2005 Section 3 (1 Viewer)

Squall_Ivan

HSC
was it an essay question? were we meant to use a bit of first person because the question said "you"?

Zali

HSC
i hated it cos it was so broad which meant i could talk about so much which meant i got side tracked.
I dont no if u have to but i used some 1st person

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I always talked about the audience "learning about themselves and others" and towards the end I started talking about me specifically.

Squall_Ivan

HSC
Ah ok. I hope i won't get marked down for using first person. Thanks for the replies

Santah

HSC
Dumsum said:
I always talked about the audience "learning about themselves and others" and towards the end I started talking about me specifically.
same, only switched to first person for my conclusion

Valeroso

HSC
I never spoke about me. I figured, maybe I could cover it up in the essay when I say "Thus, it is evident that this journey resulted in a broadening understanding of the mind.." etc, because I've always been taught not to use 1st person in an essay. :\ Damn, we need some clarification!

Last edited:

ss1

HSC
N/A
that stumped me aswell... but i went ahead and used first person anyway for a sum up of each paragraph.. how it affected my understanding etc.. very worried about it

positive

HSC
chamelia said:
umm...how many marks would you lose for not using any related texts in the essay?
Are you serious? You'd lose a fair bit I think...

Anyway I talked about how journeys extend OUR, individuals and the world blah blah stuff. Never used I or me

elisabeth

HSC
I'm so confused about that question. I was told as a general rule, if they mention 'you' in the question, you can sprinkle stuff in the first person all the way through, which I never do, but I did today. But I get the feeling that was wrong :/ I'm not entirely sure I answered the question either. And damn, I was only halfway through my conclusion when she said it 'pens down'! Fuck, fuck, fuck. Section 2 was great, section 1 was just OK.

bubu

its an essay i was told never use "i"

i jus took care of that in the beginning by arguing that their experiences and journey of themselves and the world let us reveal our perception of ourselves and the world,

then went on to say how their world is reflected in the texts and jus mentioned it at the end of each paragraph.

wat the u didnt u use another supp.

that would be marked down significantly cause they would say u avoided the question and stuff

but if u did a very detailed analysis of the other texts then u could possibly get an

okay mark. i went into full detail in my presc. text and BOS stimuli but had about

10 mins to whip up somethin about my other text. it was very brief, its too late

now but u could have jus written one line on some made up material, it would

have got u some marks

chamelia

HSC
dz said:
wat the u didnt u use another supp.

that would be marked down significantly cause they would say u avoided the question and stuff
but if u did a very detailed analysis of the other texts then u could possibly get an
okay mark. i went into full detail in my presc. text and BOS stimuli but had about
10 mins to whip up somethin about my other text. it was very brief, its too late
now but u could have jus written one line on some made up material, it would
have got u some marks
Well I didnt forget to do a related text but a friend of mine did..and they didnt realise, they had mis read the question and assumed it didnt say to write aobut a related text . Then only realised their mistake once they'd gotten home and re read the paper.

bonniejjj

HSC
It was just easier in this instance to talk in third person for most of it, referring to "us" and "our," but in my conclusion I wrote in first person, explicitly relating it to myself. I think that was a good approach to take. I pretty much just wrote out my prepared essay, there were already a lot of links to "attaining a greater understanding of self, and th human condition," "universal themes," so I just made the link to the question a little more explicit, using the terms they used a few times. I used the idea of composers taking us into worlds of "inspiration, speculation, and imagination" to structure my argument, worked quite well and made for a good synthesised response.

niteshade1312

HSC
I didnt mention "i" until my conclusion, and I think you would loose a bit if you didnt have related texts. Especially because it said AT LEAST ONE.. which generally means more than one..

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
technically it wasn't an essay.... it was a response..... and they asked ur opinion... so they were expecting u to say...
"i" or "i belive" or "during my search for the meaning of the journey i have found"........... an essay is something where u discuss a question and they dont ask ur opinion....

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
chamelia said:
umm...how many marks would you lose for not using any related texts in the essay?

The related text is just as, if not more, important the prescribed texts. So I think there might be a penalty of a few marks there.

serge

HSC
bernz said:
*ding!* Absotively posilutely one hundred percent bang on the mark. They expect you to use references to yourself and your own personal understanding; they asked for it.
they obviously see that you wrote it... your number was all over it

they dont need to know that "I think journeys are good"

we've been told since like yr 8 in essays never use 'I'

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
nick1048 said:
it was a personal response. It was asking for YOUR knowledge expansion as part of the study so "I" or "me" is totally acceptable.
*ding!* Absotively posilutely one hundred percent bang on the mark. They expect you to use references to yourself and your own personal understanding; they asked for it.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I used 1 related text fully and mentioned a second one for good measure :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)