2008 NRL Premiership (1 Viewer)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Re: Which Team is going to Take Out the 2008 NRL Premiership?

Heart says Roosters, head says Melbourne.

historykidd

HSC
wuddie said:
love the hate, but if luke lewis is so good, why hasn't he played origin since god knows when, or why isn't he playing for aust? reason, gidley is the best utility on this land, and he only played a poor game on wedn as did the whole team.

roosters played well last night, obviously with a few players desperate to get the origin thrashing behind them. penrith had the potential, but they tried to go wide way too early.

newcastle on good odds to beat the cowboys, i got $20 on them.
well thats a bit of a bad argument isn't it? simply because he isn't playing for australia doesn't make him a bad player - see matt bowen, alan tongue etc etc who are all good players that selectors often overlook.

matter of the fact is, in the last two appearences, gidley has been nothing but average, or below average, for the NSW blues. he clearly isn't comfortable as a half or a hooker and shouldn't be playing there. for that matter, neither should steve simpson. for mine he has never looked at home in a nsw jumper. if anasta was given a few games to determine his worth as an origin player, or lack thereof, so should the newcastle players.

on the other hand, luke lewis can cover almost double the positions that kidley can (lock, wing, centre, second row, halfback, five-eight) and is a noted defender. he is the 18th man for NSW and deserves his shot, even if it is over simpson rather than kidley (who is, i suspect, the darling of the channel 9 team).

historykidd

HSC
u-borat said:
Roosters set piece plays rival Melbourne in their efficiency.
ahh we have a long way to go until yet my boy ;)

skd scares me everytime he touches the ball, he never seems completely comfortable.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Agreed, I still don't know why we let John Williams go...
At least SKD has stopped doing his best E.Grothe impersonations and rushing up on any and every centre that runs wide...
We need some outside backs; Perrett doesn't look comfortable anywhere cept fullback, and M.Aubs and Sa have their future in the backrow IMO.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
historykidd said:
well thats a bit of a bad argument isn't it? simply because he isn't playing for australia doesn't make him a bad player - see matt bowen, alan tongue etc etc who are all good players that selectors often overlook.
i didn't say he is a bad player, he is bloody good - but just not as good as gidley in the role of utility. gidley got no excuse for his below par games at rep level. it may be because he injures himself at the worst of times and every time he gets to play, he feels he has to proof something.

but i agree, if gidley can't find his feet at rep level, lewis should get a go at it. after all, he has played soo and aust before.

HSC
tigers smashed by parra :O

tigers are in the same boat as penrith if they are consistent they'll make the 8 i reckon.

and ouch at nsw getting belted 30-0, and wallace looks in doubt for origin 3. get ready for...

6.) bird
7.) gidley

qld by 50 :jaw:

ledzeppelin

HSC

The only team I could see beating Melbourne in a Grand Final would be the Roosters or Cronulla
However, I can't see Croulla getting that far in the first place, and the Roosters seem to have the odd shocking game in them this season, so I'd have to go with Melbourne at this stage
Depends on the ref as well tbh. If it's Archer, gg Melbourne

HSC

id love to say the sharks (im a supporter) but as long as brett kimmorley has a No.7 on his back we cant win. Melbourne will be strong again and have to be favourites but if darren lockyer is fit i reckon the broncos. roosters cant win it this year. mitch pearce is a good player, probably will become a great player, but not quite there and braith anasta's early season form has all but deserted hm.

Last edited:

Trajan

HSC

I'm rooting for the Storm. :)

but I'm barracking for the Roosters.

jessyy

HSC

i hope penrith wins!! no harm in hoping i suppose!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
finch should play if wallace is out, he has been great recently, instrumental in eels' victories. gidley should not be a chief playmaker by any stretch.

knights had a scrappy win against the hapless cowboys. both teams were ordinary and knights were lucky to get this one.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i've mucked it up with merging the thread of 'nrl top 8' into here, instead i've merged it to the cricket thread. thank god it only got a few posts.

but guys, please keep all nrl related topics here and here only! what is the point of this thread if we are going to have 50 other threads talking about the same subject?

historykidd

HSC
wuddie said:
finch should play if wallace is out, he has been great recently, instrumental in eels' victories. gidley should not be a chief playmaker by any stretch.

knights had a scrappy win against the hapless cowboys. both teams were ordinary and knights were lucky to get this one.
agreed.

i want to see gidley play fullback to see how he goes in origin but stewart hasn't done anything to lose his position (yet).

also, what does everyone think of mateo? a worthy inclusion in coming years perhaps?

mull over this.

:santa:

historykidd

HSC
barbecuedflava said:
yeh feleti mateo has really bloomed this season... but is he a kiwi?
declared loyalty to aus., or more specifically, for the world cup, to tonga.

he'll be able to play origin next year.

ledzeppelin

HSC
wuddie said:
how would you go about the changes for the roosters after 46-0 from last week?
Been meaning to reply to this thread for a while
Adding the four State of Origin players we had out would be the first step

wuddie said:
i insist the game was lost because bellamy was outcoached by meninga. wallace made way too many tackles, not that the opponents came looking for him, but the other way. the defence was too compressed, yet there was still no changes in the second half. and the penalties killed the blues.
I think we lost the game because of the team that was picked, specifically with the lack of props.
Fitzgibbon's been in terrific form this year, but at lock, not at prop. I don't understand why you'd use him as a battering ram when he's clearly not cut out for it, especially against players like Price and Civonaceva.
Simpson, again a backrower, played one game after being out for most of the season and yet got rushed right into the team.
White made 7 runs for less than 50 metres.
The bench was made up of Laffranchi, Tupou, Simpson and Gidley ffs, meaning there was only one proper front rower in the entire team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)