• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2005 HSC Art Major works (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Mine was a fairly experimental 'new' thing. According to my teacher mine was actually being used as a marking guide for band 6 media works (but who knows, he was a pot smoking art teacher after all), and still no acceptance... :(

Apparently they pick to a theme or something like that, but usally their themes are a bit dodgy.

low quality... but blah
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1879/majorwork7qn.jpg

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
All I can say is, holy shit. I'm worried why it wasn't selected too. It's brilliant. I would love for those two A1 works to be permanently exhibited in my house.

How much did it cost you to print all this?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ClickMedia ( http://clickmedia.com.au/ ) are great, didn't cost too much all up (in comparison with others), i think it was approaching the $250 mark, for printing + mounting. I made a few stuff ups, but for my first copies I just went down to ummm officeworks, and they print off a3 for like $1.50 (or something close to that, it was loose change).

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
And what did you use to produce these works? Those two A1 pieces look like they've come from a 3D imaging program, like Maya or something. Where as the rest look like very well done Photoshop pieces.

How close am I? :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
cinema 4d, 3d studio max and photoshop :p
They all had photoshop stuff done to them, but the larger ones were mainly just the 3d models with some colours, basic effects.

nwatts

HSC
Very nice.

Well congrats on the very fine work. It's almost criminal they weren't exhibited in Art Express, as they top the vast majority of work that I saw at ArtNSW and the National Library (or whatever it's called).

penciltron

HSC
hey not bright just wondering wat did u get as ur final mark for art? must have been pretty high
bah art express, im sure there are heaps of good, skilled works, that dont get in for some silly reason

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
nwatts said:
A "good diary" will show your development as an artist throughout your HSC year.

It does not matter how many ideas you had, or whether those ideas were carried through to your major work. It's to show a process and development of ideas.

As lislabella mentioned, it's only ever going to be an issue if you get over 43 (or whatever the Art Express cutoff is) or if markers believe you've plagiarised. Ask your teacher whether or not she thinks you have a chance for art express. If so, put some effort into padding out your diary. Or if your work is built around appropriation i'd probably make sure it'd well doumented, just in case.

Personally, I don't think I have much of a chance, so my diary is pretty patchy. I've got it about 4/5s full of random stuff and ideas, and the rest with my idea that went through to my final pieces. I'll probably put some more stuff in the diary in spare art classes between now and the end of school, as our teacher usually likes to make an exhibition of hsc works for students, which includes diaries.

Probably wasn't because of your diary. I know of a few people who were in the selection pool for art express but were turned away. And I know one of them had the greatest diaries i'd ever seen. About four A3 diaries FULL of brilliant works and progress.

From what various art teachers tell me, the selectors look for experimental/newish works. Mind you, i'm not sure how valid their comments have been. Considering when I went to artexpress last year I saw a lot of crap, that lacked innovation and originality.
art express has no cutoff... people with the best marks dont ness. get into it. curators or reps from cofa, nas, agnsw etc have a looksee at all the works and pic the ones they like. they aren't all band six fantastic works, but you would assume that the curators would naturally pick the better works anyway.

nwatts

HSC
lislabella said:
art express has no cutoff... people with the best marks dont ness. get into it. curators or reps from cofa, nas, agnsw etc have a looksee at all the works and pic the ones they like. they aren't all band six fantastic works, but you would assume that the curators would naturally pick the better works anyway.
I'm quite sure there is. I'll double check on Monday morning, but all that I've been told (from about five or six different art teachers) is that all who get over a certain mark (that I think is 43) go into a selection pool for art express.

I have also whipped off an email to the artexpress coordinator, asking as to whether or not Board of Studies marks impact on whether or not a particular body of work is considered for selection.

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
yea they get into the selection pool, but it's not like the curators even take mark into account, it's a different set of people.
No, I didn't think so.

But I was quite sure that the pool itself was sorted by BOS markers.

Gummy_bear

HSC
im pretty sure that the bos markers put in a form when they think they've marked a work that deserves to be on artexpress. just like with drama, if the examiners mark a work that they think deserves to be in onstage, even if it didnt get 30 out of 30, they fill in a form and send it off then the onstage ppl ask the performers to perform for them.

i think it would be fundumentally the same for artexpress, dont you?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
nah... the way it works is, people who get a mark over like 43-45/50 for their artwork and above, get layed out for the different curators to see. The ones they like are the ones that are picked, the markers dun have any say in that department.

If you don't get above 43-45 they won't show it to the curators, which are generally representatives from like the art gallery or whatever.

Gummy_bear

HSC
ah, i see. i guess that does make more sense. i mean, in drama a lot more factors contribute to the mark, i mean coz its a 'live' performance. i just figured it would be kinda the same. but that makes much more sense.

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
well i knew the bos markers didnt choose what went in... wrong with everything else :p
everything is due tomorrow and i am SO over art. All the works at mys chool are amazing... i really don't want to display mine int he exhibition. oh well at least it is over.

nwatts

HSC
Yep. Finished last Friday. :p

I spent all last night printing off a friend's major too, and he's in a massive panic. So you're not alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)