• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2007 exam (1 Viewer)

Dunnybrush

HSC
Describe how genes assist in the maintenance of health

Well i was stumped... I was gonna guess something about proteins and enzymes...

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
2nd dot point of 3rd topic

realy sumarised, ...

genees control the production of polypeptides

polypeptides control the development and behaviour of the organism

therefore, genees are required to control the development and behaviour and thus assist in the maintenance of health

If there is a malfunction in the gene, then the development and behaviour cannot me maintained...

can anyone else verify this ? thanks

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
Genes - control mitosis during growth and repair, by either indirectly or directly controlling the synthesis of all the structural and functional compounds in living cells. Genes determine the sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain – one gene controls the formation of one polypeptide. Proteins form membrane structures, determine structure, make catalysts, and form molecules of the immune system. Genes are important in maintaining health – if cells are damaged or destroyed the division of healthy cells replaces them. These repair mechanisms are under genetic control.

from my notes abit jumbled sorta but its in there

tau281290

HSC
 Genes control the production of proteins in the body (needed for proper functioning) and so healthy genes ensure the correct proteins are made.
 Through production of proteins (especially enzymes), genes ensure the correct cell processes occur, maintaining metabolism and homeostasis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)