Ireland really belong to?"
no. that addresses a VERY VERY subjective concept. while i realise that ext hist is about looking at subjectivity, bias, context and so on, you would be better served to look at an event such as "Bloody Sunday: What actually happened?" that's an ext history question.

astro

HSC
haven't formulated a question yet....but the areas i'm thinking about include (in no particular order):
- Berlin Wall
- Whitlam Dismissal
- Cuban Missile Crisis

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
you're pushing it with both the Berlin wall and the CMC. they're covered to some extent with JFK. i spose you could get away with the berlin wall.
consult with your teacher and see if he/she finds your question acceptable.

Acid

HSC
Pay me $100 and i'll give you my project that scored 24/25 :)

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
I'm thinking of doing something in regards to America supplying Saddam Hussein with weapons in the 80s. I don't know what.
or paying Acid $100 for his project. :p

veridis

droog
HSC
i'm still undecided but have narrowed it down a bit

The misrepresentation of the importance of the longbow in the battle of Agincourt
or
The changing views on the Winter and Continuation wars

best advice i got from people was to do something you're interested in. when trying to think of a history topici was having a hard time but when just looking at stuff i liked heaps of topics just apeared that i never would have thought were hist ext topics

Last edited:

littlewing

la belle etoile
HSC
im also incredibly undecided
and my schools being a bitch and not even letting us start classes until next week cause they're still deciding whether to have 1 or 2 ext classes (there are about 25 of us)
but since im doing 3u french i want to try and do something incorporating my love of france and the french... any ideas anyone??

im doing 4u english 3u french 3u history (modern) and 2u music. im crazy, right??

iloveyouandyou

HSC
i'm not quite sure of my topic question but i want to do something on King Henry the 8th.

Gloriarel

HSC
im russian so im tossing up between doing either the fall of the communist USSR, or the fall of the Romanov dynasty, and focus on Rasputin as a controversial personality. i would prefer to do the former, because i think that there is too much myth surrounding Rasputin, but im doubting the USSR because its such a broad topic. my teacher thinks it would also be an interesting idea if i included and refered to some russian sources, but the last thing i want is to get bogged down in translation, and also worrying about the ethical considerations. however, i want the project to be unique if nothing else.
as a second option im thinking of doing the Cuban Revolution, but i realise that might encroach on the JFK case-study.
i havent thought about the specific questions though.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Gloriarel.
Romanov, you say? How about the night they were supposed to have died? The one night that all the controversy about survivors spawns from. Survivors V No Survivors and then Survivor Anastasia V Survivor 'one of the boys'. Plenty of controversy there. My teacher used it as an example of how to get the marks :p hehe.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
hey people, what do you think are the most common subject used in the major work?

foxster

HSC
2005 Proj.

Hey,
SInce i do ancient, i was thinking along the lines of ancient greece/rome/ or maybe even aztec/mayan civilations

i think ive gone about it in the wrong way, ive thought of a case study, just have to connect something to it!!

Anyone have any ideas?

I also do french 2u, so maybe something connected with that? maybe-perspectives on all the battles france ever won!! :p

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
foxster:
doing french opens doors for you.
you should, perhaps, do something which allows you to utilise sources in french and in english. you could do something like Charles De Gaulle's ascent to power. then critisise your work for the errors made in translation.

that is, of course, just an example. think along those lines

lesmiester_dj:
firstly, thanks for the rep.
secondly, there is not a 'most common' major work. that's like asking what the most commonly researched event in history is.
asking that violates a historian's integrity. "everyone writes about that, so i wont".
history is an art form, it is not a science.

if someone has invented something, you cannot reinvent it. you can only add to it.
if a historian describes something, you can describe it to.

free your mind of any outside influences but keep in mind your audience (the teacher) and whilst doing so do not make any concessions for him. i chucked a major work on philosophy backed up by history at mine, rather than the traditional research backed up by philosphy.
he's obliged to understand ;)

give it ya best man, any attempt to tackle a historiographical issue is not only fun, its rewarding and it shows a level of maturity that many subjects dont.

good luck.

dragons_girl

HSC
i was thinking of doing somthing on the celts or boduicca's resistance to romans
any ideas on where i could go with this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)