2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes...because they're not totally useless already. ;)

Greens got more of the popular vote than the nationals at this election from what I heard in the herald. That's kinda of disturbing, given they didn't win a single seat. When will comely leader Rudd implement publicly beloved reform of politic meeting sector?

T

Testpilot

Nebuchanezzar said:
Bah. I expect that the public will be pretty well informed about that...
What world do you live in. Joe Everyman still believes that the Government has absolute control over interest rates.

jimmayyy

HSC
i wouldn't mind seeing Hockey up there contesting it in a few years. not right now, but give him maybe 3 or 4 more years of frontbenching and i reckon he'd have a good shot.

as for now, we are fucked.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I hope Bishop's up there just for the lols.
I cant claim to know too much about her, other than her pretty sub-par debating skills/wit, manish features and CRAZY EYES

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Bishop would be a good choice

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Kevin Rudd's master policies:

Say sorry to Aboriginals = Aboriginal life expectancy rises to 80 years old
Sign Kyoto = Global Warming Solved
Give 0.45% of GDP in African aid = End of poverty in Africa (corrupt black rulers are my favourite)
Give children a computer (even though 75% of HS kids in Australia have one) = Education revolution.

Saying "the buck stops with me" = you're absolutely liable for anything that goes wrong State or Federal.

Last edited:

hunter1

Evolution is a mystery
HSC
jb_nc said:
Kevin Rudd's master policies:

Say sorry to Aboriginals = Aboriginal life expectancy rises to 80 years old
Sign Kyoto = Global Warming Solved
Give 0.45% of GDP in African aid = End of poverty in Africa (corrupt black rulers are my favourite)
Give children a computer (even though 75% of HS kids in Australia have one) = Education revolution.

Saying "the buck stops with me" = you're absolutely liable for anything that goes wrong State or Federal.
:lmao

Generator

HSC
N/A
Mr Turnbull supported by Ms Bishop or Mr Robb. Though few could manage to replicate Mr Howard's 'everyday' style, I think that Mr Turnbull has what it takes be a capable Opposition leader (and a successful PM, one day). Given the nature of today's Labor (i.e., as aspirational as the Libs), it's unlikely that Mr Turnbull's personal wealth would be a political liability, and his string of successful careers outside of politics would limit the impact of any argument that questions his experience.

As for the position of deputy, both Ms Bishop and Mr Robb seemingly posses not only the traits required of a potential leader (skill, ambition, ticker, etc.), but also the political capital that the Liberal party as a whole needs if it is to reestablish itself (Ms Bishop through the strength of the Party in WA and through her WA foundraising connections, and Mr Robb through his previous roles with both the National Farmers Federation and the Liberal Party). That said, both would represent something different. Whereas Julie Bishop would in theory reinforce Mr Turnbull's moderate liberal outlook (see here), Mr Robb, as a self proclaimed conservative (e.g., he was the Convenor of Conservatives for an Australian Head of State and see here), would balance the leadership ticket and preserve the oft-mentioned broad church tradition of the Liberal Party.

As always, time will tell, but from outside the castle walls looking in, I think that a Turnbull and Bishop/Robb ticket would work well for both the Liberals and the country at large. As for the other contenders for the leadership positions, Mr Nelson seems capable, but his past and his at times reactionary style may not play well with many, and Abbott is now out of the race (see here). For the position of deputy, from what I can gather Mr Pyne seems OK but when considered alongside Ms Bishop and Mr Robb he just wouldn't cut the mustard.

I sound like such a wanker, trying to pass myself off as being somewhat informed. Go me!

Edit: A simple leadership change will not address all of the other problems facing the Liberal Party, but it is a start.

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
They need to steer away from anyone that's prominently religious like Mr Robb IMO (Mr Abbott, Mr Howard, Mr Turnbull, to an extent Mr Costello and even Mr Rudd).

I think the public would just prefer not seeing them on TV going to Church every Sunday.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Have I missed something pretty major?
Why is Bishop even being talked about? - apart from her being a WA Woman

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

Rafy said:
TPP: ALP 53.5 / 46.5 Coalition
Primaries: ALP 47, Coalition 42, Greens 6, Others 5
Seats: Labor 85, Coalition 63, Independent 2
Thus in approx 2 weeks time, Kevin Rudd will be invited to form a government and will be sworn in as Australia's 26th Prime Minister.

[...] It's unfortunately not pointing to a close election. A comfortable Labor majority (But not a landslide) is most likely.
As of a few minutes ago, the result stood at:
TPP: 53.1/46.9
Primaries: ALP 43.9, Coalition 42.1, Greens 7.5, Other 6.5.
Seats: Labor 85, Coalition 63, Independent 2

In hindsight 47 for the ALP was not realistic given their primary vote is usually split with the greens. It did not affect the TPP prediction much however, as most of it came back to the ALP through preferences.

___

A number of seats are still on a knife's edge. Postal votes are apparently favouring the coalition.

Bowman: ALP lead by 21 votes.
Swan: Liberal lead by 29 votes.
Herbert: ALP lead by 36.
Dickson: Liberal lead by 248.
Solomon: ALP lead by 427.
Macarthur: Liberal lead by 481.
Flynn: ALP lead by 590.

K

katie_tully

Anybody else got Bob Brown on their myspace friend list?

I just got this;
27 Nov 2007 7:25 PM
Subject: Greens pass million milestone
Body: The Greens’ vote in the Senate has exceeded one million. The final count will near 1,080,000 compared with 917,000 in 2004.
In other outcomes the Greens:

Supplanted the National Party as Australia’s third largest political party – by a country mile;
Rescued the Senate’s balance of power through winning a seat in South Australia (Sarah Hanson-Young) as well as Nick Xenophon;
Busted the Senate quota barrier (14.2%) for the first time – In Tasmania, with 17.74%;
Scored a new record high percentage national Senate vote (9.02%);
Scored a new record high percentage Senate vote in any electorate (ACT – 22%);
Gave Labor the preference flow to win 21 seats, including Bass, Braddon, Bennelong and Bowman;
May well pass the Liberals in Melbourne to score over 22% (with candidate Adam Bandt) and will peg Labor’s Lindsay Tanner to closer than 55-45 in two party preferred;
Will go into the next Senate with between 5-7 seats (1998 – 1 seat; 2001-2 seats; 2004 – 4 seats) and hold or share the balance of power;
Increased the Greens Northern Territory vote to 9% from 7.7% after opposing the Howard government’s intervention laws which Rudd Labor supported.

“In the Howard-Rudd context, this has been another electoral advance for the Greens, who do best when Labor, rather than the Coalition, is in office,” Greens leader Bob Brown said today.

K

katie_tully

That depresses me so much.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Have I missed something pretty major?
Why is Bishop even being talked about? - apart from her being a WA Woman
a) Woman
b) Appease WA Liberals
c) Didn't have a hugely prominent role in JH's government

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But she's not particularly talented is she? Ive always seen her as a bit of a joke, with the "naughty boy" quip to Rudd and stunned mullet response to Chaser

edit: and the rather tactless scare against the maoist teacher's unions

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)