• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2006 Unsw Co-ops (1 Viewer)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
hey guys,

im doing the co-op too, mine is with the faculty of commerce but it is a Science Degree. So i'll post anyways.

I'm doing BIT.

You get around $512 a fortnight, and you get bonus payments in the last year since they are about 2months late in the first year. This does not include Mining, they get aorund $300 (or something) $8000 a year.. but they get paid during their Industrial Training...

We have to keep a credit average (or so our agreement says, dont think it is that strict), the worse thing about it is that you cannot use this money to put towards your earnings to declare yourself independant for youth allownece.

btw, when is this dodgy camp?

u can add me on msn if u like, durry_power@hotmail.com

milkyways

HSC
haboozin said:
the worse thing about it is that you cannot use this money to put towards your earnings to declare yourself independant for youth allownece.
Is that suppose to be a bad thing? Doesn't it just mean that it doesn't affect your youth allowance entitlement since you are not independent yet?

Has anyone ever been kicked out of Co-op due to getting something below a credit average or not passing a subject?

I would like to know when the camp is too, should be fun!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes they're strict about the credit average rule. The coop office keeps tabs on your results. And yeh people have been kicked out of coop because of results.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll start researching this stuff more in depth sooner to the time when I have cash to save =]

milkyways

HSC
How hard is it to get a credit average in commerce at UNSW?
And if you do happen to just fail one subject, is that Co-op gone?

milkyways

HSC
chloe169 said:
how terrifying.. geez, no pressure guys :(
Well, I guess if we all got in the high 90s (most Co-ops), then we shouldn't have a problem getting a credit average. Right guys?:worried:

sunny

meh.
HSC
A credit average is not as terrifying as it sounds - if you enjoy what you're doing its not a problem at all - even if you don't exactly enjoy it a little effort will go a long way.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
very bad,

if you earn less than $17000 a year, you cannot declair independancy, thus if you would like youth allownece you must do it by your parents income.

i've never had youth allowence before, never even knew it really existed until i saw someone else have it.

milkyways

HSC
So when exactly is the Co-op leadership camp? How many days is it?

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
milkyways said:
Well, I guess if we all got in the high 90s (most Co-ops), then we shouldn't have a problem getting a credit average. Right guys?:worried:
finance requires a distinction average gah!

chloe169

finance yo
HSC
Numero Uno said:
this has go to be bs
nope fraid not...

its in the scholars rules... and has been confirmed by various other sources including Kathy Walsch (finance director)

you doing finance co op too?

meyero

HSC
It's not crazy - finance is way easier than some of the other co-ops - like actuarial

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Sharpshooter said:
its ~$550 a fortnite? havent really checked. but 1st yr it certainly doesnt add up to the 13.4k, its less and they increase it every year so by 4th year your getting more than 13.4k since you got less in 1st yr. dont ask me how it works but apparently it does.
They withhold a certain proportion of your first year payments and give it to you in the course of your final year. When I was in first year (before the 2005 payrise), I got 10.5K instead of 12.5K.

But I'll get that 2K in final year (spread out over the course of my payments). This is to stop co-op students quitting the program early to do their own thing or take up a more lucrative offer.

If you do decide to leave before your contract is out, you don't see that money ever again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)