• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2006 math school certificate/help (1 Viewer)

Riot09

HSC
same story,iv seen the standard package/working out and solutions for the question im having trouble with but their are a "few" mc choice and non-cal questions that i cant do or figure out..so if you have the time please include working out and a explanation for the following qustions,thank you.

www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/

(2006)

q.18 (pattern question)

q.19

q.48

q.50

q.51

q.58

q.62

q.63

q.64

q.66

q.69

q.70

q.71

q.72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79

Thank you

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
q.18 (pattern question)
notice that the last numeral in each one is 5. for 5^3 it is 125.
for 5^4 it is 625. Hence we can conclude that for every 5 to the power of an odd number, the last three digits will be 125. For every 5 to the power of an even number, the last three digits will be 625
hence the last three digits of 5^15 will be 125

q.48
Let karishma's age be k.

k + 2 = 3(t + 2)
k + 2 = 3t + 6
k = 3t + 4

Q51
Crai - x
Phil - x
terry -x
Dick - 50%
x = other players = (100 - 50)/3 then divide by 100 = 50/3 divide by 100 = 1/6

Q62
a = 110 degrees
notice that a lies on co interior angle with another angle. that angle is equal to 70 due to the fact that it is alternate to 130 degrees. Then by co interior angles are supplementary, 70 + a = 180. a = 110

Q64
3^ 0 = 1
(1/3)^2 = 1/9
3^0 - 3(1/3)^2 = 1 - 3(1/9)
= 1 - 1/3 = 2/3

Q69
the mean = (143x1) + (148 x 2) + (153x1) + (158 x 6) + (163 x 11) + (168 x9) divide by total runners
= 161.5

Q71
angle ACD= angle ADC = DAC = 60 degrees
angle BDC + angle ADC = 180 (straight angle)
angle BDC = 120 degrees
angle BCD = 30
angle ACB = 30 + 60 = 90

Explanation: since the one triangle is double the other, the two triangles ACD and BDC must be equal in size (congruent). Yet angle ADC = 60 and angle BDC = 120. Since the areas are the same, it can be inferred that side BD = CD. This is because sine is positive in the second quadrant. so therefore, angle BCD = angle DBC (angles opposite equal sides)

Its late now. I'll do the rest later on :D

notice how I skipped every second question, lol.

I'm surprised at how challenging this stuff looks at from now. I blame it on 3 unit maths :(

FTW

HSC
q.18 (pattern question) 125, on every odd power the number ends in 125 and on every even power the number ends in 625. 15 is odd, so the answer is 125

q.19 20, find the HCF (highest common factor of both) which is 4, then divide into both numbers, 20/4 = 5 and 16/4=4. 5x4=20.

q.48 D (i think idk, i dont really understand the question)

q.50 100% - (121.9-4)/121.9 (the price of discounted petrol over the original price) = 100% - 96.7% = 3.3% (B)

q.51 Dick has 50% chance and the other 3 have 50% chance for it to be one of them. (1/2)/3 = 1/6 (D)

q.58 (A) the answer is 1 becase the relative frequency is a percentage chance of the event occuring as opposed to other events. Relative frequency is usually stated as a decimal eg 0.35 so the relative frequency of all of them is 1 (the event is certain to happen)

q.62 (C) uh this is gonna be hard coz there are no pronumerals, anway use a mixture of supplementary angles (straight lines add up to 180) and cointerior angles, to find a. 130 degree angle and the alternate angle to that is also equal to 130 and the angle cointerior to a is 130-60=70 so a is 180-70(cointerior)
q.63 C 125% = 40cm 40/5 & 125/5 = 8cm equals 25% 25%x4 = 100% 8cm x 4 = 32cm

q.64 3^0 = 1 (anything to the power of 0 is 1) so 1-(3x(1/3)^2)= 1-(3x(1/9)= 1-(1/3) = 2/3 answer: D

q.66 12x16/2/10 = 9.6 (find the area ofa rhombus (1/2)ab (ab being the diagonals) then divide by 10 to get the perpendicular hieght (B)

q.69 Eh I dont have a calculator with me so I'll just explain the theory. Multiply the class centre by the number of runners in each column and add together. Then divide by the sum of runners to get the mean

q.70 (B) OB calculate the are of the shape the find the interval that will have an equal area for both

Uh, I'm so tired right now sorry, I'm sure someone else will do them. Hope I helped

FTW

HSC
Damn it ninetypercent!!!! GAH! I did all that for nothing..... (you made me feel so useless):cry:

But nice answers

Riot09

HSC
alright thanks guys,its not a race you know but im sort of glad that your'e so eager to help.

Riot09

HSC
thanx gus if youre in the mood in still need help in a few more questions.

q.63,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Damn it ninetypercent!!!! GAH! I did all that for nothing..... (you made me feel so useless):cry:

But nice answers
haha you did some that I didn't do, so you're not useless :D

we're eager to help coz we know that you'd do the same for us :p

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
q.63,72,73
I'm doing up to 73.

63. Overestimated by 25%
therefore, a x 125% = 40
a = 32 cm.

72. 4. coz u can put C above A, below A, above B and below B

73. area of big semicircle at the bottom: 4 x pi x 0.5
area of semicircles at the top = pi x 2
total = pi x 2 + 2 x pi + 6 = 2pi + 2pi + 6
= 4pi + 6 (A)

supre

HSC
76. a,b and c are correct
and d is incorrect
because...
d=2.83
78. raelene earns= $600pw =$2400 per month
naomi=$550pw=$2200 per month
danny = more than naomi and less than raelene
therefore any thing more than $2200 and less than $2400 could be danny's possible earnings per month
so a and b are correct and c and d is incorrect

Last edited:

Riot09

HSC
alright thnx. have any of you heard the midnight club la theme song called digital realism it starts of with strings and then transitions to techno its sort of like the presets meet volta-9.

Riot09

HSC
well yeagh but right now i really wouldnt call what im doing "studying" im just trying to get through the math sc past papers and question from my sc maths textbook so when ill "study" for the maths sc ill have somthing to revise. and im not really "picky with my music when actually pro-actively paticipating in someting or an activity (such as right now,working out,drwaing etc) i just put it in shuffle and let it play,most if the times the song is something in the mood for but when love song by sara bareilles comes up or something real heavy like nickelback or depressing like linkin park that would be the only exceptions to this rule.

so to your'e initial question i only really "listen" to music while studying/revising math really- i just find it intolerable but for other subjects they are so easy for me to revise for proberly because i know how to, the only hard part is actually doing it.I listen to my ipod also i leave it shuffle and then if i get picky i might change it.

But music i liten to while studying i try to start off with the piano versions of songs by paramore(the mozrt effect) and then followed by the killers,kings of leon and etc.lupe fiasco and coldplay are also on my list at the moment and one hit wonders like pony and seether by veruca salt.

Riot09

HSC
yeagh my trails went generally well the maths i went alright the thing was our teacher gaves us what i call know "dot points" which before translated to me as chapter reviews so i reviewed them and i paid careful attention to and spent attention to recent topics such as further trig but the actual test contained only 2 trig questions and 10 question involving algebraic fraction which i didnt revise for,however i revised for topics such as simultaneous equations and sketching crap so i went alright on that part.

science went alright the icarus story frankly led to know where and i quote "could this story really happen and why?" but questions like the one where you had to discus a thoery that changed over time was right up my alley i wrote on the ptolemy geo-centric model of the solar system so i proberly went alright on that part stuff i missed out or winged-it was the fractional crystallisation part we really have a crap science teacher so she was like before the test google fracrtional whatever and read about it and then blabbed on about solubility if she said that this was like a key part of the test i would have written a whole book about it but she just casually mentioned it so for that lecture as i usually do i just day-dreamed and thought about what i would when i got home that day any way i missed that but properbely salvaged whatever marks i could and a questin about what symbol is this formula for which i dindnt rote learn so i took a stab at it and after the test i looked at my handbook and it was wrong but realy close it was something sulfate.

history was a breeze really i didnt summarise i just read through my sheets 2 days befor the exam and the day before the exam and just had it on lockdown.the only part i remember getting wrong was that wome got the right to vote in western australia first beforee any other state,not tasmania.

geo-didnt study didnt care frankly i forgot what was in that test or what i got.

english-just winged it and ripped of a short story from intreatment.

electives poberly came 1st in art and pass i dont know about elective history i have another writer/reader/crap at math student in our class so its always been a rivalry between me and him when it came to writtin,were great freinds though we joke about it all the time he himself said "he cant believes his not left handed himself" so that summed it up between me and him.

i didnt do the p.d.h.p.e or the computers test because i was insanely sick that weeek and the weekend before on friday that week i felt sick the next moring i vomited and got a head ach and intense neck pain and was bedridden for saturady and barely made it out on sunday i lost 5 kg that week because i didnt eat anything and only drank tea (no sugar ofcourse) and sucked on strepsils all day and during the trials.

which proberly explains why i winged english didnt study for geography and missed out some topic in the maths test.It was kind of funny when i came that day the first one of my friends said was you need to go home,he proberly saw it in my eyes or stance demeanor or something.The only consolation for me was proberly the electives after a felt better i bacame used to eating less and couldnt wait to begin working out again so as a consequence iv found a few hacks and im in the best shape in my life so its a sort of a mixed blessing,somethings were just not meant to be i guess.And what youre take on maroon 5?.

Another problem was proberly that i was so eager to be going to year 1o that i reckon i peaked to early and burned out when it got cold and just wasnt in the mood to study because i felt so sleeply after came back home from school.so yeagh its a sort of rise and fall and rise i guess but maybe abit too late.anyway i guess i gotta pace myself i always tend to over do something in a short period of time if i get the chance and end up injuring or hurting myself some how just recently i did like 200 situps and around 100 crunches and proberly 120 sit-ups without holding the handle on the ab-king pro at max which is proberly like a 120 degree angle and as a result yesterday,today and definately tomorrow i wont be able to train because my stomach and neck is so sore and as a result im proberly becoming to skinny as i wait it to recover...its just the way im wired i guess..genetic-determinism is such a b***h

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
wow 5 kg. maybe u should take a rest from all the studying.

seems like you studied yet you don't seem satisfied with the way u went in your trials. are you gonna give it your best shot in the SC? Don't stress out about it - your health is important. you're doing well in your school now, so u'll definitely do well in senior years.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
wow 5 kg. maybe u should take a rest from all the studying.

seems like you studied yet you don't seem satisfied with the way u went in your trials. are you gonna give it your best shot in the SC? Don't stress out about it - your health is important. you're doing well in your school now, so u'll definitely do well in senior years.

Riot09

HSC
yeagh its proberly a ego thing,but its so annoying when the only thing youre report says is " he could do better with more revision".Insecurties are proberly what motivates me the most i guess.anyway thanks for the support i guess.its just like a nagging thing in my head when someone criticises me for something after i they something nice for example last year i had an excursion and anyway 3ranks below priciple or the advisor for years 7-9 did this.We were just walking to the imax and this was year 9 and at a ped crossing we were waiting i was just standing there it was a sunny day and i could see from the corner of my eye (as im very spatially aware) i saw her sizing or "evaluating me" proberly based on my appearence and acedemic performence at that time i came 2 in history,english,pass,art and elective history and went alright in sciecnce and geo but barely passed the maths couse and she said and after a few moments and i quote "you need to get your'e marks up abit" and its just moments like those that are just b.s like iv practically walked on water last year i used to do like 500 push-ups every second day,did like a 500 sit-ups and crunches and ran like an hour on the treadmill at different setting every second days,i was getting like so many strange stuff happening to me during that "phase" like a guy in the library was like you wanna fight and then said just joking and getting satire from my freinds as to how i have"superpowers" i stii do get
a bit this year but the whether is so depressing im just not in the mood to perform such "high charity"and i got my maths nagging about the sc every once in awhile.any way ill proberly do well in my senior years but at the same time ill proberly be always be expecting more from my self at practically everything i do.Also another thing is that youv'e seen my drawing right,well i draw with everything i got like i use up all my oxygen and my "art teacher's and friends are like you need to go to the next level" which to me means that im basically not good enough,well i cant blame my art teacher for saying it butt really its like iv got the external world wanting something then my world asking for something aswell and its just a juggling act between what i sacrifice my efforts and energy into doing and if please one side the other side just naggs or complains and top of that its like thers a switch or button i can press to tutrn it one side off or get rid of one.i guess transformers was right no sacrifice no victory but at what cost.

Riot09

HSC
man this is much better than therapy,it feels sort of good to have this of my chest.

HSC
N/A
hey guys,

just felt that i needed to post some maths questions here because they are in the 2006 sc maths as well - here we go then

question 75 - It says Peter built a maze. He threw a ball into the top of a maze. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/sc2004/pdf_doc/mathematics_sctest_04.pdf (diagram is shown in pdf). The answer is C but I dunno why...

also there was a question but im not sure what year sc it came from which had a rectangular prism with 3 lengths (dont remember) and they showed 4 different cubes with different side lengths (3 different ones) - they asked you which cube would be able to fit into the rectangular prism side by side - how would you do this???

ty in advance,
lookoutastroboy

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
question 75 - It says Peter built a maze. He threw a ball into the top of a maze. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au..._sctest_04.pdf (diagram is shown in pdf). The answer is C but I dunno why...

consider the different intervals of which the ball can fall. in the first, it can fall 2 ways, in the 2nd, 2 ways, and in the 3rd, 6 ways. hence the answer is C.

also there was a question but im not sure what year sc it came from which had a rectangular prism with 3 lengths (dont remember) and they showed 4 different cubes with different side lengths (3 different ones) - they asked you which cube would be able to fit into the rectangular prism side by side - how would you do this???

consider the different side lengths, and use ratios to see which one would fit. u may have to turn the cubes around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)