2006 Units (1 Viewer)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
You can pick your units, but I don't think you can enrol till Jan 9th.

HSC
N/A
Phanatic - where can we get the 2006 handbook from? I'm able to work it out on the computer, but a hardcopy would be tres less stressful for someone like me!

HSC
N/A
Semester 1

ARTS210 - Arts Practicum I
BBA250 - Human Resource Management
ENGL218 - Creative Writing I
SOC289 - The Sociology of Media

Semester 2:

ARTS200 - Art, Individuality and Money (run in tandem with soc231 or something)
CUL202 - Writing I: Profession, Industry, Art
CUL207 - Graffiti, Kitsch and Trash: Crimes of Style (it's the lesser of two less-than-appealling soc units avaliable in second semester)
^all worth 4cp each

Tabris: Do MKTG101! Do MKTG101! It's interesting, relatively easy, and fun!

Last edited:

prusso

HSC
1st
Comp125
Mktg101
Acst101

2nd
bba111
math135
accg105

fkn 2yrs to finish 100level :mad:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
handbook - you get it from the student enquiry service, lincoln building

Phanatic

HSC
Yeah, but it costs you $10. Any specific questions I can answer?

HSC
N/A
No, but thank you for the offer anyway :) I just felt that having a handbook was easier to flip back and forth through - plus it's solid, so you don't have to sit there thinking "omg! does this work?!?!"

But all is good now. Next year shouldn't be too bad... and my semester two is only eight hours spread over 2 days a week!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
psy222 (damn the impossibility of choosing stat270 as an alternative!)
busl250
bba207
Acst101 (silly me for failing this)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
first semester @ carleton uni im doing:

BUSI 3102 - Human Resource Management (replaces BBA250)
BUSI 3105 - Managing Groups (elective)
SOCO 3030 - Studies in Work, Industry & Occupation (replaces SOC290)
PSYC 2100 - Social Psychology (replaces PSY234)
PSYC 2600 - Personality (replaces PSY234)

im not sure if ill drop BUSI 3105

second semester back at MQ

BBA217
BUSL250
HRM201
SOC234

not sure if ill do SOC234, atm im doing it because it gives me 3 days off a week

X

xeuyrawp

bearpooh said:
So you have dropped out of Law ? That is a shame. You sounded really keen on becoming a barrister in your posts after you did a week with a QC.

However, I guess that was to be expected. Mac Uni have a very high drop out rate for Law, in part because of their strange subject structure. I believe that if they had interesting introductory law subjects ( eg: Criminal law, Torts ) in the first semester and deferred Jurisprudence to the third year, they would have a far lower drop out rate. Instead they try to push legal philosophy into minds that are unprepared for it and then wonder why so many of their best students leave law.
It's not really a shame, I'm one of those people that can't do things half-assed, and I feel that if I wanted to do law, I could only do it exclusively without being interrupted by history.

I also feel that I'd prefer a profession in history at the uni, and doing law would be only taken after I'd found that academia wasn't for me. :)

I thought that the structure would be good; legal theory before legal practice and such? You're experienced, though, so you'd probably know.

My plan is finishing honours, tutoring, an MA or PhD, and starting up a unit in Late Egypt. If that doesn't work, I'm going for grad law at Sydney. :)

Also, why would Macquarie's drop-out rate have anything to do with me? I haven't tried law yet, and the subjects don't matter... Or were you just taking the opportunity to bag the place out?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
So you have dropped out of Law ? That is a shame. You were really keen on becoming a barrister after you did a week with a QC.

However, I guess that was to be expected. Mac Uni have a very high drop out rate for Law, in part because of their strange subject structure. I believe that if they had interesting introductory law subjects ( eg: Criminal law, Torts ) in the first semester and deferred Jurisprudence to the third year, they would have a far lower drop out rate.

Instead they try to push legal philosophy into minds that are unprepared for it and then wonder why so many of their best students leave law.
I think the way the lawschool looks at it is if a student does 3 subjects before jurisprudence, that's 3 subjects they undertook without really learning anything. Once cannot understand the law if they don't have the philosophical underpinnings to critically question the law, the "why's" and "why nots".

They deliberately put juris first to sort the boys from the men (so to speak), and hopefully scare off the students who picked law cos their mummy and daddy thought it'd be a good idea. A case of good riddance, though they'd never admit this.

Drop out rates are greater at the end of first year or the middle of second year (after actually encountering the black letter stuff).

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
guys i need a little help
i was looking at the subjects i could fit in my 2006 sem 2.
it was listed i could choose to do bba350 OR bba301
i looked at the information of both the subs in my handbook and its pretty much identical
their even both named strategic management I
however bba350 is 3cp whereas bba301 is 4cp?
does anyone know anything about either of these?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
^^
It might be worth e-mailing the unit convenors, they are usually very helpful

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
First Sem
Accg 200, 251
Econ 200
Mktg 101

Second Sem
Accg 201, 253
Acst 201
Busl250

===
Does this combinations sound ok???

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Grr, fucking gotta delay my units until i get academic advice cause ive done 68 units already, seriously wtf, sif restrict auto entry :(

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
AsyLum said:
Grr, fucking gotta delay my units until i get academic advice cause ive done 68 units already, seriously wtf, sif restrict auto entry :(
How many cps u need?

PS: BOS updated their forum service?! looks kool^^ :p

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've done in excess of the minimum 68 CP that are needed for my degree, due to me having transferred from the first year BA.

Now e-student won't allow me to choose electives freely without me having to request it be allowed from them, since ive gone past this 68 CP limit. (said its a policy of theirs)

Which is pissing me off, cos now im waiting on a few emails asking whether i should request these electives or not, so right now im a part-time student (forced) because all ive enrolled in are the cores :(

Tabris

HSC
If i get into the law quota:

LAW104
ECON200
ECON2xx
ECON2xx
LAW114
ECON201
ECON2xx
ECON2xx

The only compulsery units are LAW104 114 and ECON200 and ECON201, for this year

The 4 ECON 2xx electives are filling the gap where 2nd year law students would do LAW 203, 204, 205, 206

Looks like i will take 5 and a half years and around 120 CP.... no way i am doing 16cp: 4 x 4CP law units in 4th and 5th...

Just asking, is it qutie unusual for a combined law to take 5 and a half years?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)